RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

So grateful for advice...Audi vs Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 11:30 AM
Shel1fish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks for advice

Thank you!

Last edited by Shel1fish; 02-27-16 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Can't figure out how to delete - question answered and problem solved
Old 02-27-16, 12:01 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Based upon my experience with VW (we've had several - and Wifie's 2014 has had its issues even before it was delivered); you might not find the need to be constantly reminded of your plight each time you returned to the dealership, were you to switch to a car that you enjoy and can trust.

And based upon my experience on this message board, you won't find many RX owners with issues such as yours.

While I'm still a happy Bimmer Z4 owner, I chuckle at my son's advice given as I was researching a (my current) new car - that I am still intending to own for the long term: "...Dad, you Lease a German car; but you Buy a Japanese car...".

Last edited by NateJG; 02-27-16 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-27-16, 12:55 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My father's 2010 only had a few problems since purchasing from the dealer. We've only fixed stock antenna, replaced a shock, and some recalls all done for free by the dealer. Other than that, it's only had oil changes. Car is pretty much maintenance free.
Old 02-27-16, 05:43 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

LOL.

My wife wanted a blue Audi Q5 so bad until she sat in it and actually saw how drab the interior was in a 2012 model.

She drove the car for a mile and said let's try the Lexus.

The Audi does look sportier than the RX, but it is not as nice overall in reality when you get pass the exterior styling.

VW/Audi are not the most reliable cars around when you have to own them outside of the warranty period.

I had a few VW cars(2010 CC 3.6, 2006 VW GLI, and 2003 Passat GLX V6) so I have been burned a few times, but they are fun to drive hence why I keep giving them another chance.
Old 02-28-16, 04:25 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I absolutely LOVED looking at and driving my 2003 GLX. In the 124K miles over 11+ years, I had to replace:
- 2 engine mounts (what idiot designed a hydraulic engine mount that wouldn't last?!?)
- rear shocks
- two CV joints
- 1 battery
- two torque converters
- 1 transmission
- $5,800 worth of remanufactured 5-valve/cylinder heads (and requisite chains)
- two timing belts
- two water pumps
- two sets of brakes
- two valve cover gaskets (that, when they leak and drip oil onto hot engine parts - the smell is drawn in via the cowl induction for the cabin)
- windshield (not VW's issue)
- hail damage (again, not VW's fault)
- front seat (the heater failed and actually burned a hole through the leather, charred my cakhi slacks, and burned my derrière)
- front seat heater control (after the literal PITA)
- fuel pump (caused the burned valves which caused the need for the valve/head job)

Since I had paid cash for the car when new, I could "absorb" the costs of repairs over the years since they weren't being added to the car payment - but geez - those repairs hurt.

Every time I paid to get the car back to where it should have been I again LOVED driving that car! But I seemed to have bought it 1.5 times.

A half year after I sold it, the second transmission went out - and the neighbor college kid had to put in a Used transmission - BECAUSE VW COULDN'T COME UP WITH A REMAN UNIT (they only had New units).

Soured me.

Despite this, Wifie wanted (and got) another Beetle (it is a really really nice car - I just hope...)
Old 02-28-16, 07:23 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never again consider an Audi based on VW parent company's fraudulent behavior.
Old 02-28-16, 10:56 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

My brother in law owns a 2010 Q5. I personally don't see why he doesn't burn it to the ground. There isn't a single repair that has cost him less than $1,500. The dumbest things break and cost a fortune. Audi seems to have an insane policy of not selling parts individually. Need a 10c clip for a grip handle? You have to buy the whole grip. Lost a clip for his mud flap! Not available, remove it or buy a new set. Motor mounts, oil leaks, fan motors, HVAC, it never ends and the car only has 70k on it at this point.

