RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)

Old 10-23-13, 01:03 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Jim, chances are the dealer has changed the refills during service. I doubt they're original. I like to replace mine at least twice a year. I tried another brand years ago. One word, disaster. Since OE hasn't failed me, I'll stick with them. But it's good to know what else works well just in case.
Old 10-23-13, 01:42 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

I have had good luck treating my windshield with Glass Science Rain Clear. It works better if you first scrub the windshield with their Glass Scrub. It lasts for months and the water just flows off the windshield and wipers never chatter. It is easier to see in the rain with this stuff and you do not need to run the wipers as fast or often.
Old 10-24-13, 08:34 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
This one is for the books. I regularly wash my 2010 RXh and when I do, I clean the blades with the wash mit and rinse them while they're up in the air. I also keep the car in the garage. FWIW, I am still getting good use of my original blades with 55K on the car both front and rear.

I'll probably change them in the spring just because they're 'old' .
I still havent changed my blades and im at 64K miles. I also wash mine regularly and clean them with soap and water. Plus I guess i dont use them much. They still work like new. Does anyone know what brand our OEM ones are?
Old 10-24-13, 09:52 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I still havent changed my blades and im at 64K miles. I also wash mine regularly and clean them with soap and water. Plus I guess i dont use them much. They still work like new. Does anyone know what brand our OEM ones are?
When I purchase the refills they have Toyota part numbers on the bag. I have a local dealer so I pick them up from there. Maybe pay a few bucks less. And yes, the wipers are cleaned every time I wash the RXh with RainX treatment every month or so. Glass Science Glass Scrub is good. I'm not too fond of their rain repellent though. I also clay the windows during detail time.
Old 10-24-13, 10:56 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

I heard from my buddie who is a car junkie, (over 25 cars in 10 years, owning multiple cars at a time) that the OEM wipe blades are Trico Teflon Shield. When I bought them as replacments, they looked just like the original blades.

RainX and Rain Clear were invented by the same guy. He sold the RainX company then later developed Rain Clear, a second generation product and, I guess after the non-compete expired, started selling the new product.
Old 10-27-13, 12:44 PM
NorthGa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just re-afirming what has been said........

.......yes, washing the blades is important. I use the 'dobie' brand of scrubie which is strictly plastic and gently 'scrub' the blades with it. Makes blades last a very long time and keep the 'swipe' clean on each stroke.
Old 10-28-13, 04:58 AM
euroja153
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer changed my wiper blades for the first time after 4 years, I didnt think my original blades were in bad condition, but I guess they were. $33 plus tax for all 3 blades inc installation.
Old 10-28-13, 10:27 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM Blades are the best hands down. Not sure what materials they use but the rubber on them is much softer and last twice as long as any other aftermarket. I do polish my windshield every other month and have not had to replace mine in 2 years.

Anyone has any input on "properly" replacing the rear wiper blade on the 3rd gen?
Old 07-27-14, 02:19 PM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Is wiper replacement a secret for 2013 RX?

I've had my 2013 RX 350 for a year now, and figured it's time to change the wiper blades. I went to the "My Lexus" info page, and tried everything I could think of, but could find no info on how to change the wiper blades. The owners DIY maintenance had loads of info for everything except wiper blades. WHY? They showed how to change oil, brake fluid, washer fluid, fuses and even the headlights......but no mention of wipers....not even on the maintenance schedule. I then went online and typed in "How to change wiper blades on a 2013 Lexus RX 350". I got nothing that would help! My blades look like nothing that was ever depicted, and I could find no release clips.
I imagine this information is out there somewhere, but why doesn't Lexus even mention it? Maybe the OEM wipers will last the lifetime of the car?? Doubtful. Maybe Lexus wants you to just show up at a dealership when a blade goes bad. Still can't imagine a reason not to mention it anywhere.
Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-27-14, 11:59 PM
roy7777
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

We only need to replace the rubber part.
According to Sewell website:
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X350-2013.html
Driver side: 85214B => 8521468020
Passenger side: 85214A => 852140T040
(If you googled the part number, you might find some other stores also selling it, but I think Sewell is cheap enough.)

How to take out the old rubber part?
Look closely and you will find that it can be pulled out from one end.
No release clips.
Just pull it out hard.
May the force be with you.

For example, the driver side:
Name:  KLWy08D.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  85.3 KB

Of course we can still remove the whole wiper blades, pry that piece then remove the wiper.
Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)-v4m7dap.jpg

Last edited by roy7777; 07-28-14 at 08:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (03-09-18)
Old 07-28-14, 06:49 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/How...er_Inserts.pdf
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (03-09-18)
Old 07-29-14, 08:11 AM
erom43
Rookie

Thanks Roy and greeknasty. I did run across the Sewell site, which depicted the rubber insert replacements, but did not depict a blade assembly that looked like mine. My real question is why is this info such a secret? Roy's photo is the first time I have seen the release clip of my wiper depicted anywhere. Questions:
1. Why is there no mention, much less explanation, of wiper blade replacement anywhere in my manual, or on the Lexus web site?
2. Can we only replace the inserts, or can we replace the entire blade assembly?
3. If so, what kind of blade type can be used on this car, and what kind is recommended?
I have been replacing wiper blades on my cars for over 40 years. If your owner's manual shows you how to change a tire, refill washer, battery, coolant and brake fluids, and replace fuses and bulbs......why would they omit wiper blades?
Old 07-29-14, 08:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I wouldn't call it a secret. We have a few threads here on how to replace the wiper inserts like this one. It's included with some of the dealer services. Lexus probably didn't include it since they don't have to be changed too often. My dealer has promotions every once in a while, $30 for replacements and installation.

Only the inserts are replaced. They're the same size as the Toyota Highlander. No need to go to the Lexus dealer. Or you can order them from Sewell. Information about what blade type to use is in the first thread I linked or by doing a search within the forum. Opinions are all over the place.
Old 07-30-14, 11:25 AM
roy7777
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by erom43
3. If so, what kind of blade type can be used on this car, and what kind is recommended?
I personally like Bosch and Valeo (from France).
From Bosch's website,
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Vehicl...artFinder.aspx
Front Right: Icon 22B
Front Left : Icon 26A
Rear : H409

From tire rack,
Valeo: http://tinyurl.com/k2w5w69
Front Right: 900-22-1B
Front Left : 900-26-1B

Then we search the part no. in Amazon, and might find a cheaper price and lots of reviews.
I think it's easy to find Bosch ICON in local stores, but not Valeo.
Old 07-30-14, 04:58 PM
erom43
Rookie

I understand that the best and easiest method, is to just replace the inserts, and it appears that Sewell might be the best and cheapest for that. My car is fourteen months old, and the wipers seem to be in pretty good shape, but I have always heard that they should be replaced every six months to a year, at least here in Florida. That's why I started this investigation. I used to just buy inserts years ago, until all they started selling was the full blade assemblies.
The real puzzlement, is why Lexus completely omitted this issue in any of its publications. The 22 and 26 inch blade sizes are straightforward enough, but what if I wanted to try a different blade assembly? Could I use an Anco, Bosch or Valeo and is there a limitaion on what style I can use? You guys have been helpful, but I still haven't found a reason for there being so little info out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)