RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How do I know if my RX 350 has tow package? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 12:19 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by akiapour
I do have a 2013 RX350 FWD without the tow package. I may need to tow a uhaul trailer for 600 miles and was wondering if I can install the Tow package now or should totally forget about towing anything.

If yes, does anyone know how much would it cost ?
You do not need a tow package to be able to tow. The towing package is a way for Lexus to make some extra money. For example, the upgraded alternator is really useful on the RX450h, which has no such device. The only thing that may be useful is the transmission cooler, but that's debatable.
Personally, I was looking for an RX that does not come with the towing prep package. It does not include the most important thing - the HITCH!

Buy a Curt hitch like everyone else (there's a video DIY out there) and add a trailer lights controller that the non-towing-prep vehicle is missing.
This one is a plug-in-play unit. Plug it in, pop the fuse under the hood and that's it.
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...id=20121174060

The FWD RX is not rated for towing. Personally, having the same body as AWD, and AWD being part-time anyway, I don't see what the big difference between the two would be.
I would have no reservations towing a small trailer.
Old 04-26-13, 02:02 PM
deilenberg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question - how would one check if they have the "tow-prep package"? Is the wiring connector for the trailer easy to find?
Old 04-26-13, 02:07 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberg
Question - how would one check if they have the "tow-prep package"? Is the wiring connector for the trailer easy to find?
The quickest way I can think of is to open the hood and checking if the 2 towing fuses are in their place. They will be missing if Towing Prep is not installed.
You could also check the sticker for your vehicle to see if it was installed.
Towing connectors are easy to find when you know where to look.
All of RXs will have the 4-pin under the bumper on the left side. The one under the right tail light may be hanging loose or will have a controller plugged into it.
Old 12-03-15, 06:49 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

Default Towing question for 2015 F-Sport

Does anyone know if the F-Sports comes with the towing prep or do they just have the oil/trans cooler installed? I just bought one last week, new 2015, and want to add a hitch. It looks like it has a cooler in front of the drivers front wheel, with vents in the wheel well and vents below the fog light.
Old 12-03-15, 09:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

ehc0720, have you checked for the tow prep package on your window sticker to make sure? The vents in the driver side wheel well are a good sign but just check to make sure. And when it comes to adding the hitch, instructions are here.
Old 12-03-15, 11:03 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
ehc0720, have you checked for the tow prep package on your window sticker to make sure? The vents in the driver side wheel well are a good sign but just check to make sure. And when it comes to adding the hitch, instructions are here.
I don't have the window sticker, I bought this in FL and I'm in NC. I will ask the dealer to send me a copy, I'm sure they can pull one if they don't have it anymore. I was just hoping some one here would know the answer.
Old 12-03-15, 12:21 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To get a list of options installed send an email to Customer_Satisfaction_Inquiries@lexus.com

I was wondering if you had a list of installed options and equipment that my Rx came with from the factory, here is my VIN:
JTHFXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-03-15, 02:31 PM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FLYCT
To get a list of options installed send an email to Customer_Satisfaction_Inquiries@lexus.com

I was wondering if you had a list of installed options and equipment that my Rx came with from the factory, here is my VIN:
JTHFXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks in advance,
Thank you, I sent them an email.
Old 12-07-15, 05:36 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

Well I got a copy of the window sticker, no towing pkge. Like I said before there is a cooler in front of the drivers side wheel with vents in the wheel well and in the front below the fog lights, is this standard on the F-Sport?

Also, I looked underneath behind the drivers side rear wheel and there is a wire connection there that is capped, I bought the Curt hitch and wiring connector listed on the forum .

The only thing I don't know about is if the converter is there in the rear of the passengers side, I'll need to take the inside out to have a look. Would I need the converter if I changed the lights on my motorcycle trailer to LED's, lower voltage shouldn't need the converter?!?!?!

Thanks all.

Well I tore into the backend passenger side of the car and the converter box is there. Talked to my salesman and he said all the F-Sports now come with the tow prep as standard, I talked to the parts and service folks and they said no that the F-Sport only comes std with the Transmission cooler not the whole tow prep pkge. and I'd have to at least have the converter installed, $115 for the part and $230 for the install. But anyway the converter box is there so I'll attempt the hitch install this weekend.

Last edited by ehc0720; 12-08-15 at 09:09 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 12-13-15, 06:13 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

OK, all done. The window sticker says nothing about the car having the tow prep pkge but it is all there. I installed the hitch (about and hour to do) and plugged in the Curt T-connection and all the trailer lights work. So $140 for the hitch and $15 for the wire connection is all it cost.
Old 12-15-15, 06:25 PM
bmaez
Driver

During our 2015 shopping experience we found the F-Sport "Tow Package" was not an option and adding a hitch would require the removal of a rear damper or control link of some sort.

Originally Posted by ehc0720
Well I got a copy of the window sticker, no towing pkge. Like I said before there is a cooler in front of the drivers side wheel with vents in the wheel well and in the front below the fog lights, is this standard on the F-Sport?

Also, I looked underneath behind the drivers side rear wheel and there is a wire connection there that is capped, I bought the Curt hitch and wiring connector listed on the forum .

The only thing I don't know about is if the converter is there in the rear of the passengers side, I'll need to take the inside out to have a look. Would I need the converter if I changed the lights on my motorcycle trailer to LED's, lower voltage shouldn't need the converter?!?!?!

Thanks all.

Well I tore into the backend passenger side of the car and the converter box is there. Talked to my salesman and he said all the F-Sports now come with the tow prep as standard, I talked to the parts and service folks and they said no that the F-Sport only comes std with the Transmission cooler not the whole tow prep pkge. and I'd have to at least have the converter installed, $115 for the part and $230 for the install. But anyway the converter box is there so I'll attempt the hitch install this weekend.
Old 12-16-15, 06:26 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bmaez
During our 2015 shopping experience we found the F-Sport "Tow Package" was not an option and adding a hitch would require the removal of a rear damper or control link of some sort.
I have since found that the F-Sports come standard (in a Lexus brochure) with the towing pkge and the hitch went on very easily and all the wiring worked. The damper does have to come off for the install (4 bolts) and then reinstalled after the hitch is in place.

http://www.lexus.com...RX-Brochure.pdf

Last edited by ehc0720; 12-16-15 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-21-16, 05:30 AM
rmoran99
Driver School Candidate

Default How do I know if my RX 350 has tow package? (merged threads)

I had a 3rd party hitch installed and they were able to hook up to the pre-wired harness with no problems. I've read that it would be best to have a transmission cooler as well to compete the "towing package" and allow me to comfortably tow 3,500. How do I know if I already have the transmission cooler on my model? Thanks

2013 RX 350
Old 05-21-16, 06:50 AM
airboss
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you search here you'll find pictures. But I think one of the ways you can tell is by looking in the forward portion of the left front wheel well, and there are openings for the transmission cooling air to escape.
Old 05-21-16, 08:09 AM
nelsonsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmoran99
I had a 3rd party hitch installed and they were able to hook up to the pre-wired harness with no problems. I've read that it would be best to have a transmission cooler as well to compete the "towing package" and allow me to comfortably tow 3,500. How do I know if I already have the transmission cooler on my model? Thanks

2013 RX 350
Email your VIN to Customer_Satisfaction_Inquiries@lexus.com, ask for the options installed. They sent me the complete build kist of my RX in 24 hours.
The following users liked this post:
jrod82 (02-07-18)

Quick Reply: How do I know if my RX 350 has tow package? (merged threads)