ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   2013 RX350 voluntary recall-any news? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/735796-2013-rx350-voluntary-recall-any-news.html)

rogerh00 03-28-14 06:46 AM

2013 RX350 voluntary recall-any news?

I was wondering if anyone had received a letter about this recall which is more than a month ago since the announcement? I have not.

TORRANCE, Calif., February 11, 2014 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it is advising the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of plans to conduct voluntary safety recalls of approximately 711,000 Model Year 2010-2014 Prius vehicles and, combined, approximately 260,000 Model Year 2012 Toyota RAV4, 2012-2013 Toyota Tacoma, and 2012-2013 Lexus RX350 vehicles sold in the United States to address two separate issues.

Toyota will update the motor/generator control ECU and hybrid control ECU software on certain Model Year 2010-2014 Prius vehicles

The software’s current settings could result in higher thermal stress in certain transistors, potentially causing them to become damaged. If this happens, various warning lights will illuminate and the vehicle can enter a failsafe mode. In rare circumstances, the hybrid system might shut down while the vehicle is being driven, resulting in the loss of power and the vehicle coming to a stop.
Toyota will update the skid control ECU software on certain 2012 Toyota RAV4, 2012-2013 Toyota Tacoma, and 2012-2013 Lexus RX350 models in order to address an electronic circuit condition that can cause the Vehicle Stability Control, Anti-lock Brake, and Traction Control functions to intermittently turn off. If these systems are off, standard braking operation remains fully functional.

Toyota has received no reports of accidents or injuries associated with either condition.

As part of these recalls, owners of affected vehicles will receive a software update free of charge. Owners will be notified by first class mail when the software updates are available at their dealers.

Detailed information is available to customers at www.toyota.com/recall and by calling the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.

Lexus customers can visit www.toyota.com/recall or call the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Center at 1-800-25-LEXUS (1-800-255-3987)

rogerh00 03-29-14 09:35 AM

Wow, 138 views but not one comment.

I decided to call the 800# and was told that I should have received a letter because my VIN is on the recall list. CR said to just take it to my nearest dealer and they will perform the update.

I would suggest anyone with a '12-'13 RX350 to call your dealer. The software bug doesn't sound good to me.

RX330inFL 03-29-14 10:15 AM

Not all vehicles in a given model year need be affected by a recall. May only be a given range of production dates within a given model year or only those with a given feature which are affected.

Are you registered with Lexus online?

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...on/register.do

Once you have your VIN registered with Lexus you are able to see your maintenance history performed at Lexus along with being able to see any recall announcements for your vehicle. Yes, if you were affected you should have received something in the mail. However, the information would appear here as well.

rogerh00 03-29-14 11:39 AM

Thanks for the link. Come to find out I was already registered with the site but with my old Lexus and forget to update the info to my current RX.

The site has the recall info on it but not for any specific VIN's. The more detailed info on the recall leads me to believe I already had the work done. The recall is about the brake actuator. Here is the info,

Safety Recall ELA - Remedy Notice - Certain 2012 and 2013 Model Year RX350 Vehicles - Brake Actuator Reprograming

This is an important Safety Recall. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer to replace the Intelligent Power Module as soon as possible.

What is the condition? The integrated system providing enhanced vehicle control, including features like Anti-Lock Braking (ABS), Traction Control (TRAC), and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), can intermittently become inoperative and illuminate one or more warning lamp(s) due to an electrical circuit condition (Diagnostic Trouble Code C1428 will also be stored in the vehicle's self-diagnostic system). If the ABS, TRAC, and VSC functions become inoperative, this can increase the risk of a crash.

If these driver support systems are disabled, standard braking operation is fully functional.

I only had my new RX for 2 weeks when driving on the Interstate my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. A large flashing warning message that said BRAKE MALFUNTION!!!! appeared along with other yellow warning lights. I pulled over and called the dealer and they said it was OK to drive and to bring it in. They had my RX for 4 days sorting out the problem. This was exactly a year ago. They said I was only the second RX in the country to experience the problem. So in a year there must have been enough incidents to warrant a recall.

