ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   Is now a good time to buy? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/737985-is-now-a-good-time-to-buy.html)

m1964 04-12-14 03:59 PM

Is now a good time to buy?

I am thinking of replacing my DF's Q5 with F-sport RX. We have not test-driven one yet, but pretty much excluded everything else (X3, RDX), and GLK350 was a little too low getting in - we both have low back pain, and I find my RX very comfortable both getting in/out and driving over the potholes left from winter. Plus, MB gets expensive loaded, and does not even come with heated outside mirrors. It does have sunglasses holder though...

We keep our vehicles 4 or more years, and I would keep my RX probably for 7-8 years. We usually buy (finance+trade-in) new vehicles.

The Q: should we try to get '14 (limited supply, about 5 in white in our area according to Lexus website), or wait until later in the year, possibly to December. Our Q5 runs fine, and its got extended power train warranty til Oct. 2014. Basic 4 y. warranty has ended.

P.S.
The Q5 would need new tires before next winter if I was going to keep it.

Thanx

dwlink 04-13-14 08:25 AM

I don't know what a DF is, but if you're going to drive this new car regularly, I'd stay away from another RX seeing as you already have a 2012. You'd basically, be buying a car that's 95% the same of what you already have. Hold on to the Q5 another year and a half or so and the next gen RX should probably become available about that time.

CanadianRX 04-13-14 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by dwlink (Post 8482814)
I don't know what a DF is, but if you're going to drive this new car regularly, I'd stay away from another RX seeing as you already have a 2012. You'd basically, be buying a car that's 95% the same of what you already have. Hold on to the Q5 another year and a half or so and the next gen RX should probably become available about that time.

Probably Spring 2015 new RX wait for it!

corradoMR2 04-13-14 01:34 PM

I would tend to agree with both comments above. However, the RX will highly likely grow a little in size to differentiate itself from the NX if that is a factor for you. Speaking of which, the NX is very closely sized to the Q5 and X3, and it will be available in Q4 2014 but seat height is lower than the RX but we don't know yet exact specs.

If you don't care for the NX or the next gen RX and just want the current RX, then go for a 14 and get yourself a great deal now since the 15s are out. You also save 1k or more on replacing tires on your Q5. Your Q5 trade in will also be slightly more due to the extended warranty still remaining and of course lower mileage. The F-Sport is more fun to drive than the regular RX with nearly flat cornering, but a firmer suspension. If you have 19inch wheels and tires on your current RX, bump the psi by 10-12 to get an idea of straight line comfort over bumps. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.:thumbup: