RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Noise from Brakes/Engine Bay when stationary

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 08:14 PM
Peter S
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise from Brakes/Engine Bay when stationary

Hi,
I have a 2015 RX350 which I purchased some 3 months ago for the bride (was delivered new Nov 2015) with 68,000klms on the speedo and yep I am from the land down under, Australia.

When the vehicle is cold it has a pronounced noise which is only audible whilst stationary and lifting ones foot off the brake pedal. The noise is not audible in any other way and one would swear blind its like a worn timing chain sort of noise. Once the vehicle operating temp is up to normal the issue/noise is no longer there. Also when the noise is there (before it gets to normal engine operating temperature) it will only last for about say 10 seconds after lifting ones foot off the pedal then is a quite as a mouse until you push the brake pedal down again and release it.

Has anyone else ever heard or know of such an issue? I considered that it may have a vacuum pump on it hence the noise but its a petrol engine and the vacuum line goes to the inlet manifold so it has me bamboozled as to what could be causing the noise. Note no warnings coming up and car looks and drives beautifully.
Old 06-19-23, 04:37 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

I assume you have checked the brake fluid level in the reservoir to ensure it is correct?
Old 06-19-23, 03:19 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

Has the brake fluid ever been changed? Toyota calls for a brake fluid change every 3 years as brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs water which can cause internal corrosion on the brake components. Some of those are expensive to replace.
You should have your brake fluid changed and bled, then service,& lubricate the brake caliper slide pins as they can stick if neglected for a few years, causing the calipers to freeze up, or get sticky and possibly cause your noise.
They should also check for stored codes in case any of the brake control components have issues.

Old 06-19-23, 06:06 PM
Peter S
10th Gear

Hi,
Yes the brake fluid is clean as in like new. I most likely should have been explicit with the noise. It sounds like a rattling noise under the hood, not from the wheels rotating or noise from the calipers.

Remembering there is no noise until I put my foot on the brake (still no noise) and when I left it off this rattling noise starts and lasts around 10 to 15 seconds and then gone. Also that's stationary, not driving and vehicle in Park or Gear. Once the vehicle is at operating temperature the noise is gone.

Seriously got me baffled.

Peter
Old 06-19-23, 09:08 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Can it be the electric brake pump? Use mechanics stethoscope to narrow down what is causing the noise. You may be able to fell the vibrations ... just be careful of moving parts and hot items.

Salim
Old 06-21-23, 12:59 AM
Peter S
10th Gear

Hi All,
Being a motor mechanic in another life!!!!............

This noise stank of a noisy vacuum pump on say a dirty old 75 series Landcruiser with the 2H engine. Being a diesel you have to have some form of creating a vacuum which in case people don't know a diesel engines doesn't have a vacuum sourced like a petrol being from the inlet manifold as petrol engines have a vacuum in the inlet side of the fuel injectiondelivery system re normally a hose running into the inlet manifold.

Well turns out this is not necessarily the case on the RX350 2016 up. There is a vacuum pump that's is bolted from outside the engine into one of the cam shaft that drives it. Its also is known to have a fault and was replaced under warranty once identified. Back in 2018 and good for 48 months to bring to Lexus's attention. Looks like I will have to pay for such myself being 2023 now. No doubt here in Australia it will cost a weeks wages + a kidney thrown in for good measure.

Anyways here is the address to a U Tube video of the noise and exactly like my brides car disappears when the engine gets up to operating temperature.

Peter