RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013, 2014 or 2015 RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 05:21 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013, 2014 or 2015 RX350?

Giving up my ten year old BMW X3. Always looked at the RX and thought I'd try it - now is the time.

I started shopping 2013's, in the 30k range. Saw some 2014's in the 30-33k range, then found a 2015 FWD with nav I'm hoping I can steal for $35k. Any differences I need to be aware of, if I have to roll back to 2013 or 2014?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-16, 06:36 PM
NRX
Driver

I am in the same boat. Been looking for a 2013-2015 RX 350. Test drove a 2015 and a 2013 on Friday. The 2015 had an engine droning kind of noise. But the 2013 had no such noise or otherwise. I asked the dealer about it but didn't receive a satisfactory answer.

BTW ... 2014 and onwards comes with Siri Eyes Free ... if you're an iPhone user.

I am not sure if any of these models come with NFC (near field comm.) so we don't need to remove the key fob from our pockets. Perhaps owners could chime in with this info.
Old 02-28-16, 07:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

My 2013 operates fine with the keys in my pocket.
Old 02-29-16, 07:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

There are not a lot of differences in those three years.

As noted above, the '14 added Siri Eyes Free if you have an iPhone. The '15 changed the fog lights from halogen to LED (a simple fix on '13 and '14s). Other than that, there was a slight change in '14 to the shape of the **** for the remote touch for nav, and they changed the "LEXUS" lettering on the center stack from gold to silver. I can't think of any other changes. I'd just look for the best deal.
Old 02-29-16, 10:32 AM
NRX
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
My 2013 operates fine with the keys in my pocket.
Thanks for confirming! I am hoping this is a standard feature and not an option.
Old 02-29-16, 11:25 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
There are not a lot of differences in those three years.

As noted above, the '14 added Siri Eyes Free if you have an iPhone. The '15 changed the fog lights from halogen to LED (a simple fix on '13 and '14s). Other than that, there was a slight change in '14 to the shape of the **** for the remote touch for nav, and they changed the "LEXUS" lettering on the center stack from gold to silver. I can't think of any other changes. I'd just look for the best deal.
my 15 has regular fog lights. this may be something that comes with hid headlamps.
Old 02-29-16, 11:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NRX
Thanks for confirming! I am hoping this is a standard feature and not an option.
It's standard.

Originally Posted by lexus114
my 15 has regular fog lights. this may be something that comes with hid headlamps.
Interesting. I thought the LED fogs were standard for '15. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 02-29-16, 07:29 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Air boss, any issues with the X3 that keeps you going back? More of a curiosity question.
Old 03-01-16, 03:38 AM
airboss
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rj4510
Air boss, any issues with the X3 that keeps you going back? More of a curiosity question.
It's been a great vehicle. I bought it with 10k miles on it, I've put 96k on it in 8 years. Blew an oil/air separator a two weeks ago that ended up running $1500, plus a leaking expansion tank, for $2130 on a vehicle worth maybe $8/9k. I spent about $3k a year or so ago, so just getting tired of spending money on it. The shop is 30 minutes away and it is a pain to drop it off, get a ride, etc. The Lexus dealer will be ten minutes further, so probably ought to be buying certified from them so they'll come get mine, but at least they should give me a loaner (BMW would too, if I took it to the stealer).

It drives great, has great utility (I've towed a small trailer with it, moving kids to and from college), back seat folds down to carry 'stuff'. Love the way it drives, accelerates, handles. I commuted 145 miles each way two or three times a week for five years, and the AWD drive was fantastic. Honestly, I drove way faster than I should have in some really crappy weather, but it never slipped once.

I've looked at the RX series for a long time, but figured they didn't drive as 'sporty' as the BMW. That being said, I have a Z4 that I drive during the summer, so I'll have my acceleration/curve fix with it. My commute is now about four miles each way, so really, spending $35k on an RX350 is overkill. My wife drives a '14 Avalon Hybrid, so we have the full-size car covered. But, I keep coming back to something 'newer', with some comfort, bells and whistles. I'm old enough to understand they bells and whistles fade, but I'm looking for something big enough to take four guys to lunch and not have to apologize for making them shoehorn in (of course, the rest of them drive either small pickups or GMC mid-size SUV's, so they have not much more room than my X3).

I'll miss the towing capability of the X3 (although it is time for my kids to move their own stuff, lol), I'm sure I'll miss how it drives, how it sounds, how it accelerates, but I don't think I'll miss the cost of maintaining that wonderful german engineering. I think most of all, I'll miss the heated steering wheel!
Old 03-01-16, 05:56 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by airboss
It's been a great vehicle. I bought it with 10k miles on it, I've put 96k on it in 8 years. Blew an oil/air separator a two weeks ago that ended up running $1500, plus a leaking expansion tank, for $2130 on a vehicle worth maybe $8/9k. I spent about $3k a year or so ago, so just getting tired of spending money on it. The shop is 30 minutes away and it is a pain to drop it off, get a ride, etc. The Lexus dealer will be ten minutes further, so probably ought to be buying certified from them so they'll come get mine, but at least they should give me a loaner (BMW would too, if I took it to the stealer). It drives great, has great utility (I've towed a small trailer with it, moving kids to and from college), back seat folds down to carry 'stuff'. Love the way it drives, accelerates, handles. I commuted 145 miles each way two or three times a week for five years, and the AWD drive was fantastic. Honestly, I drove way faster than I should have in some really crappy weather, but it never slipped once. I've looked at the RX series for a long time, but figured they didn't drive as 'sporty' as the BMW. That being said, I have a Z4 that I drive during the summer, so I'll have my acceleration/curve fix with it. My commute is now about four miles each way, so really, spending $35k on an RX350 is overkill. My wife drives a '14 Avalon Hybrid, so we have the full-size car covered. But, I keep coming back to something 'newer', with some comfort, bells and whistles. I'm old enough to understand they bells and whistles fade, but I'm looking for something big enough to take four guys to lunch and not have to apologize for making them shoehorn in (of course, the rest of them drive either small pickups or GMC mid-size SUV's, so they have not much more room than my X3). I'll miss the towing capability of the X3 (although it is time for my kids to move their own stuff, lol), I'm sure I'll miss how it drives, how it sounds, how it accelerates, but I don't think I'll miss the cost of maintaining that wonderful german engineering. I think most of all, I'll miss the heated steering wheel!
I have an 07 Z4 as well and it fulfills my need to burn around turns and twisties. Almost went with an X3 or 5, but this is my primary vehicle and didn't want to shell out the extra on maintenance. It's been a good compromise though my wife keeps saying she'd prefer a tad stiffer ride. I think the plushness is second to none and I'm the car enthusiast, so go figure. You can get the heated wheel with the luxury package. Depending on your area, this package may or may not be plentiful. I gave up looking for one in Phoenix. They probably get shipped out to other states with most of our AWDs. I would have liked an AWD, but while available, couldn't quite get one for the budget I was in, unless older. Found one and it smelled like an ashtray, so definitely reflected in the price. If you want a stiffer ride, look for an F Sport, but they usually want a mint for them.

