RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Buy new ?? or used Lexus RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 08:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Bill, those 5 things you listed fit the RX perfectly. I'd reconsider finding one with nav so you have the ability to control other features. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-19-14, 02:14 PM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Anita, What do you mean...." I'd reconsider finding one with nav so you have the ability to control other features".

I like my TomTom, free upgrades. A 3 year old car will have 3 year old Nav. What other features does the Nav. control?

Bill
Old 05-19-14, 04:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by bsekf
Anita, What do you mean...." I'd reconsider finding one with nav so you have the ability to control other features".

I like my TomTom, free upgrades. A 3 year old car will have 3 year old Nav. What other features does the Nav. control?

Bill
Nav gives you the ability to make changes to settings (seats, lights, etc.), the stereo and climate control system, to name a few. Plus it's the back up camera screen. Take a look at this thread for some opinions on nav versus portable GPS units. Assuming the '11 RX is at a Lexus dealer, you can ask for the latest update. The information is not going to be as accurate as your TomTom. But I never updated the nav in my 330 in the six years I drove it. No, I didn't get lost or wind up on railroad tracks, LOL! Lexus provides a list of changes before each update so you can decide whether it's worth it. Points of interest (gas stations, ATMs, restaurants, etc.) are also updated. Alternately you have the option to connect with Lexus Enform (accessible through nav) for a Lexus operator to download an address, override a destination, add a destination, all while you're driving the RX. Yet another option, enter an address via computer and have it downloaded to your RX. There's an annual fee for that along with Safety Connect (aka the SOS button). BTW, Safety Connect is available alone but Lexus Enform is not. You have to subscribe to both. I used Lexus points to offset most of the update cost when I finally broke down and did it on the 450h. Dealers have specials from time to time too. It's something only they can install.

I'd recommend driving an RX with nav to decide whether it's worth it.
Old 05-19-14, 04:50 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Nav gives you the ability to make changes to settings (seats, lights, etc.), the stereo and climate control system, to name a few. Plus it's the back up camera screen. Take a look at this thread for some opinions on nav versus portable GPS units. Assuming the '11 RX is at a Lexus dealer, you can ask for the latest update. The information is not going to be as accurate as your TomTom. But I never updated the nav in my 330 in the six years I drove it. No, I didn't get lost or wind up on railroad tracks, LOL! Lexus provides a list of changes before each update so you can decide whether it's worth it. Points of interest (gas stations, ATMs, restaurants, etc.) are also updated. Alternately you have the option to connect with Lexus Enform (accessible through nav) for a Lexus operator to download an address, override a destination, add a destination, all while you're driving the RX. Yet another option, enter an address via computer and have it downloaded to your RX. There's an annual fee for that along with Safety Connect (aka the SOS button). BTW, Safety Connect is available alone but Lexus Enform is not. You have to subscribe to both. I used Lexus points to offset most of the update cost when I finally broke down and did it on the 450h. Dealers have specials from time to time too. It's something only they can install.

I'd recommend driving an RX with nav to decide whether it's worth it.
Bill, I think it's worth the money for the Nav. Just for the back up camera. I'd check out a RX with Nav just to see all the things you get with the Nav package. My 2010 didn't have Nav but my 15 will.

Anita, sorry to change the subject, but I've had no luck with e destination sending directions to the GX from iphone or Mac. Says it's sending to the car but the car says no saved destinations. Just wonder what I'm doing wrong.
Old 05-19-14, 04:54 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy14
Anita, sorry to change the subject, but I've had no luck with e destination sending directions to the GX from iphone or Mac. Says it's sending to the car but the car says no saved destinations. Just wonder what I'm doing wrong.
Destination, then Point of interest, then e destination.
There will be a prompt asking you if you want to download.
You will have to download from the car which takes less than 10 seconds.
Old 05-19-14, 05:38 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

^Exactly. I use a Mac and have no problems sending addresses to the RX.
Old 05-19-14, 07:19 PM
bsekf
Driver

I've been told by the dealer that this 2011 has Back Up Camera and Power Lift Gate but no Nav. Will have to look closely tomorrow when we see it.

Bill
Old 05-19-14, 08:19 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
Destination, then Point of interest, then e destination.
There will be a prompt asking you if you want to download.
You will have to download from the car which takes less than 10 seconds.
Thanks. I'll give it another try tomorrow. We're planning a trip and insure would love to use this feature.
Old 05-20-14, 02:10 PM
bsekf
Driver

We pulled the trigger on a 2011 RX 350 with 8K miles. Couldn't get the Murano dealer to give me an "out the door" the Lexus dealer did and we bought. I see what you were talking about with the Nav. , back up camera is on the screen, not the rear view mirror. This one does not have Nav. but only 8000 miles. Certified so we get 36/100K Bumper to Bumper. I'll live with the mirror back up cam and my TomTom. We are happy, white on black leather. THANK YOU ALL

Bill
Old 05-20-14, 02:17 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Congrats Bill. Sounds like the '11 was too good to pass up. Spend some time looking at the manuals to familiarize yourself with it. Might seem daunting but guarantee it's time well spent. Plus you'll need it for your upcoming test Oh and post some pics of your 350 here.
Old 05-20-14, 02:19 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

We pulled the trigger on a 2011 RX 350 with 8K miles. Couldn't get the Murano dealer to give me an "out the door" the Lexus dealer did and we bought. I see what you were talking about with the Nav. , back up camera is on the screen, not the rear view mirror. This one does not have Nav. but only 8000 miles. Certified so we get 36/100K Bumper to Bumper. I'll live with the mirror back up cam and my TomTom. We are happy, white on black leather. THANK YOU ALL

Bill
Now, you have to post pictures. It is the law!!
Old 05-20-14, 02:43 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Bill
8,000 miles is the same as brand new, in my book. Congratulations. I wish you miles of smiles and proud admiration for your new baby.
Ray A.
Old 05-20-14, 03:44 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Bill
Nice job of doing your comparison homework with the other 4 brands. The RX has proven itself year after year, and finding one with just 8000 miles was a great find. And with warranty. Pretty sure you will be very happy to now say you drive a Lexus (RX). Congratulations.
Old 05-20-14, 03:46 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats Bill ! You won't be disappointed with a virtually new RX. Enjoy it.
Ours was the first daily driver car we bought used since I was.........................21, 30 years ago. Starting to date myself.
I haven't any regrets.
Old 05-21-14, 12:23 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't understand why Lexus were so stingy not to make Nav standard equipment. Imagine if you could say to the over-the-fence-looker neighbour: "Of course it has Nav, can't you see it's a Lexus". Anyway Bill, the RX you bought is an amazing vehicle and I'm sure that as we speak, the guys are walking up to that great wall with all the names of iconic cars, to pin the RX there as well.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-21-14 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Buy new ?? or used Lexus RX 350