RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Old 03-16-14, 10:57 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
We bought an '11 RX350 CPO last November. The ride seemed rough then. Yesterday, on typical highway road conditions, it rode like a truck. Felt every bump and road irregularities. Seems to be getting worse. 18" Bridgestone Dueller M+S. Probably factory tires. Took it in two weeks after purchase with the rough ride concern. Dealer said ride is normal. Roads around the dealership are smooth. No way to adjust shocks per dealer.
I'm very interested in what Dat Dude discovers. We're under warranty.
Ray A.
Raylor I'll definitely let you know what happens. Based on how you described the ride I feel we both have the same issue.
Old 03-16-14, 02:12 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dat dude
Raylor I'll definitely let you know what happens. Based on how you described the ride I feel we both have the same issue.
I also experience very harsh ride over small potholes and expansion joints. Like a freaking truck with solid axles. So I am also very interested in the results here. Thanks.

The rest of the ride is just fine, but this really makes no sense. Your average Ford (nothing wrong with Ford ) has much better handling of these bumps. I may be driving an Edge soon enough.
Old 03-16-14, 08:51 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CapeDave
I also experience very harsh ride over small potholes and expansion joints. Like a freaking truck with solid axles. So I am also very interested in the results here. Thanks.

The rest of the ride is just fine, but this really makes no sense. Your average Ford (nothing wrong with Ford ) has much better handling of these bumps. I may be driving an Edge soon enough.
For sure Dave I'll post what they say hopefully by the end of the week!
Old 03-17-14, 09:49 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

For sure Dave I'll post what they say hopefully by the end of the week!
Thank you. BTW, I have the 2012 RX350 with 18 inch wheels and brand new Michelin Tour HP V rated.
Old 03-17-14, 09:59 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Thank you. BTW, I have the 2012 RX350 with 18 inch wheels and brand new Michelin Tour HP V rated.
That's definitely odd that you're experiencing a harsh ride with the 18''. You might have the same problem as me as this is common in the 11/12 RX models.
Old 03-18-14, 12:32 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Yes, that is what I was thinking. The roads around here are really crappy. The only car I have not test driven is a Ford Edge. This would be a great time of year to test it as the roads are at their absolute worst. Cold snowy winter with plows almost constant.

I'll be driving along happily and not see anything really noticeable on the road, but it will feel like I hit a small speed bump almost. I am sure this is what they call expansion joints. But it seems to me that other cars handle them much better. Although, admittedly, I pretty much only drive my car
Old 03-20-14, 03:38 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Just got back from Lexus of Roseville, Ca. Went in for 5,000 mile safety check. '11 RX350 CPO. Service advisor said he'd be changing the oil. I said oil still has 5,000 miles to reach 10,000 miles. He offered to reset the dash indicator, and have me come back at 10,000 miles on the oil. Since I was there for a check of the suspension and in need of a wash, I left the car with him. He said it would be 2.5 hours, and I could have a free loaner. I drove the loaner home, only to get a phone call that the car was ready. No problems with suspension, oil changed, and washed. Had I known the job was only one hour, I would have waited. Anyway I got a premature oil change, the pleasure of checking out the Mitsubishi Outback loaner, and a car wash, all on Lexus.
Now I'm anxious to hear from Dat Dude, I think, about his suspension issues.
BTW, the engine seemed a lot quieter with the new oil.
Ray A.
Old 03-20-14, 03:57 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raylor4
Just got back from Lexus of Roseville, Ca. Went in for 5,000 mile safety check. '11 RX350 CPO. Service advisor said he'd be changing the oil. I said oil still has 5,000 miles to reach 10,000 miles. He offered to reset the dash indicator, and have me come back at 10,000 miles on the oil. Since I was there for a check of the suspension and in need of a wash, I left the car with him. He said it would be 2.5 hours, and I could have a free loaner. I drove the loaner home, only to get a phone call that the car was ready. No problems with suspension, oil changed, and washed. Had I known the job was only one hour, I would have waited. Anyway I got a premature oil change, the pleasure of checking out the Mitsubishi Outback loaner, and a car wash, all on Lexus.
Now I'm anxious to hear from Dat Dude, I think, about his suspension issues.
BTW, the engine seemed a lot quieter with the new oil.
Ray A.
I have a bit of an update, I just got my car back from Lexus. I still don't know what part they replaced as they said they'd mail me the work order (slightly odd in my opinion). But whatever they replaced has helped a very slight bit. The bumps don't give as much as a thud as they used to before. I will update this again when/if I get the work order. As always if you have any questions in regards to anything just let me know, I'll try my level best to help
Old 03-20-14, 03:59 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

My suspension is the same way. I have a 2010 RX350 19" wheels Michelin tires (55% tread left, 35 psi) with just under 75k miles and the ride seems to be getting worse day by day. I feel everything thing! My 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with just under 150k miles has a much smoother ride and its tires are practially bald. I wonder if my shocks or whatever it is that dampens the ride have gave out?
Old 03-20-14, 04:04 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sevn86
My suspension is the same way. I have a 2010 RX350 19" wheels Michelin tires (55% tread left, 35 psi) with just under 75k miles and the ride seems to be getting worse day by day. I feel everything thing! My 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with just under 150k miles has a much smoother ride and its tires are practially bald. I wonder if my shocks or whatever it is that dampens the ride have gave out?
If I were to describe my problem I'd say the same thing. What you're saying can be a possibility.
Old 03-20-14, 04:13 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

If I were to describe my problem I'd say the same thing. What you're saying can be a possibility.
The dealer did replace my rear shocks right before my warranty was up and that made a slight diffference but the ride back then wasnt even that rough and my tires were worn out. Also when im getting on and off the driveway, braking to come to a stop at very low speeds I hear creaks and random noises. I wonder what else is wrong with my cars suspension. All I can say is it doesn't drive or ride like a Lexus.
Old 03-20-14, 04:18 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Uh yep, the RX has a pretty harsh ride, but if it were any softer, the RX would lean horribly in turns, and would wallow over bumps. No thanks, I'm quite happy with our 2010's ride, even though the 2008 GX470 we traded in actually had a smoother highway ride.

We can't forget that the RX is a mix of truck & car, and it seems Lexus decided that the RX needed to ride & handle more like a truck than a car. So be it. About the only thing you can do if you are unhappy with the ride is to buy something else. It is what it is....
Old 03-20-14, 05:05 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

I have a bit of an update, I just got my car back from Lexus. I still don't know what part they replaced as they said they'd mail me the work order (slightly odd in my opinion). But whatever they replaced has helped a very slight bit. The bumps don't give as much as a thud as they used to before. I will update this again when/if I get the work order. As always if you have any questions in regards to anything just let me know, I'll try my level best to help
That is really weird, and of no help. Them, not you Why such a darn secret Lexus? Makes me think about test driving the Ford Edge for comparison. Curiouser and curiouser.
Old 03-20-14, 06:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Keep in mind we had an exceptionally cold winter which stiffens the tires and suspension components. Now that we're seeing slightly warmer temps, the ride will be softer and I wonder how much of that is a factor over the replaced part. Please post the info when you get it.
Old 03-24-14, 04:15 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Update** I have taken my Lexus back to the dealer for the suspension issue. They told be they replaced the whole suspension last time which I think is nonsense. Other than that I really have no idea what they're gonna do this time.
I also recently noticed another issue with my Lexus. The auto folding mirrors are scraping the paint of the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)