RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 02:30 PM
rdgallo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation Upgrade

How does one update the map software on the navigation system on this (and I guess other Lexus) models? I have a Garmin portable unit that uses "City Navigator" and after a year or two, one can purchase an update to these maps showing all the street changes/points of interest, etc. How is this accomplished on the Lexus nav. systems?
Thanks
Old 10-14-09, 04:07 AM
pulp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the US RXs use HD navigation so i am guessing it can only be upgraded by the dealer.

over here our RXs still use DVD based navigation so its a matter of switching the DVDs, the DVD drive is hidden in the storage area under the center console but you have to remove the plastic trim/cover to get to it.
Old 10-14-09, 11:36 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the older models ran based on a nav disc, so you would just swap the discs and you would have the better version. However, I think now, there is still a nav disc and you put it in the CD drive and it will "install"
Old 10-14-09, 04:22 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

With the previous gen nav that's in the LX/LS, it's updated by a USB drive. Probably the same with the RX.

Funny how many questions this topic gets... in the end who cares what the update process is? Either you pay to get it or you don't.

With my Infiniti EX35, also a HD based system, it was a flash card.
Old 10-15-09, 05:42 AM
jay_man2
Rookie

I just bought a 2910 RX 350 on Saturday, and it's hard drive based, and has the latest map version. There is a setup screen to update the map, and some warning about charges associated with it. I got the impression that the NAV could be upgraded over the air, the same way a Lexus Enform operator can send an eDestination to the NAV.

Knowing I already had the latest version, I didn't hit the upgrade button to see what would happen.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-07-20)
Old 10-15-09, 09:12 PM
rdgallo
Driver School Candidate

Tazdevl, I just wanted to make sure there was a way to update the navigation system and how. That was my reason for posting the question.
Seabone726 (04-07-20)
Old 10-16-09, 09:49 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

NP. I don't think anyone would put a nav in a car without some kind of update process. They've been out for quite some time (more than a decade), so not having a way to update would be outside the norm... the means of updating have changed in recent years as the tech has.
Old 12-09-14, 05:17 PM
yeehawbob
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NAV upgrade

So this time of year I start getting mailers for discounted navigation software upgrade/update.

My 2010 model's navigation sucks big time, but general sense of direction and a look at the map has saved me from circling around my destination point.

I wanted to get the update, but the initial cost of $140 for the USB and then the added cost of $320 from $tealer to perform the update has kept me away.

Is there a cheaper option available to update?

TIA
Old 12-09-14, 05:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

yeehawbob, I don't know where you got $140 from. My dealer quoted me around $95 for the USB update on my '10 a few weeks ago. Even Sewell has it listed for $93.94 with the discount. Here is the link. As far as installation, prices may vary. I'd suggest you call around to a few dealers.
tomgarv (10-11-21)
Old 12-09-14, 07:34 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a special on through December. Should cost under $100.
Old 12-17-14, 08:46 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I talked to my $tealer and the nav software is $99, but installation is another $99.99, so I wouldn't call the update only $99. I called a non-dealer here in Dallas, and they tell me the dealer has to install it (at least for my 2011 RX 350).

I've found the part (PT219-HDDG6-14) for just under $85 online, but it still requires dealer installation. Still looking for alternatives.
Old 12-30-14, 04:37 PM
yeehawbob
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antigeek
I talked to my $tealer and the nav software is $99, but installation is another $99.99, so I wouldn't call the update only $99. I called a non-dealer here in Dallas, and they tell me the dealer has to install it (at least for my 2011 RX 350).

I've found the part (PT219-HDDG6-14) for just under $85 online, but it still requires dealer installation. Still looking for alternatives.
My point is that the $tealer installation is the added cost to USB update. I have been quoted $320 but it could be that I went to most expensive area/$tealer in Bay Area, so maybe another one will charge slightly less.

In the end the Nav update will cost me about $200 at least.
Old 01-05-15, 10:29 AM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i stop using my nav after google waze and other iphone/android app. I find the maps much better than the system. I was going to update mine but i find I dont use it at all
nsnqst (10-14-20)
Old 07-26-15, 06:24 AM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Upgrade

I have a 2011 RX350 that I bought new. Want to update the navigation system. Dealer is telling me it is a complicated process and they need to do it. I understand it is a USB stick so how tough can it be? Anyone with experience doing it?

Thanks
Old 07-26-15, 07:17 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are a number of other threads and discussions about this.

The net is, IMO it's not complicated, but a 3rd Gen RX REQUIRES you both purchase the USB stick, then have Lexus Service connect to their proprietary system to unlock the copy protection of the USB stick so the data on it becomes usable. There is no way around that. My personal opinion is, the process was likely put in place given unscrupulous people that may have copied former non-copy protected CD/DVD/USB data solutions...

Hopefully 4th Gen RX will go back to allowing us to do the update ourselves as some other newer Gen Lexus Vehicles are allowing with updates coming on newer media types, but details like that remain to be seen after the new RX becomes available. There is also more info on the Lexus Navigation Site if you're interested.

For now, you're stuck needing to have some Lexus Service Dept enable a USB Stick that you can buy from any authorized Lexus supplier. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Navigation Upgrade