RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Interesting column in May, 2014 Car & Driver (RX)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 05:03 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Interesting column in May, 2014 Car & Driver (RX)

Car & Driver Columnist Aaron Robinson wrote an article comparing German and Japanese luxury cars and how they are doing after 25 years since the Japanese upscale brands were introduced. Aaron says:

"Each of Japan's luxury makes has its problems. Big L's trouble is that its sales are heavily concentrated on only two key moneymakers, the ES sedan and RX crossover. The two have been the left and right legs of Lexus for years, and they contributed 64 percent of its 2013 volume. Though dependable showroom performers, the ES and RX are conservative products tied to one generally older buyer demographic. And they only come in one flavor. Lexus churns out the same basic ES and RX for the same aging baby-boom buyer year after year."

The column goes on to discuss the challenges facing all of the Japanese luxury brands and how they compare to the German luxury brands. Lexus is doing better than the other Japanese brands, but he concludes that the Germans are doing better overall.

But NOW I understand why we like both the ES and RX (just sold the ES though). We fit the demographic perfectly. Also helps me understand why some younger RX owners (dat dude comes to mind) find the RX boring. Really funny!!!
Old 04-04-14, 05:17 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Im fairly young and like the RX. To say that the ES and RX only come in one flavor is a bit misleading. Now we have the the ES, ES hybrid, RX, RX hybrid, RX F sport. With the NX coming in this year, I think it will really pick up Lexus sales.

I will agree that Lexus has recently lost their edge, and you can easily see it through the sales numbers. MB and BMW have really stepped up there game. In the past, reliability and maintenance cost was the only detraction from the Germans. Now that those fears have been put to rest (mostly), few people consider Lexus the smarter decision anymore.
Old 04-04-14, 06:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Germans are doing better overall because they are pumping out every possible iteration of a platform and calling it a new model. X1, X3, X4, 4, 3 GT, all based on the 3-series which comes to mind.

2013 has been a turning point for Lexus especially in its second half regarding sales increases and lowering the average age. C&D should be mentioning where Lexus is trending and not where it was.

As with RXSF, I'm youngish too (later 30s) and have owned 3 RXs as it suits my needs, especially the latest F-Sport. NX is NeXt on my list

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-04-14 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-04-14, 06:24 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

while i do agree you tend to see more "older" folks driving them..im 24 and ive just bought a '14 rx for my pregnant wife and we couldnt be more happier. now the funny thing is while test driving a gold exterior tan interior i felt very odd/ womanly/ senior citizenly...but as soon as i found a nebula grey with white/black interior and the 19's..WHOLE different ballgame..
Old 04-05-14, 08:03 AM
Hawkeye70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not read the CD article but I wonder if the article deals with quality and reliability? Whether it does or it doesnot, the is no contest between the Lexus and European models re: these two very important aspects of owning an automobile. I have one of each and attest to my earlier comment.
Old 04-05-14, 08:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye70
I have not read the CD article but I wonder if the article deals with quality and reliability? Whether it does or it doesnot, the is no contest between the Lexus and European models re: these two very important aspects of owning an automobile. I have one of each and attest to my earlier comment.
True when buying but the majority of new luxury vehicle deals are leases and covered under basic warranty.
Old 04-05-14, 10:09 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye70
I have not read the CD article but I wonder if the article deals with quality and reliability? Whether it does or it does not, there is no contest between the Lexus and European models re: these two very important aspects of owning an automobile. I have one of each and attest to my earlier comment.
No, Aaron's column primarily deals with his opinion of how the Japanese luxury car brands are doing in an overall business sense, compared to the German luxury brands.

No doubt in my mind that the Japanese still hold an edge in quality & reliability compared to the Germans, but Aaron is focusing more on the Japanese brand's business models, and what's working vs. what's not.

Let's not forget that this column is one man's opinion, although from my reading of it, I think Aaron may be correct in most of his observations--but not all. Only time will tell.
Old 04-05-14, 12:07 PM
Nanook
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I can tell you this..

