RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New 2016 Volvo XC90 vs. New 2015 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 06:14 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

One of my brothers good friends owns a Volvo dealership, so he has driven them (almost exclusively the station wagon models). They were perfect for his use, and he really enjoyed them. Particularly the VR70(?) he had last, which was very nice inside. He often commented that the time and expense in the shop was problematic, but he was pretty picky about that kind of thing.

I'm interested in your comment regarding the "issues" with the "new generation" Lexus. We just bought our 3rd Lexus since late 2010, and we've had nothing but great experiences. They are widely respected for their reliability, and due in part to that, they hold their value exceptionally well. The only consistent complaint I read about (beyond the lack of a sunglasses holder) is about the bland styling and pedestrian handling, both of which are being addressed in the recent models without eliminating the comfort and luxury that make Lexus such a great value. This is the first negative I've ever heard about possible issues other than the occasional one off bad experience, and I follow this pretty closely. I would like to know what you've read.

Last edited by User 41924; 05-18-15 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 04:11 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking at the pictures I posted above, although the XC90 is a good vehicle, its too expensive for what it is (costs over £63k) here fully loaded and I think the RX just makes the XC90 look a decade old.
Old 05-19-15, 07:04 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a '97 Volvo 850 GLT and never had a problem with it. However, that was nearly 20 years ago now, so it is not really relevant anymore.

My son just looked at a Cross Country. The salesperson told him that Volvo has a goal that by 2020 no one will be killed driving a Volvo. That may just be the salesperson talking. They then got in a new Cross Country and the salesperson pointed it at a building and started driving. The vehicle stopped on its own. My son found this both unnerving and impressive. He did not make a purchase yet.

As far as the new RX is concerned, I am on the fence. I do not like the looks of the 2016 front end but I do like the profile view. Guess I will have to see it in person. I have a few more years before getting rid of my 2013. I think most of the vehicle manufactures are getting the message and there are now a lot of attractive and reliable vehicles out there. We just have to find the one that works for each of us.
Old 05-19-15, 11:55 AM
nutella
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat. Should I wait for the Volvo or get the RX350. The Volvo, at least in canada, is substantially more expensive than the Lexus. Also, not sure I would trust the Volvo for reliability. They haven't been ranked very high in the last bunch of years and the XC90 being a completely new, first generation build, I would continue to question it.
Old 05-19-15, 01:37 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Wait a couple of years on the Volvo so you can research the reliability.
Old 05-19-15, 08:41 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Also, in my eyes, it appears that Volvo have run out of ideas and I think the XC90 looks like a wagon on bigger wheels with deeper bumpers.

I just think it looks too dull and rear heavy, sort of like a minivan. If you want a car to blend into the background, its probably a good option as it looks like its a few years old already.

Reminds me of this!

Old 05-20-15, 04:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I had a '97 Volvo 850 GLT and never had a problem with it. However, that was nearly 20 years ago now, so it is not really relevant anymore.

My son just looked at a Cross Country. The salesperson told him that Volvo has a goal that by 2020 no one will be killed driving a Volvo. That may just be the salesperson talking. They then got in a new Cross Country and the salesperson pointed it at a building and started driving. The vehicle stopped on its own. My son found this both unnerving and impressive. He did not make a purchase yet.

As far as the new RX is concerned, I am on the fence. I do not like the looks of the 2016 front end but I do like the profile view. Guess I will have to see it in person. I have a few more years before getting rid of my 2013. I think most of the vehicle manufactures are getting the message and there are now a lot of attractive and reliable vehicles out there. We just have to find the one that works for each of us.
New RX has very impressive auto-braking safety tech, quite likely more impressive than new XC90.
Old 05-20-15, 05:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Looking at the pictures I posted above, although the XC90 is a good vehicle, its too expensive for what it is (costs over £63k) here fully loaded and I think the RX just makes the XC90 look a decade old.
XC90 looks nicer in real life than in pics... especially in the interior. In pics interior looks cold and detached but in real life, best version has a lot of leather everywhere and everything looks rich, opulent and luxurious. Way better than on the pics, and nothing like Ikea!

As to the quality and prices - who knows. Model that I sampled was not full production model and leather was worn, bottom door plastics were of ES quality. I am sure a lot of that will improve.

