RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Did you mount your front Licence Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-14, 12:56 PM
Dreamlab
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you mount your front Licence Plate?

Just got a 2014 RX350 and the dealer gives me the front mount for it, but the front end sure looks nice without it.

So how many go ahead and mount it?

(PS: I'm in Calif - where we are supposed to...)
Old 05-09-14, 01:38 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I got our RX in Philly, where they do not need a front plate. They put the adapter in the trunk.
I was not planning on putting the front plate on the RX, but soon thereafter, I got pulled over in my IS300 for not having one. A rookie cop had nothing better to do. So, after more than a decade of driving without the front plate on multiple cars, I decided it wasn't worth it, and mounted one on both the RX and IS.
Old 05-09-14, 01:58 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, cops around here will give you a ticket if you don't.
Doesn't bother us, I mounted my plate on my Turbo Supra at the time too.
Old 05-09-14, 02:17 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It's required here in NJ, and not having one is just another reason to get pulled over.
Old 05-09-14, 02:26 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm in SoCal and my front plate is still hiding in the trunk.

I'm talked to several other local luxury car owners and some haven't put their front plates on for years. Those who have been ticketed, taped their licenses to their front bumpers, got it visually checked at the station, paid the $35 fine, then drove home....and removed it again.
Old 05-09-14, 02:41 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamlab
Not only are you supposed to have the front plate on your RX the dealer was supposed to install the bracket unless you expressly requested that he not and signed a waiver:

Originally Posted by CA_DMV
V C Section 11713.17 Front License Plate Bracket

Front License Plate Bracket

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.
I am in northern California and our dealer installed the plate bracket prior to delivering the RX, if not to follow the law, then at least to have the maximum advertising exposure before our new registration arrived.
Old 05-09-14, 06:37 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just got a 2014 RX350 and the dealer gives me the front mount for it, but the front end sure looks nice without it.

there was a bracket with dealer's name on it when we took delivery.
So, yeah, i mounted it.

Our state needs money, so when you get pulled over they will ADD these "tickets"
1. tints on the driver and passenger side ( if you plan on doing this)
2. absence of plates on the front.

and the "fix it" ticket is a pain in the neck. forget the fine, you can afford it.

In other city, like Santa Monica, even the meter maids can issue you a ticket for "not displaying the front license"

At the end of the day, it's your time and money
Old 05-10-14, 08:54 AM
felix168
Rookie

Well, since you're from CA, you're supposed to. And yes, we mounted ours on all our cars. Since we don't own any exotic cars, the front plates wouldn't bother us one bit. I will admit front plates do make cars like Ferrari, Lotus, Lamborghini quite awkward looking.

Last edited by felix168; 05-10-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-10-14, 09:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Like hypervish said, front license plates are required here too. The dealer installed the bracket before taking delivery. I added
Prestige license plate cover and frame Prestige license plate cover and frame
for a little style. Then I changed out the bracket and cover with the color matching JDM frames for a cleaner look. I got them from from CL sponsor Nigel JDM. The only thing is the front frame will probably require drilling to secure the license plate. Expensive, yes but so is a ticket.
Attached Thumbnails Did you mount your front Licence Plate?-img_0283.jpg  

Last edited by kitlz; 05-10-14 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-10-14, 10:11 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by felix168
Well, since you're from CA, you're supposed to. And yes, we mounted ours on all our cars. Since we don't own any exotic cars, the front plates wouldn't bother us one bit. I will admit front plates do make cars like Ferrari, Lotus, Lamborghini quite awkward looking.
Funny thing is, a BMW 328i or any BMW car/SAV is NOT An exotic car, but i see a lot of them with NO front plates.
I Guess owning/leasing a BMW Makes you BETTER than the rest of us.
Old 05-10-14, 11:29 AM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by markrivers
Funny thing is, a BMW 328i or any BMW car/SAV is NOT An exotic car, but i see a lot of them with NO front plates.
I Guess owning/leasing a BMW Makes you BETTER than the rest of us.
Don't know where that BMW sentiment came from, but whatever.
And yeah... a lot of people go jump off the bridge too, doesn't meant I will have to follow.
Old 05-10-14, 11:54 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been living in CA since 1970 and have not mounted a front plate yet ... never had any problems. But, the last time I was pulled over for a traffic violation was 1986. I suspect in my area you will not get a ticket unless you are pulled over for something else.

Last edited by UCSB; 05-10-14 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-10-14, 03:26 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm rolling the dice here in IL and not running the required front plate on any of our three Lexus vehicles. It's probably just a matter of time before my wife or I get pulled over. A buddy of mine has ran without a front plate on his Miata for 10 years without a problem but recently bought a red Corvette Z06 and had it two days before getting harassed by a local doughnut eater. It's all about drawing attention to yourself and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 05-10-14, 03:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

There used to be rule in CA, not sure if it is still the case, that you had six months to get license plates for a new car. So, legally you could drive around a new car with no plates. This is what Steve Jobs did. He got a new leased vehicle every six months and therefore never had to put plates on his Mercedes.
Old 05-11-14, 12:14 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, there's a a little "hiccup" with these statements:

1.I've been living in ( your state here ) since X amount of time and have not mounted a front plate yet
never had any problems.
2. " I suspect in my area you will not get a ticket unless you are pulled over for something else."

You can actually substitute it with any violation.
Like an expired license, No insurance, tinted front windows, Not wearing seat belts, holding your cellphone while driving, texting etc.
It's all fine and dandy until you get caught!

The driver of this SUV, never got a ticket for years!
until the time he got pulled over for something else! LOL!

Yeah, that's an M2 machine gun mounted at the back of his SUV.

Quick Reply: Did you mount your front Licence Plate?