I just purchase a new Mercedes 2013 ML63 for me and a new 2014 RX350 for my wife so I have the hard goods..albeit the Merc is twice the price of the Lexus optioned as they are here is my take..
- the Lexus is old in the tooth and needs a makeover..not that it doesn't work in it's current state it just has some catching up to do...in design (appearance) ..ergonomics ...etc
-the merc is leaps ahead when considering quality of materials..interior plastic components are much more robust..thicker..resilient...just look at the sunglass compartment door in the L..flimsy and even the latching function has a cheap flimsy feel.. this engineering mentality carries on through the vehicle
-why the L doesn't have leather door panels or a leather dash ? like the M..yes more cost but how about letting the consumer decide..make it an option at the least
- now come on Lexus..get rid of that mechanical shifter...the Merc has a nice electronic shifter that just works..automatically engages park when you turn vehicle off..

Although I could go on the Merc is much more of a vehicle and on par rings in about 10-15 k $ more for a comparable model size but then brings more cosmetically and ergonimcally

And finally the caveat..the RX was the vehicle of choice for my wife..that said if it was my call I'd have two Mercs or possible an Audi instead of the RX...time will tell if the new Lexus Rx entry coming in '15/16 will have Toyota step up their game but as it stands they have some catch up to get to the German's level.
Old 04-05-14, 12:48 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was always this scepticism whether the Japanese (or anyone else) would be able to match the Germans, let alone beat them at their own game. Well, one thing is for sure, they've taught the Germans to get their act together in the reliability stakes. A lot of leather is after all not the epitome of excellence (will help you nothing if you're stranded by the roadside - leather and sunglass holders don't make a vehicle move forward) , there's a lot of other criteria to which a car should be measured.
It is accepted now that the Germans were light years ahead of their adversaries regarding technology in the Second world War (just hit sites under German Secret Weapons). To such an extent that some "historians" believe they had some contact with aliens ... lol. Does look if some believe it's in the motoring world also the case. Japanese culture is all about perfectionism, just park the Lexus next to any German make and you can see who spent the most time on the paint job. You can say a paint job doesn't make the wheels turn as well, but Toyota/Lexus does the most testing to destruction on components, compared to other motoring companies.

Last edited by nipponbird; 04-05-14 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-05-14, 01:00 PM
Nanook
Rookie

Originally Posted by nipponbird
There was always this scepticism whether the Japanese (or anyone else) would be able to match the Germans, let alone beat them at their own game. Well, one thing is for sure, they've taught the Germans to get their act together in the reliability stakes. A lot of leather is after all not the epitome of excellence, there's a lot of other criteria to which a car should be measured.
It is accepted now that the Germans were light years ahead of their adversaries regarding technology in the Second world War (just hit sites under German Secret Weapons). To such an extent that some "historians" believe they had some contact with aliens ... lol. Does look if some believe it's in the motoring world also the case. Japanese culture is all about perfectionism, just park the Lexus next to any German make and you can see who spent the most time on the paint job.
By no means discount the quality of the Merc paint...the fit and finish are outstanding..inside and out..the incidental engineering i.e. component fitment, wiring and noise management exhibit extraordinary thought process...as I just installed a laser jamming system I had good opportunity to dismantle many components (also providing exposure to how "things" were routed through the firewall) and thought...man..that was a good idea how they did that !!
I have waxed the Merc 3 or 4 times now but not the Lexus yet so I know of any imperfections (dust/orange peel) and they don't exist as I could see..
I can say the body panels fit with a smaller tolerance on the Lexus but not by much.

Like I say..I have both in my garage and the Lexus has some catching up to do..
Old 04-06-14, 12:23 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea that you gave the Lexus to your wife. Won't be in her best interest to sit and wait for Roadside Assistance. Give a couple of months and she wouldn't swop you for the ML.
I've had to visit the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart twice last year. You have to tip your hat for the Germans, if you see what they run there now in comparison with the completely flattened factory left to them in 1945 by the RAF and USAAF (that's what they call carpet bombing). That aside, the wake-up call they had from Lexus, Infiniti and Acura, is about the best thing that happened to them in decades. If it wasn't for this they would still have cranked out the temperamental Mercs we knew until quite recently (remember the first generation ML's?)
Lucky for Europe that the Germans did heed the red light that the Japanese lit for all the European car manufacturers (the UK included, although they've always believed they're not part of Europe). It took the Japanese to teach the British that you can make an engine that doesn't leak oil (to name one example), but unfortunately for them they didn't pay attention in class and most had to close up shop.
That said, MB has always been a leader in the innovative stakes. Just look at what they had on the drawing board (of course you shouldn't mention these examples when at their factory now) when their adversaries still tried to figure out which side of a screwdriver is the front:
http://www.luft46.com
(after opening click on Daimler Benz amongst manufacturers)

Last edited by nipponbird; 04-06-14 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-06-14, 10:10 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

IMO, Mercedes paint is harder and doesn't chip as easily when road debris comes in, but it also has tons of orange peel. All their cars are plagued by it. The Lexus paint definitely is softer but when you take the time to wax it, it has a much more deep color.

