RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tow Prep Package-do I have it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 01:52 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tow Prep Package-do I have it?

Is there a way just by looking at an RX to see if it comes with a towing prep package?

Also is there is a Lexus VIN decoder website that would enable to see this info when looking at vehicles, would be much appreciated as well.
Old 07-07-15, 02:17 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

One of the ways I can think of is pop the hood and check the fuses. Towing and Towing battery will be missing w/o towing prep.
Old 07-08-15, 06:31 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

What is powered by "Towing" and "Towing Battery"?
Old 07-08-15, 07:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NateJG
What is powered by "Towing" and "Towing Battery"?
There's a connector behind the right tail light. Towing prep package includes the trailer lights controller that plugs into it. That's where the power goes. I'm not sure what the difference between the two is. I plugged both fuses in to get the power to this connector when I installed a generic [powered] controller there.
Old 07-08-15, 08:25 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Look inside the driver side wheel well. If it has the tow package there will be slots in the fender liner lower down toward the front for venting the transmission cooler.
Old 07-08-15, 08:59 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Is there also a connector under the dash into which one can connect a brake controller in the factory-installed towing package?
Old 07-08-15, 09:20 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NateJG
Is there also a connector under the dash into which one can connect a brake controller in the factory-installed towing package?
Not that I know of. I can't say for sure without looking at the wiring manuals (which I don't have).
Old 07-13-15, 08:00 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Thanks guys. It appears that there's no way to determine if an RX has the package by a photo picture.

Can OEM tow prep package items be installed on an RX otherwise not equipped with those items
(OEM oil cooler and harness)?
Old 07-13-15, 09:00 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Yes, you can install OEM Towing-prep items. But, it will cost a pretty penny. The only useful item there is the transmission cooler and maybe the larger radiator. You can still tow up to 2,000lbs without it.
Old 07-13-15, 09:12 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Am I the only one that would feel really uncomfortable towing with an RX? I would think the short wheelbase would be an issue, and HARD on the transmission that isn't really built to handle the rigors of towing. Particularly a CV trans!
Old 07-13-15, 09:17 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Yes, you can install OEM Towing-prep items. But, it will cost a pretty penny. The only useful item there is the transmission cooler and maybe the larger radiator. You can still tow up to 2,000lbs without it.

On OEM Towing -equipped RX there must be a special wiring harness with a female connector installed behind the panels in the rear hatch area. This enables plug-in connection of a wiring harness that comes with towing hitch.

How do you connect tow hitch harness to RX that's not equipped with Tow Prep package?
Old 07-14-15, 06:30 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Regarding Kostyan's comment that you cannot tell if it has the tow package from a photo. As I posted above, just look inside the driver side front wheel well for the air vents.
Regarding your last post, Curt hitch makes wiring harness kits that attach to your brake light wires for vehicles that do not have factory tow packages.
I installed my own Curt hitch and have the tow package. When I removed the rear under body trim panel and looked up inside the rear bumper, the wiring harness connector was present, held in with a zip tie. I cut it loose, removed the protective plug and plugged in my hitch harness. My trailer brakes work fine. I only tow a converted single jet ski trailer for carrying my kayaks. The weight is minimal.
If you do not have the tow package you can have a local repair shop or hitch/camping shop install an additional after-market transmission cooler. This is done all the time. I did it on my old Ford Explorer just to lower the trans operating temperature and improve longevity. I also installed a Magnefine in-line filter. You can look them up on Google. I did the same thing to a Mazda and a Honda. However I am a backyard mechanic and only paid for parts. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=871886

Last edited by Clutchless; 07-14-15 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-16-15, 09:24 AM
nparmelee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We added the Curt hitch to my 2010 450h, both of us have been busy so we had a local place do it for us. No tow prep package and it cost a little more because of the additional work for the wiring harness but so far so good. We tow bikes and kayaks mostly. With my '08 350 that did have the tow prep, we had no problem pulling fairly heavy loads, always stayed below the 3500 pounds. We won't tow as heavy with the 450h, but it will be called in to use for small projects as well.
Old 07-21-15, 01:36 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kostyan
On OEM Towing -equipped RX there must be a special wiring harness with a female connector installed behind the panels in the rear hatch area. This enables plug-in connection of a wiring harness that comes with towing hitch.

How do you connect tow hitch harness to RX that's not equipped with Tow Prep package?
You need 2 components. First is the towing lights converter. Most generic ones will do.Just make sure you get the battery-powered one, as the battery output is already on the harness. That harness is located behind the right tail light. The converter will be missing there.
I believe I had this one laying around from my previous car:
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/59187

Second one is the 4-pin plug that goes under the rear bumper.
This is the connector you will need:
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/56083

P.S.
Don't forget to plug in fuses for towing under the hood.
Old 04-08-18, 08:16 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

How do I find out if I have the Trailer Tow Package? I have a cooler in front of the driver side tire. But I had to add the trailer wiring harness (Lexus part).

I'm going to be towing 2500-3000 lbs about 1100 miles in the end of May, so was planning on a trans cooler and the towing package radiator, but starting to wonder if I already have them. Trying to find an alternative vehicle, but might have to on the RX. Towed a lighter load a few weeks ago and it did fine.

I have a shift kit to install, that will be installed as soon as it warms up.

Quick Reply: Tow Prep Package-do I have it?