RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

TPMS solution to new sensors, inop sensors, and puzzling heads up display.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 10:57 AM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS solution to new sensors, inop sensors, and puzzling heads up display.

The following may be a solution to your TPMS frustrations...

I Recently purchased new winter wheels, tires, and sensors from tire rack.com along with the TPMS reset tool ATEQ Quickset. With this tool one is no longer held hostage by the dealerships reset cost and the hours of travel and waiting for your car. After watching the ATEQ Quickset uTube video online, one should be able to master the benefits within a few hours training.

With this tool holding up to four cars, one is able to store the previous summer tire set IDs, 'wake up' and store the new winter set IDs all with in minutes of laptop installation.

The added bonus is that you can rearrange installed TPMS code to always reflect how they are displayed on the heads up display . My selection is the 2 & 3 are the front and 1 & 4 are the rear.
This procedure is easily by creating another same car on number four, downloading the codes to the summer section, drag and drop to the winter section according to the pattern you want ( this may take some thinking), download to the tool, then up load to the car computer via OBDII connection.
This procedure can also be done for installing new sensors and rotating tire.

Food for thought...
Note: TPMS sensors cannot be turned off or disabled and from what I am told are required 'active' to pass inspections ... plus it has free upgrades that can be used on future Lexus cars.... also batteries in TPMS lasts for 5-8 years and I am told must be replace totally.

Now I thought the one time fee of $120.00 was worth my time.

Good luck if you try,

Gampa
Old 01-14-16, 01:10 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The latest version of the Carista app also lets you program TPMS sensors. I don't know if it lets you rearrange their order, though. And it's cheaper than $120.
Old 01-15-16, 12:18 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by litzdog911
The latest version of the Carista app also lets you program TPMS sensors. I don't know if it lets you rearrange their order, though. And it's cheaper than $120.
Carista carista carista

I am sure we will be hearing an answer soon

I also wonder if this functionality is available on the 4RX
Old 01-15-16, 02:10 PM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carista?

I sent a poster from Carista a private message asking if this functionality made it into the production version yet, and received no reply. Last I looked at their website it wasn't noted.

Gampa, you do have to know the sensor IDs, right? I also bought winter tires and wheels from TireRack but did not get the tech software, so I paid Toyota an unreasonable sum to initialize the new sensors, but I don't have the sensor IDs from my summer tires to use if I do get the software.

Jonas
Old 01-15-16, 07:35 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Jonas,

When you get new TPMS with wheels and tires installed from tirerack.com, 4 IDs should have been sent with the paperwork. If you did not get them, ( couldn't find mine either), just call them and have them emailed to you.

When I first downloaded ID numbers on the quickset, I picked up the original sensors that correspond to the summer tire set. I save these to the summer sections then loaded each of the new iIDs from tirerack in the winter section, downloaded to the quickset... connected the OBDII and with the car on (but not running), up load the summer or winter IDs, what ever you are using at that time. I takes a few minutes to load. If it does not happen try shutting car off the car then turn on with motor not running.
Note: The new IDs from tirerack should initialize or wake up the sensors.
One important note is the when uploading new sensors IDs to the computer, you must be 40 to 50 feet away from the previous sensor IDs or it may not take.

Gampa

Last edited by Gampa; 01-15-16 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-16-16, 05:30 AM
HiggsBosun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also purchase sensors that are configurable. The tire shop can clone your summer tire Lexus sensors to your winter tire configurable sensors so that the TPMS system recognizes the sensors no matter which set of tires you have installed at the time. This is a one time activity that permits you to change over your tires without reprogramming the TPMS system.