I too own both brands of car and I will say that Merc quality has really stepped up in recent years. Everything seems like it will last for many years and look the same while doing in. Nothing squeaks, rattles, and everything is tight as a button. Except for fit and finish where interior panels doesn't always align. This is already a problem on the new S class, owners are pointing out. Attention to detail (except for fit and finish) is also where the Merc may come up ahead. Fabric wrapped bottom doors to prevent scratching, automatic door unlocking in an event of a car accident, windshield wipers that return of the off position even you turn off the key. These are things that Lexus needs to work on.

Lexus materials are much more delicate. Scratch something on the bottom door plastic, and its there for good. The Mercedes will always cost more than the Lexus counterpart so that is a big reason as well. Lexus service is where they come out on top, as well as reliability. While the germans have caught up quickly, Lexus is still top in this area. I still think the RX looks good and has aged very well, especially with the refreshed grill and headlights. There is a reason why the RX is the top selling SUV too.
Old 04-06-14, 10:42 AM
Nanook
Rookie

Yes they are both two fine automobiles. The let down for me with Lexus is it doesn't have anything to compete with the ML63..no uber highway cruiser that will blow off most north american sports cars from a stop light too..and add a Renntech tune as I did and you have a potent 635 hp twin turbo smooth powerful docile well mannered comfortable quiet road warrior....if they did I'd certainly consider it..

And for that "ultimate need for speed"
Old 04-06-14, 10:55 AM
Nanook
Rookie

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Good idea that you gave the Lexus to your wife. Won't be in her best interest to sit and wait for Roadside Assistance. Give a couple of months and she wouldn't swop you for the ML.
I've had to visit the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart twice last year. You have to tip your hat for the Germans, if you see what they run there now in comparison with the completely flattened factory left to them in 1945 by the RAF and USAAF (that's what they call carpet bombing). That aside, the wake-up call they had from Lexus, Infiniti and Acura, is about the best thing that happened to them in decades. If it wasn't for this they would still have cranked out the temperamental Mercs we knew until quite recently (remember the first generation ML's?)
Lucky for Europe that the Germans did heed the red light that the Japanese lit for all the European car manufacturers (the UK included, although they've always believed they're not part of Europe). It took the Japanese to teach the British that you can make an engine that doesn't leak oil (to name one example), but unfortunately for them they didn't pay attention in class and most had to close up shop.
That said, MB has always been a leader in the innovative stakes. Just look at what they had on the drawing board (of course you shouldn't mention these examples when at their factory now) when their adversaries still tried to figure out which side of a screwdriver is the front:
http://www.luft46.com
(after opening click on Daimler Benz amongst manufacturers)
Good points..btw I didn't GIVE the Lexus to my wife I bought it for (with) her...it was her choice too
Old 04-06-14, 11:11 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nanoook
Yes they are both two fine automobiles. The let down for me with Lexus is it doesn't have anything to compete with the ML63..no uber highway cruiser that will blow off most north american sports cars from a stop light too..and add a Renntech tune as I did and you have a potent 635 hp twin turbo smooth powerful docile well mannered comfortable quiet road warrior....if they did I'd certainly consider it..
While those vehicles can be very profitable for the manufacturer, they do not sell in large quantities. Give Toyota/Lexus some credit to have done the research and math to have determined if they could have sold such a vehicle as you describe or even if such a vehicle fit in the corporate identity.

With the LFA sold out, it seems at the moment that Toyota/Lexus is more interested in pressing the technology front with hybrids than it is with ultra-premium vehicles. Hybrid technology is one place where MB, BMW and Audi have little to no presence.

Quick Reply: Interesting column in May, 2014 Car & Driver (RX)