RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tech shutting things at a service

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-14, 08:28 AM
lester123
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tech shutting things at a service

Just had the 5k miles service. Tech shut off radio, shut off a/c, shut off automatic headlights

Why do they do these things? If it makes it easier to inspect your auto, why don't they put them back on?

What else do they shut off?
Old 05-23-14, 10:58 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The absolute worst is shutting the auto headlights off. It takes days before I realize they're off, and I feel stupid when someone flashes me at night. The radio, on the other hand, they sometimes turn mine louder.
Sorry I don't have the answers as to why they do this.
Old 05-23-14, 11:08 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe to put the car through the wash?
Old 05-23-14, 11:17 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

maybe the tech didnt like your radio station, felt cold and was driving during the day

Joking aside, the techs turned off those accessories possibly to identify any unusual engine noises...at least that might explain the radio and a/c being off.

Who knows why they shut off your auto headlights.
Old 05-23-14, 11:22 AM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The radio is a simple one: they simply don't want to be annoyed by the music you are playing. I usually mute mine as a courtesy to them.

As for the headlights, I've never had them switch the setting on me. Perhaps they are just verifying the basic operation of the switch for safety checks.

The A/C setting might just be a matter of habit for the tech to shut the A/C off when turning the vehicle off. I always do this before I turn my car off so that on the next start, the engine doesn't have the extra burden of running the A/C compressor too while starting up.

Don't fret the small things in life.
Old 05-23-14, 12:26 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Call your congressman about it.
I have escalated the issue to our attorney general.
Im expecting a call any time soon.
Old 05-23-14, 12:44 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wipers are sometimes on and auto lights off, I think when they clean the inside and want all the dust off the stalks that these are all on!
Old 05-23-14, 06:19 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default What else do they shut off?

Originally Posted by lester123
Just had the 5k miles service. Tech shut off radio, shut off a/c, shut off automatic headlights
Why do they do these things? If it makes it easier to inspect your auto, why don't they put them back on?
I offer as a suggestion and only a suggestion that you call your Service Advisor and ask what is the policy regarding resetting the controls. Please let us know the answer as to what else they shut off.
Ray A.
Old 05-23-14, 07:09 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Auto headlights are usually shut off during service. I think its because its indoors and they would be running the whole time the car is in. I just have to remember to turn them back on each time.
Old 05-23-14, 07:46 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, they have always shut off my auto headlights. I think its because when they are working on the cars, the headlight shutoff delay is set at 30 seconds AFTER all doors have been closed. When they are around the cars, I would assume they have doors ajar or not probably closed and they don't want to drain your battery
Old 05-23-14, 07:55 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get irritated when they change my seat positions.
Old 05-24-14, 08:12 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
Call your congressman about it.
I have escalated the issue to our attorney general.
Im expecting a call any time soon.
Hahaha I already got a call back. They don't know either.
Old 05-25-14, 04:31 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^Funny. I turn off the headlights and stereo before I pull in for service. Even thought the headlights are programmed to shut off when I open the door, I don't want them turning on and off while the RXh is being worked on. As far as the stereo, well that's a courtesy. No need to blast the poor tech with my music, LOL! Changing what's playing would be more concerning. Sometimes the climate system is turned off. Again, it's a matter of not subjecting someone else to heat or cold air coming out of the vents. The seat position does get changed but I have it programmed too. All it takes is a push of a button to return it back to my preferred setting.
Old 05-25-14, 05:45 AM
KaShiDC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad taught me to turn off everything- A/C, wipers, radio, etc. before turning off the car. I am guessing this is an old car thing and not necessary in new models although I would never leave the stereo playing when someone is going to work on the car, I want them to hear anything unusual. The auto headlights I am guessing might be to avoid burning the lights while they are working on the car. Moving the seats, THAT is annoying.
Old 05-25-14, 09:34 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lester123

Rather than asking a bunch of folks here who apparently don't know the actual answer you are looking for, perhaps you should call or visit your dealer and ask your questions until you get an answer you can live with.

That answer could be as simple as: "Lexus procedures/processes mandate/require us to shut off all electric/electronic devices before beginning ANY service." You'll never know if you don't ask at the right place.

As far as the seat adjustments go, I would rather a short technician adjust the seat to suit him or her instead of trying to cope with my adjustments and create a safety issue--like not being able to reach the pedals--but that's just me, and I can restore my settings by just pushing the "1" button on the door.

Quick Reply: Tech shutting things at a service