RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Old 07-16-14, 07:09 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would leave the car in the middle of their lot/showroom in the most inconvenient place possible and take the keys. That would cause them a hassle for sure. And set off the alarm while you drive away in a friends car. That would cause them to lose sales/money. Or maybe offer to ride with a technician driving and pointing out the "bumps" as you ride along in the passenger seat.
Old 07-17-14, 02:54 PM
SexyLexiRx
Driver School Candidate

Default Get them to take it back!

Dealerships hate problems with vehicles, but they love to sell them. If you can do it, go for a new Rx, but make it contingent on them taking your old Rx back, giving you a full credit refund. If there is nothing wrong with the Rx, they should be willing to do this, right? Or go to another dealership, or an independent shop, or talk to their master mechanic, but don't give up, keep squeeking. You have options, but keeping and/or fixing your original Rx, may not be the best one.

As far as your question about whether or not they can solve the problem without taking your Rx apart... Problems like this can be difficult to solve because they are based on tolerances for the parts that make-up your car. I ran into something like this replacing tie rods on my old truck. I replaced 4 tie rods, but noticed before installation that one of them was stiffer at the joint. I figured, it should loosen-up over time, but a month later the steering was still "uneven" turning left vs right, and stiff at times. So I bought a replacement and threw the defective tie rod away. I knew which tie rod was bad, because I put the parts in myself. I probably wouldn't have known that, otherwise. This is just an illustration of how 1 part that is slightly out of tolerance, can screw up your ride. A really good mechanic can figure these problems out, without taking your Rx apart. But you would need a Really Good Mechanic! My story was just an illustration. I don't want you to replace tie rods based on my story alone. Just an illustration.
Old 07-17-14, 03:39 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Could this be a "power steering" issue at its core? I am no mechanic, but I still say that the tight steering speaks VOLUMES.
Old 07-17-14, 07:34 PM
park10
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Friends - thanks again for the response....
The dealer's used car appraisal is offering just $33K for my 2013 RX 9k miles with good options (non-nav). Their logic is that's what they would get at auction. they accept its below NADA black book etc but they say we can buy at that price at auction. On the new car side, the dealer is offering pretty good deal. like I said, all done it will cost me $7k....I am not upset at new car guys, but I am at the used car ones. The two groups are separate apparently. Anyway, after trying/ arguing a lot, they are not budging from $7k difference. One thing I can do is cancel the extended platinum warranty and get back $2750 (I paid $3030)...that would reduce the difference to $4200....
The other options Lexus gave me is meet the factory master field engineer on Wednesday and talk with him.. I am not sure whether he will drive with me or give me enough time..- so not optimistic on that..other would be to go to another dealer and try their technicians...see what they come up with..
Lexus is not willing to give me any financial credit or 'help' with new car purchase. they said I could try Lemon law, if denied then try arbitration etc....
I am thinking canceling the extended warranty and poning up $4k to get into new car is only real option....
Old 07-17-14, 08:17 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

All things considered, I agree with your assessment. With stress and time factored in, that sounds like a good way out of this nightmare. I once bought a car and it had rattles that made me crazy. I traded it in for another new car, different car different dealer, too a 2 or 3k hit and moved on. Things happen. I have read many many many car forums, and we are not unique by any means. Good luck!
Old 07-18-14, 07:06 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,085 Likes on 927 Posts

Your repair and complaint history is in the computer network shared by dealers. Another dealer will know all about your issues. I would wait for the Master Field Engineer. These guys are very experienced and have more power to authorize fixes or deals than the dealer staff.

However it appears you will never be happy with this vehicle and need to get out of it. Nothing they will do short of replacing or testing parts you cannot identify etc will make you happy.
I know, I used to defend a couple of Japanese car companies in lemon law cases. I have seen many subjective cases filed, many due to dealer arrogance screwing up solving an issue and pi$$ing off the customer.
I had a case that settled for a subjective complaint of a bad ride in a vehicle. I rode in the car with their zone rep and we only felt a little vibration, but you never know how these things will turn out. Once the customer has a lawyer and files suit, then the manufacturer is more likely to seriously negotiate. Having said that many of the lemon law cases I saw were bogus and the result of buyer remorse or financial issues.
Old 07-18-14, 07:34 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get rid of it too. You could go to carmax to see how much they would give you- usually over blue book. But then you miss the tax savings by trading the older car in- if that is how they are letting you do the deal. If you decide to do it, I would take whichever car you want and take it on LONG test drive to be sure it doesn't have the same problem. $4200 to get out of that lemon isn't bad for a car you are planning to keep a while. Heck, I would say its worth it even if you are to keep the car a few years...life is too short to stay in a car you can't stand to be in.

The other option is to shop other brands...though I'm sure you already thought if that. Other dealers may give you a better deal on the trade in. I fear the lexus dealer is low balling you because they know something is wrong with the car and they just aren't admitting it to you. Other option is to take it to another lexus dealer and see what they will give you for it.
Old 07-18-14, 08:18 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I would get rid of it too. You could go to carmax to see how much they would give you- usually over blue book. But then you miss the tax savings by trading the older car in- if that is how they are letting you do the deal. If you decide to do it, I would take whichever car you want and take it on LONG test drive to be sure it doesn't have the same problem. $4200 to get out of that lemon isn't bad for a car you are planning to keep a while. Heck, I would say its worth it even if you are to keep the car a few years...life is too short to stay in a car you can't stand to be in.