The RX is a sweet ride. Took me a bit to warm up to it, but no regrets, other than wishing I had gotten an AWD, even though I only ever used my old one twice in 13 years. It cost me way more to maintain and sucked gas like a pig, but still liked that option. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 03-01-16, 06:02 AM
airboss
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rj4510
I have an 07 Z4 as well and it fulfills my need to burn around turns and twisties. Almost went with an X3 or 5, but this is my primary vehicle and didn't want to shell out the extra on maintenance. It's been a good compromise though my wife keeps saying she'd prefer a tad stiffer ride. I think the plushness is second to none and I'm the car enthusiast, so go figure. You can get the heated wheel with the luxury package. Depending on your area, this package may or may not be plentiful. I gave up looking for one in Phoenix. They probably get shipped out to other states with most of our AWDs. I would have liked an AWD, but while available, couldn't quite get one for the budget I was in, unless older. Found one and it smelled like an ashtray, so definitely reflected in the price. If you want a stiffer ride, look for an F Sport, but they usually want a mint for them.

The RX is a sweet ride. Took me a bit to warm up to it, but no regrets, other than wishing I had gotten an AWD, even though I only ever used my old one twice in 13 years. It cost me way more to maintain and sucked gas like a pig, but still liked that option. Good luck on your hunt.
Sounds like we've traveled the same path. I thought about an X5, and guess I should go look at what's available, but wanted something a little smoother. I had a '97 z3 and sold it, finally bought a '09 z4.... def a nicer ride than the z3.

I found a nice (loaded) 15 FWD in Oklahoma last week. The dealer (non L) and I were $500 apart. I've read the AWD discussions, and while I've had AWD the past eight years (and glad I did), I drive 8 minutes to work on city streets. If it's that bad, I'll stay home. That being said, the AWD is certainly nice for traveling in rain, etc., but we typically fly most places we go. Still trying to decide whether nav/comfort packages outweigh AWD. I'm kind of funny, when I see the one I want, I tend to get tunnel vision on making the deal on that vehicle.
Old 03-01-16, 07:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
It's standard.

Interesting. I thought the LED fogs were standard for '15. Thanks for letting me know.

well, i bought my 15 sight unseen from my dealer. not going to do that again. i didn't get the hid lights (although i have no problem with the halogen lights) or rain sensing wipers. but not sure if that one really matters.. these two things slipped by me and the deal was already done so.....but i am very content with it at least. it is a very good car.
Old 03-01-16, 07:43 AM
airboss
Pit Crew

well, i bought my 15 sight unseen from my dealer. not going to do that again. i didn't get the hid lights (although i have no problem with the halogen lights) or rain sensing wipers. but not sure if that one really matters.. these two things slipped by me and the deal was already done so.....but i am very content with it at least. it is a very good car.
Appreciate that insight. I'm juggling two 2015's - one has Comfort Package but isn't certified....

My wife had rain-sensing wipers on her old Avalon, her new one does not. She would like to trade.

Just to be clear, are these 'don't ever touch the switch, they come on when it rains', or 'speed sensing'?

FWIW, just had a gal at a Lexus dealer tell me they would probably knock $1000 if I wanted one of their cars 'non-certified'. That is interesting that they consider the extra two years of warranty, plus two years service (max four events), worth $1000.
Old 03-01-16, 07:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I see now that the LED fogs come with the HIDs or the LED headlights.

Originally Posted by airboss
Appreciate that insight. I'm juggling two 2015's - one has Comfort Package but isn't certified....

My wife had rain-sensing wipers on her old Avalon, her new one does not. She would like to trade.

Just to be clear, are these 'don't ever touch the switch, they come on when it rains', or 'speed sensing'?

FWIW, just had a gal at a Lexus dealer tell me they would probably knock $1000 if I wanted one of their cars 'non-certified'. That is interesting that they consider the extra two years of warranty, plus two years service (max four events), worth $1000.
The rain sensing wipers in the RX are (at least in theory) "don't touch". They activate and self adjust to rain intensity and vehicle speed when you leave them in the AUTO position. In my experience, they work moderately well. There are times when I need to step in and command them when they are reacting too slow to too fast, though.
Old 03-02-16, 06:06 AM
CableMan67
Driver School Candidate

I love my 2015 RX 350 F sport, gas is cheap now, not really concerned with the gas mileage. I have the Hid lights and led fogs, it looks good.

Quick Reply: 2013, 2014 or 2015 RX350?