RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Clicking noise during hard acceleration/reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 06:06 PM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clicking noise during hard acceleration/reverse

Hi, I'm currently experiencing a clicking noise during hard acceleration and or reverse. The click only happens one time and goes away but randomly clicks one time during certain turns as well. It's not a on-going click, its weird. I'm not quite sure what the problem is and would appreciate it if anybody had experienced this before and can help me out. My mechanic initially thought it was a loose axle nut and tightened it up a little- it helped a little as the clicking went from consistent to hard acceleration only now. But the axle nut is currently torqued to 225 already, a little higher than the factory manufactured spec but the click is still there.

As of today, he thinks it might be the CV shaft going bad because he said there was a little looseness and play but the boots are not leaking grease at all, hes not 100% certain but thinks it might be the cv shaft. Any help would be appreciated. I'm hoping that it might be the wheel bearings so the cost of repair will be substantially lower, but does a worn wheel bearing make a clicking noise at all? or just groaning ?

Thanks
Old 08-11-16, 07:21 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

I have a similar issue, although I wouldn't describe it as a "click" though, more like a "tick" sound. When I first noticed it last spring, it was very noticeable coming to a stop or accelerating away. Once it made the noise in one direction (stopping or accel), it would not do it again until it made the noise in the other direction. Tightening the chassis bolts eliminated the noise for a while, it's been starting to come back this year, but not nearly as noticeable as it was initially, I really have to stomp on it for the noise to occur.
Old 08-11-16, 07:41 PM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Droid13
I have a similar issue, although I wouldn't describe it as a "click" though, more like a "tick" sound. When I first noticed it last spring, it was very noticeable coming to a stop or accelerating away. Once it made the noise in one direction (stopping or accel), it would not do it again until it made the noise in the other direction. Tightening the chassis bolts eliminated the noise for a while, it's been starting to come back this year, but not nearly as noticeable as it was initially, I really have to stomp on it for the noise to occur.
Right, a tick is probably a better word for the sound. I think we might have the same issue. Which bolts did you tightened to make the noise go away? So far I've only tightened the axle nut and would like to see if there's anything else that I can tighten up. How many miles did you when you first noticed the tick? and did your mechanics tell you what it might be?
Old 08-12-16, 06:33 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Wheel bearings will not usually click like you have described. It is more of a groan and vibration noticed while driving.

It may just be your brake pads shifting position as you go from reverse to forward or vice versa, or apply a lot of force, such as rapid acceleration. I had this on my ES350 and Lexus later had a service bulletin to install different pad shims. So I would service your brakes and make sure the pad backing shims are in place and maybe replace the brake pad shims and other hardware as it is usually sold in a kit with new holder springs. The cleaning and regreasing of the brake pad backs and shims, slider pins, and pad sliding surfaces during this procedure may help too.

Last edited by Clutchless; 08-12-16 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-12-16, 11:01 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Wheel bearings will not usually click like you have described. It is more of a groan and vibration noticed while driving.

It may just be your brake pads shifting position as you go from reverse to forward or vice versa, or apply a lot of force, such as rapid acceleration. I had this on my ES350 and Lexus later had a service bulletin to install different pad shims. So I would service your brakes and make sure the pad backing shims are in place and maybe replace the brake pad shims and other hardware as it is usually sold in a kit with new holder springs. The cleaning and regreasing of the brake pad backs and shims, slider pins, and pad sliding surfaces during this procedure may help too.
I have that noise too, usually noticeable backing out of my garage in the morning because of the echo off the walls. That's more of a light "thunk", bordering on "clunk" rather than a "tick" noise. I'm full of noise words this thread
Old 08-12-16, 11:07 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by Fpan87
Right, a tick is probably a better word for the sound. I think we might have the same issue. Which bolts did you tightened to make the noise go away? So far I've only tightened the axle nut and would like to see if there's anything else that I can tighten up. How many miles did you when you first noticed the tick? and did your mechanics tell you what it might be?
Oh, last spring I suppose I was around 125,000km. All I know is the Toyota dealership I was at said they tightened all the chassis bolts (any maybe anything else they could find that might need tightening I suppose). The tick noise is limited to the left front of the vehicle. Currently I only hear the noise rarely, maybe once every few weeks only if I literally floor it forward or backward from a (near) stop. When I first had the problem the noise occurred easily with every moderate stop or start. Travelling down a road with multiple stop signs made me sound like a clock, tick, tick, tick...
Old 08-12-16, 12:08 PM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Clutchless

I'm actually swapping out my brake pads and rotors this weekend so I hope it solves the issue. I'm really hoping its a worn tie rod or something else but they don't make the noise that I'm experiencing. It's like a metal tick noise. fingers crossed and let's see where this gets me this weekend; new rotors and brakes, clean and put silicon paste on guiding pins.
Old 08-23-16, 06:18 AM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any update to this?
Old 08-24-16, 11:01 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Work kept me really busy and I haven't had time to swap out the brakes yet. Will try to do it this weekend and see if it helps. Anybody else experiencing this issue ?
Old 08-24-16, 11:56 AM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try holding onto the brakes firmly and stepping on gas. If it still makes a sound, it should not be the brakes.
Old 08-25-16, 10:48 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This sound, I hear everyday on my LS. We have dialed it down to the brake actuator. Could be the same issue as yours? Not sure... but for the LS, they know there is a problem, we can't get corporate to fix the issue unless the warning lights come on.

here is an old thread a few weeks ago...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-bulletin.html
Old 08-29-16, 06:50 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

So I finally got to the brakes and rotor this weekend and so far I'm happy to say that the sound is gone. I had my brakes and rotors replaced at my local mechanics a few years back and he swapped out the factory with aftermarkets because it had more stopping power. But during the installation process, he left out the brake worn indicator pin and I did no even realized that until recently. The old pads were pretty worn down after 45k miles. What I did was order all new OEM brake kit, shims, brake pads and rotor discs from Lexus and spent about 2 hours replacing them.

What I think the culprit might be.

1) Caliper piston seized - When I tried to remove the caliper pistoln some of them were a little seized. I had to give it a good tuck and a few turns to loosen them up. Upon removal, I noticed that all the grease had dried. Cleaned that up and put on silicon paste and now its working good again.

2) Brake pad kit - I'm not sure if the old kits were damaged or what, but they were dirty and stuck to the caliper pretty good. Removed those and replaced with new ones.

After replacing it, the sounds has gone away for now but will keep track and report back if the sound comes back.
Old 09-02-16, 08:31 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Damn, the noise is still there. I noticed it when I was backing up into my drive way. Anybody else have any lights on this issue?
Old 09-04-16, 06:46 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a noise like this in my IS250. I re-greased the caliper pins and added grease where the pads move in the caliper. I placed grease on the left and right side of where the pad moves. This solved the issue for some time. It came back as the grease wore off about 10k in that car.
Old 09-08-16, 12:07 PM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I had a noise like this in my IS250. I re-greased the caliper pins and added grease where the pads move in the caliper. I placed grease on the left and right side of where the pad moves. This solved the issue for some time. It came back as the grease wore off about 10k in that car.
What was your odometer when it first occurred?

Trying to pin down the issue to either bearings or cv shaft at this point.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise during hard acceleration/reverse