The other option is to shop other brands...though I'm sure you already thought if that. Other dealers may give you a better deal on the trade in. I fear the lexus dealer is low balling you because they know something is wrong with the car and they just aren't admitting it to you. Other option is to take it to another lexus dealer and see what they will give you for it.
Absolutely agree. Fortunately you have three other dealers in the Houston area. I took my 2010 to car max but Lexus offered me more plus the tax credit.
Personally, I'd go to the dealership and tell my story to anyone that would listen including the customers. Where is the person who sold you the car. What's he/ she got to say about this.

Last edited by sandy14; 07-18-14 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 09:30 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Personally, along with many other fine points made in this thread, I think Lexus themselves should be paying a whole lot of attention to this thread. There simply should not be such a variance in suspensions/steering in a 50K vehicle.

They should want to tear the damn car apart and learn from it. If they had replaced your car immediately, or somehow made things right, think of how many people you would have told that Lexus is the best car/dealer on the planet. Most likely 2 of your friends would already have purchased a Lexus
Old 07-18-14, 12:42 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Personally, along with many other fine points made in this thread, I think Lexus themselves should be paying a whole lot of attention to this thread. There simply should not be such a variance in suspensions/steering in a 50K vehicle.

They should want to tear the damn car apart and learn from it. If they had replaced your car immediately, or somehow made things right, think of how many people you would have told that Lexus is the best car/dealer on the planet. Most likely 2 of your friends would already have purchased a Lexus
There were some fine points in this thread and also some complete and utter silly ones.

I couldn't imagine being in the business of owning a dealership and having to have to deal with this "Lexus owes me" because I spent money there previously. Everything about your relationship with Lexus is spelled out in the contract you signed (likely without reading) and nowhere in there does it say they have to make sure you are 100% satisfied. Buy an item, use it for six months and then take it back and get a full refund? Buy an item, then leave it on their property and set off the alarm and walk away. Spend $30-50k on an item without doing your due diligence (I need navigation as my priority but I bought a vehicle with less than steller navigation) and then expect the business to take a loss because you didn't spend as wisely as you should have?

Separate rant from OP's problem.

Hopefully the Master Tech can find something, but as has been said. You have an 'out' with this vehicle and a not very expensive one at that. Jump on it. $4k to get into a NEW vehicle that rides the way you want it to. Why are we even continuing this conversation and not looking at pictures of your new ride? Go for it...
Old 07-18-14, 01:08 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Yeah, time to bow out gracefully and as cheaply as possible
Old 07-18-14, 01:38 PM
ngerstman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with the go for it!!! Life is too short to not move on for around $4,000. I don't disagree with your assessment of the ride, I bought a 2011 CPO after owning a 2005 and found the ride way too harsh over rough roads, seems to transmit too much road as opposed to absorbing the shocks!! Move on. Regards. Ned.
Old 07-18-14, 03:33 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

park10, there's no need to overthink this or try to figure out what's wrong with your RX, if anything. You're not happy and won't be no matter what happens. Take advantage of the opportunity to get into a '15 RX for minimal cost. Forget about meeting with the master field engineer next week. It'll only add to your frustration. Spend the time instead driving a few new RXs to find the one that matches the buttery smooth ride you want. It's your best way out of this situation.
Old 07-18-14, 04:41 PM
nmtomcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, Trade

Truer words were never spoken. It ain't worth the frustration! To give an example, I had a 2009 Lexus RX350 that I liked very much. For some reason, I got a wild hair up my ___ and traded it for a new 2013 Toyota Avalon. I realized my mistake in less than a day, but to trade back would cost a fortune.

Finally, after fretting about it for a while, having the front seats rebuilt by an upholstery shop, and still not being satisfied, I traded it for a new 2013 Lexus RX350. The Avalon had 669 miles on it. Did I lose some money, you bet! Do I know how much, not really! Do I care, no!!

There were four things I did not like about the Avalon: The driver's seat didn't slide back automatically and the steering wheel didn't get up out of the way, and the outside rear view mirrors did not automatically dim from bright lights behind me. Additionally, I did not like the low driving position, having driven pickups, minivans, and SUVs for the past 32 years.

I have saved myself a few times from that frustration by always taking an automobile I'm considering buying home and keeping it overnight before I buy it. That also gives me an opportunity to drive the vehicle over the streets I am very used to, to make certain I like the ride. If the dealer won't agree to that, I save him and myself a lot of time and immediately would leave. They all have agreed or even suggested it. Unfortunately, I didn't do that on the Avalon.

I'm now very happy with my Lexus RX and hope I don't ever make a dumb move like that again.

Neal

Last edited by nmtomcat; 07-18-14 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-18-14, 04:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Last shot, then get the '15

Considering the Tech will be onsite in just a few days from now AND if you have time to show him, I'd give it one last shot. If you also get the runaround, then you know you did everything in your power and you can move on. Since you're already at the dealer, go sign on the '15 RX there and then and look forward to your new comfy ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)