Everyone with 2012-'13 RX350 should contact their dealer to see if their VIN is on the list.

RX330inFL 03-29-14 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by rogerh00 (Post 8456915)
The site has the recall info on it but not for any specific VIN's. The more detailed info on the recall leads me to believe I already had the work done. The recall is about the brake actuator.

Very possible. I had my RX in for some general maintenance and had work performed on the floor mats regarding the retaining clips. Later, I would get mailings from Lexus telling me I needed to bring it in for a recall on the same thing. I ignored them for awhile thinking I already had this work done but kept getting the mailings. So, I went online and the recall showed in my account there as well. When I talked to Lexus Customer Service they stated that I had my work done prior to the official recall and while it used the same parts I should bring my RX back in for the same exact work -- just in case. :uh:

Did you go to the general list of recall information for all vehicles or did you mouse over the My Lexus tab and then slide over to Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns? If you go there online and you have something listed then you are affected by the recall. If not, your vehicle has either had the work performed or was not affected by a given recall or service campaign event.

rogerh00 03-29-14 12:55 PM

I hit the mylexus button and slid over to the recalls and it did list the recall for the brake actuator. So you think I'm affected by the recall?

I suppose the work they did could be incomplete from a year ago and/or the software needs updating. Anyway I'm going to call the dealer on Monday to find out. I guess the letter is still in the mail.

RX330inFL 03-29-14 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by rogerh00 (Post 8457028)
I hit the mylexus button and slid over to the recalls and it did list the recall for the brake actuator. So you think I'm affected by the recall?

I suppose the work they did could be incomplete from a year ago and/or the software needs updating. Anyway I'm going to call the dealer on Monday to find out. I guess the letter is still in the mail.

Yes, if you saw it there then you are still affected by the recall. The dealer will see this in their system, and regardless of any work performed previous will more than likely do this work as described. Perhaps an inconvenience to yourself, however, you will get this cleared up, a loaner vehicle and a fresh car wash and perhaps some gas in the tank if you dealer is so inclined. Some dealers will top off the tank during a recall service while others will not. So, do not fill up before taking it in just in case. Do not depend on it though. Would just be a nice gesture if it happens.

rogerh00 03-30-14 06:50 AM

Thanks for your help. I can't believe there isn't anyone else on this board concerned with this recall. It is a major safety issue when your brakes are involved.

RC1818 03-30-14 07:19 AM

Haven't been on CL lately but received a call from Lexus regarding a recall issue on Friday.... Low behold came across this post... Will be scheduling a visit hopefully sometime this week.... Good luck everyone!!

corradoMR2 03-30-14 09:34 AM

I'm glad this thread popped up because I did read it and meant to reply but got caught up in other threads and forgot.

For Canadian RX owners, check here by simply entering your VIN: https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/secure/owners/campaigns

My 350 F-Sport is unaffected, build date October, 2012, Canadian-built.

mcfancy 03-30-14 09:50 AM

They sent me an email and I'm taking it in next week. Not much more than that but they said it would take an hour which seems long for a software update

corradoMR2 03-30-14 09:58 AM

^^^ The hour usually has buffer built in to the time to account for unplanned issues, walk-ins, etc. It will also include a test drive and possibly a car wash for the inconvenience.

thangkuoi 03-30-14 02:39 PM

just check the website www.toyota.com/recall
lucky my car wasn't on recall

rogerh00 03-30-14 06:01 PM

My 350 F-Sport is unaffected, build date October, 2012, Canadian-built.
Mine was built 7/2012 in Canada.

rogerh00 04-01-14 09:58 AM

Ok, I received the letter from Lexus. It has my VIN listed. They say you can go to any authorized Lexus dealer to update the skid control ECU at no charge. They say to allow for 1 hour and may take longer depending on the dealers workload.