RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Intermittent Morse code type noises similar to parking assist

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-16, 06:24 PM
DrDan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Morse code type noises similar to parking assist

I have a 2014 RX 350 that in the last few days is driving me nuts. I have an intermittent problem that comes and goes. When I start the engine and move perhaps the first mile or so, I get a strange beepity beepity Morse code sequence of beeps coming from the driver's armrest area, probably the tweeter speaker. It beeps quickly for about 7 or 8 beeps, has a very slight pause and does it again. The other night it was almost constant. Since mine was the only car on the street, no obstacles, no one in the blind spot and just minding my driving when beepity beepity "calling the mother ship" type sound sequences start. I went to the dealer this afternoon for my freebie wash and asked about the noise. "I dunno. I never heard that one before." I started the engine and beepity beepity. I tried to get the service writer to come out, but he was not at his desk. I grabbed my iPhone and took a video of the sounds (my recorder app went south) so the only way I could immediately capture the sound was to take a video. Sure enough it worked. I found the service writer and played it for him. We went out to the RX and I started the engine and a short time later, beepity beepity. The sounds came out almost immediately. He wanted me to leave the RX for further analysis, but I have two busy days ahead of me.

So, my question is has anyone else had an experience like this? I have heard many audio signals, but none with this sequence and immediate repeat. The other night, it drove my passengers crazy. My wife thought it was my cell phone, but it was turned off. The sounds are very unpredictable and random.

This is my first post since I moved over from the RX300 forum. I received good information from the folks over there and provided lots of good information in return, so I have faith in the readers of the forums.

Thanks

DrDan
Old 06-13-16, 11:34 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you post a link to that video here so we can hear the beeps?
Old 06-14-16, 12:01 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lock mechanism failure?
trunk or other door partially open?
seatbelt alarm?
Another key fob in the car?
Old 06-16-16, 07:35 AM
DrDan
Rookie

Just a quickie for the moment.

None of the suggested suspects above. I am having trouble converting my iPhone video to a wave format so I can upload just the sounds. I also have a mini hand held recorder, but it is a challenge to drive safely, listen for the beeps, start the recorder and get a long enough segment to send.

I am working on a few work around alternatives to get a long enough sound sample.

Hang loose

Dr Dan
Old 06-16-16, 08:33 AM
DrDan
Rookie

Default Morse code update

I cobbled together a sound clip that is decent.

There is the end of a news clip that is recorded because I was going to do a sound check with my recorder first. Then the noise appeared spontaneously at the same time while I was parked.

So I cobbled together a few replays.

There was an indication that the file uploaded OK. If not, let me know.

Dr. Dan
Old 06-16-16, 08:52 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't see a file or link...unless i'm missing it
Old 06-16-16, 04:06 PM
DrDan
Rookie

Default Morse code

I am sorry to report that even though I followed the uploading protocol, the file did not upload. I don't know if audio alone is not allowed. Since my iPhone video file was too large to send to my computer I did not try to upload it. Instead I made the .wav file that is smaller in size with a more generic format.

The .wav file I thought I uploaded didn't, even though it went through the motions of a successful upload.

Finally, I tried to search for Lexus site for specific instructions on uploading audio and could not find any. I think this is a major website usability shortcoming considering members who might want to upload but have no idea how.

So for the moment, unless there is someone in this thread who can post the process I am dead in the water. It is perfectly good .wav file. I can also convert it to a .mp3 format, but there is no assurance that ether format will work.

Standing by. The sound happened again once and maybe two times while running an errand this afternoon.

Dr Dan

tsk, tsk,
There are 18 smilies woo-hooing at me on this page, but no useful uploading instructions.
Old 06-16-16, 11:28 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

You could upload the video and audio to YouTube and give us a link.
Old 06-18-16, 02:40 PM
DrDan
Rookie

Try again.
Old 11-02-16, 06:37 PM
DrDan
Rookie

Mystery solved!

You are not going to believe this. It was not the Lexus, it was a thumb size, one small LED, type flashlight I picked up at a neighbor's garage sale for free.We used it for viewing the playbill at the symphony.Tiny, just enough light, a little bigger than my thumb print and noiseless—all the good features of a small, free flashlight.My thanks to the Lexus dealer's chief mechanic. It took a while and some luck to nab the culprit.I had about 4 to 5 months of playing Colombo the cop trying to piece together the evidence.It was random. Totally random. It was almost the exact same frequency as the parking assist warning. It sounded like it came from the left front speaker.After the last performance in June or so, the flashlight went into the arm rest console and the noises stopped. The new season started and it came out of the middle arm rest and into the driver door handle recess for convenience.When taking my neighbors to the airport the beepity noise started and almost would not stop. Three of us were in the car talking and there was road noise. I stopped at the dealer on the way home and the chief mechanic and I went for a ride and parked the car on the drive when the noise sounded. He leaned over and pointed to the flashlight. Huh? Flashlight?C'mon.No. No."Look and listen."Sure enough it was the flashlight beeping.On the side of the thing, the tiny, almost obliterated words Key Finder were there. I searched the Internet for "key finder" and sure enough, I found the identical unit. I didn't know it was more than an obvious flashlight.The advertising said to whistle and the key finder (which is supposed to be attached to your key ring) would beep so you could find your keys.As it turned out, any noise, radio sounds, door closing, tire noise, conversation, or A/C fan could and did trigger the "finder."It must have been tuned to trigger within a range of whistling frequencies.When I got home I put it on the work bench and whistled at it and to my amazement, it beeped back at me.The last I saw of it, it was in the garbage can. My wife would go berserk if she heard that noise again, even if I used it like it was supposed to be used. Mystery over.

Doc Dan

Old 11-04-16, 02:27 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

it was free, because it was driving your neighbor nuts in his Lexus too