I have not been in base-mid spec models without all that leather on doors and dash... top of the line twin power hybrid is crazy priced, but base diesel isnt bad as long as you dont play with options much.... option list is almost as bad as the germans. So if you dont go crazy on options, it will be fine when it comes to pricing... but of course, you will not be getting the model that magazines are reviewing.
Old 05-21-15, 06:58 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
XC90 looks nicer in real life than in pics... especially in the interior. In pics interior looks cold and detached but in real life, best version has a lot of leather everywhere and everything looks rich, opulent and luxurious. Way better than on the pics, and nothing like Ikea!

As to the quality and prices - who knows. Model that I sampled was not full production model and leather was worn, bottom door plastics were of ES quality. I am sure a lot of that will improve.

I have not been in base-mid spec models without all that leather on doors and dash... top of the line twin power hybrid is crazy priced, but base diesel isnt bad as long as you dont play with options much.... option list is almost as bad as the germans. So if you dont go crazy on options, it will be fine when it comes to pricing... but of course, you will not be getting the model that magazines are reviewing.
Interior will practically stay the same buddy. They'll only be changing software things - not actual materials used.

Problem is - when Lexus pampers you with all the options (well here in the UK atleast), its hard justifying an extra £10k extra when specifying the Volvo.

The problem with the Volvo is - no V6 engine!! I realise all the crap about environmentally friendly, bla bla bla but a choice should have been given. The 2l 4 pot is nowhere near as good as a good 3l V6

As for the looks, I have seen it in person and I wasnt a fan of the rear - they could easily have made it cooler! In fact - it almost looks like they copied the BMW X5 side profile and changed it slightly to suit themselves.

The current Lexus lineup look great in person, they arent justified in pictures as there are way too many angles to fully appreciate, im sure the RX is no different.
Old 05-21-15, 12:01 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

I was a loooooong time Volvo owner who, in 2013, was driven to buy an RX 350 due to my last Volvo's horrible reliability. Over four thousand dollars in repairs in one 18 month period, none of it "normal wear" kind of stuff. Pumps, motors, leaks, you name it, we had that problem.

I know a guy closely associated with Volvo, and he lamented that Ford seriously under invested
in Volvo for years as they had their own problems to deal with. Now that there's new ownership, who knows how the reliability will be affected.

Our criteria for a new car in 2013 was a really nice car to drive with top notch reliability, and Consumer Reports, among others, convinced me that Lexus was the way to go.

Two years into the experience, and I'm thrilled with the choice we made.
Old 05-23-15, 04:01 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Really digging the XC90 T-6 R-design......its a bigger car than the RX, The RX is feeling crank now with two car seat
Attached Thumbnails New 2016 Volvo XC90 vs. New 2015 Lexus RX-volvo-xc90.jpg  
Old 05-23-15, 06:07 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by grabber2
Really digging the XC90 T-6 R-design......its a bigger car than the RX, The RX is feeling crank now with two car seat
Looks too ghetto lol. Imagine driving around in that - youll get pulled over by the cops everyday.

RX has more room for "actual" people though
Old 05-23-15, 09:25 AM
mvray
Driver School Candidate

I can chime in here with thoughts on each based on our experience.
We went from a 1999 RX to a 2008 XC90 V8 b/c our family grew and the RX was too small.
We really wanted a new RX but needed more room and third row seat. Looked at other models and wife settled on XC90. Based on reliability issues I wasn't wild about her choice.
We did the European delivery program. That was a great experience and brought the price down a little.
I'm very happy that over seven years and 105,000 miles later the XC90 has been very reliable with only maintenance items and no major repairs.
In about a year we'll be looking something new and the RX, XC90 and XC60 will be looked at.
Current trade or sales price is not that great, so we'll probably keep it for kids to drive. It's still a solid ride.
I don't consider the RX and XC90 in the same size class. For me a better comparison is the RX and XC60.
My .02 anyway.
Old 05-23-15, 10:12 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
I ordered one exactly like that except for the air suspension. I heard that the production version won't have a matte finish like that photo but I think it will still look damn good.
Old 02-14-16, 11:31 AM
ucla95
Driver School Candidate

Any current thoughts on this topic?

Quick Reply: New 2016 Volvo XC90 vs. New 2015 Lexus RX