RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 07:42 AM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just add-on what Bertl already said, it requires a licensedToyota Techstream software and USB unlocked key files to connect to Toyota server for downloading map data files.
Old 07-26-15, 07:50 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

And if your dealer's Internet connection bandwidth is not up to par (as was my dealer's) the process can take hours (mine took two visits).

Ask whether they've done it before (on your model/year); and be sure that the experienced technician is not on vacation for your appointment.
Old 07-27-15, 07:34 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

C$350 with my dealer. Cheaper to buy a GPS LMT but not as nice, of course.
Old 07-28-15, 08:57 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It took 2 trips and 3 days with a loaner for me. The tech couldn't figure out how to do the upgrade. They had to reorder the update software. I would venture a guess, it is way more complicated than it needs to be.
Old 07-28-15, 01:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Saying the update is a 'complicated process' would give me the impression the dealer has had problems before doing it. I had mine updated last year for the first time while the 450h was getting an oil change and tire rotation. Keys were back in my hand within an hour.
Old 08-08-15, 03:32 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

We updated our 2010 RX a few months ago. The Nav system was 2 versions old. Our dealer had a $99 software special and charged me 1 hour of labor ($125) to install. The update was worth it especially being 2 versions old. I like the ability to use Lexus Drivers on the computer to enter in trips and download them to the RX, This has worked very well. On a recent trip in downtown Chicago the Lexus directions were better than using Google Maps on an iPhone at the same time.
Old 08-08-15, 10:01 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I need to do this as my 2010 is I don't know how many versions old.
Old 09-02-15, 08:17 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2010 rx350 navigation data update

I purchased cpo rx350 about 6 months ago and data is older than vehicle. I am at the dealer right now getting the update. I was told I can take about 2 1/2 hours to update and it will cost about 350!!
Has anyone here done nav update?
Old 09-02-15, 09:23 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
I purchased cpo rx350 about 6 months ago and data is older than vehicle. I am at the dealer right now getting the update. I was told I can take about 2 1/2 hours to update and it will cost about 350!!
Has anyone here done nav update?
Nope, lets know if it is worth upgrading, new features, etc.
Thanks
Old 09-02-15, 01:13 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

I don't know if I've been taken advantage of, but this is story.
My 2010 rx map data prior when I purchased it read v.8.1 meaning 2008 map data.

The newest map data version, as far as I know, that Lexus offers is v.14.1 meaning 2014 maps.

I finally get my vehicle drive away and I see that everything looks exactly the same. I then checked what map data version I had and it read v.8.1.
I went right back to dealer and service rep. Tells me Lexus updates entire system not just data. The data version in car will not change but internally it has been updated. He said there is no way to know if it's updated.
I am bit busy now but I will do some research on this and find out if Lexus of Queens is full of it.
So far if this is what I paid 368 dollars for, it's not worth updating. I'll keep u guys posted
Old 09-02-15, 01:24 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

PR FIEBRU, That explanation doesn't even make sense... the whole point in displaying the Nav Version is to determine the Date of the Data. The upgrade does not change the hardware, screen, processor, none of that.
It only changes the Data, phone numbers, highway numbers, newly opened (and closed) roads. If your display still shows 8.1 (Data published fall of 2008, OEM for a 2009 model car) then you did not get anything for your $'s.
Check by locating a new business (plenty since 2008!!) and see if it displays properly on screen. If is still says
Circuit City or other out of business info then you are still living in the past.
Old 09-02-15, 08:54 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
I don't know if I've been taken advantage of, but this is story.
My 2010 rx map data prior when I purchased it read v.8.1 meaning 2008 map data.

The newest map data version, as far as I know, that Lexus offers is v.14.1 meaning 2014 maps.

I finally get my vehicle drive away and I see that everything looks exactly the same. I then checked what map data version I had and it read v.8.1.
I went right back to dealer and service rep. Tells me Lexus updates entire system not just data. The data version in car will not change but internally it has been updated. He said there is no way to know if it's updated.
I am bit busy now but I will do some research on this and find out if Lexus of Queens is full of it.
So far if this is what I paid 368 dollars for, it's not worth updating. I'll keep u guys posted
Instructions for verifying what database is loaded is here;
http://www.lexusnavigation.com/check-map-age/

I think your tech is wrong. If yours still states 8.1 , print out and show the dealership the instructions above and ask for an explanation. I think the update did not take.

Let us know what yours displays.

Last edited by FLYCT; 09-02-15 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-02-15, 08:55 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Angry

Originally Posted by mcomer
PR FIEBRU, That explanation doesn't even make sense... the whole point in displaying the Nav Version is to determine the Date of the Data. The upgrade does not change the hardware, screen, processor, none of that.
It only changes the Data, phone numbers, highway numbers, newly opened (and closed) roads. If your display still shows 8.1 (Data published fall of 2008, OEM for a 2009 model car) then you did not get anything for your $'s.
Check by locating a new business (plenty since 2008!!) and see if it displays properly on screen. If is still says
Circuit City or other out of business info then you are still living in the past.
Reason I wanted update is cause I'm taking a trip to ocean city tomorrow and wanted latest map data.. I have to say Lexus dealer scammed me .. I paid 368 dollars for a car wash and some granola bars!! I typed up circuit city and they all popped up! Incredible!!! I will contact Lexus corporate and I will have them take care of it.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-07-20)
Old 09-02-15, 09:16 PM
jmanthony
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear of your experience with the dealer. Hopefully the folks at corporate will get them pointed in the right directions. Map updates for car gps systems is one of my pet peeves. I use Garmin for our motorcycles and one of our former cars. Map updates come about quarterly and they are free. One of our gps also has free traffic.

John
Old 09-02-15, 09:56 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

I agree portable Gps and cellphones are best ways to get around.. Nonetheless I want my car to be currently updated. I just made purchase of car and a 2008 gps is almost cometely useless..
I just can't beleive how a Lexus dealer scammed me... I even went back to verify and they just game me lame excuse.. I'll send corporate a email tomorrow. I'm gonna be away for a few days so I'll hopefuly take care of this when I come back.

Quick Reply: Navigation Upgrade