Last edited by HiggsBosun; 01-16-16 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-17-16, 08:41 PM
siwo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiggsBosun
You can also purchase sensors that are configurable. The tire shop can clone your summer tire Lexus sensors to your winter tire configurable sensors so that the TPMS system recognizes the sensors no matter which set of tires you have installed at the time. This is a one time activity that permits you to change over your tires without reprogramming the TPMS system.
I recently inherited my late father's 2015 ES350 and have no idea what he has done. It currently has snow tires mounted on his set of old GS rims and aftermarket TPMS. Is there any possible way to gain access to the ID for the tpms in order to clone them? Is this a common practice for tire shops to clone them by any chance? I'm concerned about going back to the dealer and wasting my time with appointments twice a year!!
Old 01-18-16, 07:21 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gampa
Jonas,

When you get new TPMS with wheels and tires installed from tirerack.com, 4 IDs should have been sent with the paperwork. If you did not get them, ( couldn't find mine either), just call them and have them emailed to you.

When I first downloaded ID numbers on the quickset, I picked up the original sensors that correspond to the summer tire set. I save these to the summer sections then loaded each of the new iIDs from tirerack in the winter section, downloaded to the quickset... connected the OBDII and with the car on (but not running), up load the summer or winter IDs, what ever you are using at that time. I takes a few minutes to load. If it does not happen try shutting car off the car then turn on with motor not running.
Note: The new IDs from tirerack should initialize or wake up the sensors.
One important note is the when uploading new sensors IDs to the computer, you must be 40 to 50 feet away from the previous sensor IDs or it may not take.

Gampa
I wasn't clear with my question. I got the sensor IDs with the winter tires/wheels from TireRack and they are programmed into the car, so the quickset will find them.
My question is about the summer wheels/tires - will I have to have those sensor IDs for the quickset to work when I put them back on, or will the quickset discover them?

Thanks,
Jonas
Old 01-18-16, 08:30 AM
Gampa
Rookie

Jonas,
Good question, just place one of the summer tires in the rear hatch , start with a new car input, move the car 50 feet from the other summers, and see if the car computer picks it up on the spare slot.
I will experiment over the next few days and get back, unless someone else has the answer.
.... Also when I take off the winter set I plan on someway marking the TPMS id code on the inside of the wheel.
Gampa
Old 01-18-16, 02:07 PM
HiggsBosun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by siwo
I recently inherited my late father's 2015 ES350 and have no idea what he has done. It currently has snow tires mounted on his set of old GS rims and aftermarket TPMS. Is there any possible way to gain access to the ID for the tpms in order to clone them? Is this a common practice for tire shops to clone them by any chance? I'm concerned about going back to the dealer and wasting my time with appointments twice a year!!
Sorry to hear about your father. Yes there are devices that wirelessly read the sensor ID and then can clone it to a new clone-able sensor. Many tire shops have this tool available to them. Possibly your father has already done this and the sensors in your winter tires are already cloned to your summer tires. A decent full service tire shop can help you with this.
Old 01-18-16, 04:53 PM
Super Blue
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by siwo
Your lexus dealer can read the ids on the aftermarket sensors as well, cloning them, I don't know so much about. I had to get my aftermarket sensors read on my RX. Got charged around $100.00, may be cheaper if you're in the states.
Old 01-19-16, 09:13 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Jonas,

It appears my theory on searching for lost sensor IDs is wrong. The quick set reads IDs when they are in the cars computer through the OBDII port and installs or refreshes the new code through the OBD II port, for the other wheel set ... it appears you must know them and install them through the Quickset tool.

There are probably other tools on the market that reads the TPMS codes. In that case if you do not know what those codes are, one might suggest looking around for an installation shop that might read the code at a cost you are happy with...After you have them, the Quickset tool can install them in the order you choose.

If you had the tires installed at the dealership, I would start there to see if they documented the originals sensor IDs.

Good luck on you journey,

Gampa
Old 01-20-16, 06:12 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Gampa, thanks for the explanation. Tools that can sense/read the sensors are wicked expensive. I'll need new summer tires soon after switching the summer wheels/tires back on, so I'll have whoever get the numbers from the sensors then.