RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Display Audio vs. NAVI (2013+ RX350)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 10:22 AM
kp1pbr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Display Audio vs. NAVI (2013+ RX350)

I look forward to being an RX350 owner and currently scouting for one.

I am looking at used 2013+ RX350 and would like the opinions and inputs to those that got the display audio package. I'd like to hear the pros and cons and if anyone had wish they'd purchase an RX with NAVI.

And for those that have NAVI how good is the system and do you think it's worth the extra cost?

Thank you all.
Old 07-22-15, 09:45 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I think it's worth it to get Nav but you will find many passionate opinions on that subject if you search a bit on this or just about any other automotive forum. I like the larger in-dash display but many people are frustrated with the need for occasional and somewhat expensive updates. Some prefer the small screens and additional distraction of a smartphone or stand-alone GPS unit as they don't have the expense of the updates and are more accustomed to the interface. You will find a wide split on this topic so I would say follow your own heart. If resale is a concern to you, I believe you will find your vehicle is easier to sell or trade if it has GPS but is it truly worth the cost? Probably not, kind of a luxury. I have it in both of my cars and wouldn't buy another car without it.
Old 07-23-15, 05:55 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First, welcome to CL!

Doug hits it pretty much on the head for me too. With a quick search, you'll find other threads in this forum with some vocal people that say they don't like Nav and wouldn't have it. Me personally, I wouldn't have a ride without it, and I keep my iPhone and various mapping apps in my pocket as backup should my Nav (in my Lexus, MBZ, or former BMW) for some reason ever fail me.

Builit-in Nav Pros:
  • Integrated with the vehicle; It's a pre-req for advanced options like HUD that I also consider a must-have now that I've owned and used it for 3 years
  • Esthetically better than having charging wires looped up onto the dash for standalone units, suction cups on windows, etc. that can also scream to potential thiefs there may be things of interest in your vehicle if you don't put it all away every time you park
  • As a disconnected-from-the-net option, there is no one potentially tracking your location or destination, and you don't have to worry about cellular data plan cost or connectivity the more you use maps, or where you may choose to travel
  • Arguably a safer option with it's larger display, requiring less time for your eyes to be off the road, especially if one does not keep a standalone unit mounted higher and closer to your line-of-sight at all times. FWIW, if you have HUD (with builit-in Nav), you'll visually see turn and distance info in front of your eyes as you look out the windshield, along with current MPH -- and of course verbal Nav announcements if you have those turned on (I keep mine off most of the time, as the visual cues are almost always sufficient, and the larger Nav display is still there with detail at a quick glance if I need it.)
  • If you elect to continue the optional Enform service after the free trial with a new vehicle, you can simply press a button and talk to a live person to find your destination or a business phone number, who can send it to your vehicle while you're on-the-road and your Nav just takes over providing directions to your destination.
  • Depending upon the MY, traffic updates are performed via an optional SiriusXM Traffic Service (which costs $3.99/mo after the trial), or uses free FM-based traffic service (which is what Lexus has stated they are migrating all future vehicles to)
  • Covered by the Lexus Warranty as well as the Lexus Extended Warranty if you have it (up to 8 years)
  • Possible higher resale value. Most RX are delivered with Nav.

Builit-in Nav Cons:
  • Traffic Updates do not include crowd-based sources (like available via some smartphone mapping apps) if that is a priority for you
  • Nav Voice Activation can be problematic for many. IMHO, how the Nav says street names, turns, etc are generally as good and have it's own varied oddities no different than any smartphone app does. However, Lexus Voice Recognition is just flat out not very good for how my voice sounds, whereas use of Voice Activation to a mapping service via a smartphone is generally much better (including if you use something like Siri Eyes Free).
  • Cost. Nav is more than most standalone GPS units, especially if you care about continual map database updates. Nav is also perhaps more than using a smartphone with mapping (not knowing service provider service cost and availability), assuming of course you already need a smartphone and are OK with the "pay for the free app by providing your data" approach at least one of the more popular mapping services involves. As mentioned earlier, if you have older MYs and want traffic info, it requires a $3.99/mo SiriusXM subscription.
  • Nav Map Database typically lags online versions, but in my personal experience, both can still take years to represent say new subdivisions in parts of the country I've lived in. As I've written in other 2RX and 3RX threads, this has not generally been an issue for me where I've lived and owned Nav in 3 different States, traveling to 15+ States in Lexi with Nav. It is a problem for some. It all depends if you live and frequent areas that are new developments or not, where in my experience it can take months or years to get new roads into online mapping databases, and even longer to get onto the standalone Nav Map Database. On average, I personally have updated my Nav Mapping Database once in each of my Lexi that I've owned 5-7 years each. (THIS is the Lexus site with details about Navigation, map database content, etc.)

Wash -- It's a Tie
  • Ability to send a map destination from a PC/Mac or Smartphone App to the Nav. I won't try to go into the nuances on this as it would take me a very long time to even try and describe all the combinations, but I'll just say IMHO, there are as many pros as there are cons how Lexus does this with their Nav, as to how things operate with smartphone only app environments I've played with. While it's not part of your question, I find my present MBZ to be the closest to "my perfection" with the multiple fee/free options it provides in this regard.

I'm sure I've missed some things, but there's at least my first cut at a complete pro/con list attempting to be fairly neutral in my response and personal preferences ...and as Doug says, opinions will vary greatly. Let the arrows fly.

OP, good luck in your pursuit!

Last edited by BertL; 07-23-15 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added HUD reference to "safer option"