At least BMW sells parts individually and at least in the case of my Z4, the car has cost next to nothing to run.
Old 02-28-16, 10:27 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
I absolutely LOVED looking at and driving my 2003 GLX. In the 124K miles over 11+ years, I had to replace:
- 2 engine mounts (what idiot designed a hydraulic engine mount that wouldn't last?!?)
- rear shocks
- two CV joints
- 1 battery
- two torque converters
- 1 transmission
- $5,800 worth of remanufactured 5-valve/cylinder heads (and requisite chains)
- two timing belts
- two water pumps
- two sets of brakes
- two valve cover gaskets (that, when they leak and drip oil onto hot engine parts - the smell is drawn in via the cowl induction for the cabin)
- windshield (not VW's issue)
- hail damage (again, not VW's fault)
- front seat (the heater failed and actually burned a hole through the leather, charred my cakhi slacks, and burned my derrière)
- front seat heater control (after the literal PITA)
- fuel pump (caused the burned valves which caused the need for the valve/head job)

Since I had paid cash for the car when new, I could "absorb" the costs of repairs over the years since they weren't being added to the car payment - but geez - those repairs hurt.

Every time I paid to get the car back to where it should have been I again LOVED driving that car! But I seemed to have bought it 1.5 times.

A half year after I sold it, the second transmission went out - and the neighbor college kid had to put in a Used transmission - BECAUSE VW COULDN'T COME UP WITH A REMAN UNIT (they only had New units).

Soured me.

Despite this, Wifie wanted (and got) another Beetle (it is a really really nice car - I just hope...)
WOW.

I had to only deal with a sunroof drain issue that allowed water to pool on the floor panels with my old 2003 VW Passat when it hit about 60k miles.

I just traded the car when that happened since I knew it was going to rust underneath the carpets no matter what VW said other wise.

I moved on to a 2001 Volvo S80 T-6 twin-turbo that was going cheap with low miles, very bad move since those cars had weak transmissions that burnt me a couple years later.

To be honest, my 1999 Toyota Camry XLE V6 have been the only car I have owned over the years that was trouble free until I traded it in when it hit 110K miles ironically for the 2003 VW Passat; ever car after the Toyota Camry was plagued with some problem or another before 100k miles or soon after.

My old Camry was not the fastest or best looking car, but it was the most reliable by far.

However, I am still a tool for quick cars.

I glad my wife have better sense than me and chose the Lexus RX, whereas I would have gotten an nearly useless non-practical Infiniti FX50S.

Last edited by carguy75; 02-28-16 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-29-16, 05:32 AM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdshaw
I would never again consider an Audi based on VW parent company's fraudulent behavior.
What jd said. I am not sure I would say 'never', but at least for the next decade.
Old 02-29-16, 06:45 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I moved from Lexus to an Audi for my DD. I'm very happy with the Audi so far.
It may not appear at first sight, but Audi is refined to a higher level and a Lexus.
As far as driving experience, my S4 beats the RX hands down.
If the S4 proves reliable, new Q7 might replace the RX.
Old 02-29-16, 07:13 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I moved from Lexus to an Audi for my DD. I'm very happy with the Audi so far. It may not appear at first sight, but Audi is refined to a higher level and a Lexus. As far as driving experience, my S4 beats the RX hands down. If the S4 proves reliable, new Q7 might replace the RX.
I almost made a move to Audi based on perceived refinements. They can keep their refinements and associated repairs and maintenance costs. Their parts and availability model may work in Europe, but it's insane here in the states. Fun to drive, depends. I've driven freakishly fun cars that were a second away from a big bill and it gets old quick.

We all should like what we drive. I'll admit I'm somewhat disappointed in Lexus being behind the curve on driving dynamics and features, but knowing I can get to my destination without a huge inconvenience possibly looming and keeping my maintenance costs to an absolute minimum, so I can have other toys is a big factor. Good thing is, we all have choices and VW would be out of business if everyone thought the way I do. That said, I keep my cars for the long haul. If I was leasing, I'd drive German all day long.