RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Door Sensor - I can't be the only one ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 03:05 PM
mlowe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I do appreciate that you searched before posting. But dont hold your breath for an answer as the post you quoted was many years ago. [3+]

Salim
Quick Follow-up

I forgot I purchased the extended warranty when I purchased my Lexus. The warranty covered the repairs less my $100 deductible. It was the drivers side actuator.

Mlowe
Old 01-10-19, 03:12 PM
mlowe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
CasaWolves - We had the same problem with our 2011 RX350 passenger door, 71K miles. Lock replaced at the dealer for $571 OTD. Now the same thing is happening to the driver's door. I did some research, found three "how to" vids on YouTube, and the part on Amazon for $40. It's not easy if you're not familiar with auto body work, but you can decide for yourself after viewing the YouTube videos. Here is a link to another post in this forum where I started my research.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...xus-rx350.html
BTW, I was puzzled about researching this forum too. Here's how...Click "Search This Forum" at the top right of the Sticky Threads area. Type "door actuator" in the box. Click GO. All the posts with door actuator contained therein will populate. Good luck.
I'm installing my new door actuator this week. Wish me luck.
Ray A.
Thank you for the info on how to search the threads. It was the door actuator. I also viewed the YouTube video. It looked too hard and time consuming for a DIY project for my spouse. Then I remembered I purchased an extended warranty. Took my Lexus to the dealership, got a loaner (which was covered by the warranty), got my Lexus washed and vacuumed for free, and I only had to pay $100 deductible.

Mlowe
Old 01-11-19, 08:16 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mlowe
Thank you for the info on how to search the threads. It was the door actuator. I also viewed the YouTube video. It looked too hard and time consuming for a DIY project for my spouse. Then I remembered I purchased an extended warranty. Took my Lexus to the dealership, got a loaner (which was covered by the warranty), got my Lexus washed and vacuumed for free, and I only had to pay $100 deductible.

Mlowe
Thank you for the follow-up. I got an actuator from Amazon ($40). Watched the YouTube door actuator video several times and put it on my cell phone to watch as I worked. The job took a long time, about three hours. Had trouble getting the door panel off because of a screw not mentioned in the video. Had trouble getting the old actuator out because the window track had to be disconnected, also not mentioned in the vid. Getting the new actuator in was a daunting task because of interference and tight quarters. I had to insert the outside door handle push rod into the actuator by feel because it's impossible to see. The connector to the little light at the bottom was very difficult because it's awkward. Ended up removing the light, attaching the wire, the replacing the light. Very easy doing it that way. When it was all put back together, it all worked perfectly. Thank goodness. Saved $500+ but the mechanics that do this earn their money!
Ray A.