RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Stolen Catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 01:20 PM
Tom34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stolen Catalytic converter

Recently one of the Catalytic Converters was stolen off my wife's 2010 RX 350. I was wondering if there are any skid plates (factory or aftermarket) that could be installed to make it harder for a thief to get at them. Thanks, Tom
Old 02-05-14, 02:18 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Ouch.
Time to put an aftermarket alarm on, or at least a motion sensor.
Old 02-05-14, 02:51 PM
Tom34
Driver School Candidate

I thought about that VLAD but since the exhaust system is hung with vibration dampening hangers I don't know if body/cabin vibration sensors would pick up a sawzall cutting the thin exhaust pipe. I have started reading up on proximity sensors and asked a few installers and got mixed signals as to whether they would pick up a person sliding under the car. Some installers indicated possible false alarm issues with sensitivity set so low.

I was thinking skid plates mounted with security bolts (special heads) that covered the converters might send a would be thief to a different target. From my readings on stolen converters it would seem Lexus RX models are a common targets and was hoping someone on here was able to find a way to harden the target.
Old 02-05-14, 03:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Tom34, sorry to hear about your catalytic converter being stolen. You'd think the cold weather would've been a deterrent. I hope the thief's fingers fall off from frostbite The alarm idea sounds good on the surface. But like you mentioned it might be difficult to make it work. I'm not aware of any threads here on adding a skid plate. Please keep us posted on what you wind up doing.
Old 02-05-14, 04:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear. Way back, car radios were stolen, then wheels, now catalytic converters?

Have you looked into: http://www.catclamp.com/
Old 02-05-14, 04:30 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Wow, sorry to hear. Way back, car radios were stolen, then wheels, now catalytic converters?
Not really all that new. One word: platinum.
Old 02-05-14, 04:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Yeah, typically there's a rash of thefts. Dealerships get hit the worst. But the cops usually catch them. Only so many times you can get away with it.
Old 02-05-14, 05:20 PM
Tom34
Driver School Candidate

With the crazy cold weather I thought maybe she cracked an exhaust manifold and told her to bring it to the local Lexus dealer. 2K later she is back on the road. Insurance paid minus a $500. deductible and $100. excessive dealer labor rate. Have since found out the converters are about $650. and $75. labor at a muffler shop to install. Will go that route if it happens again but don't want to get into a cycle of replacing converters.

I have looked at several after market products such as Cat Clamps but many folks point to flaws with them. I may end up having a friend fabricate some plates to protect them. Pretty sad. Would love to catch the SOB under the car, put a foot across his throat and run that sawzall over his fingers.

Last edited by Tom34; 02-05-14 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-05-14, 05:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom34
With the crazy cold weather I thought maybe she cracked an exhaust manifold and told her to bring it to the local Lexus dealer. 2K later she is back on the road. Insurance paid minus a $500. deductible and $100. excessive dealer labor rate. Have since found out the converters are about $650. and $75. labor at a muffler shop to install. Will go that route if it happens again but don't want to get into a cycle of replacing converters.

I have looked at several after market products such as Cat Clamps but many folks point to flaws with them. I may end up having a friend fabricate some plates to protect them. Pretty sad. Would love to catch the SOB under the car, put a foot across his throat and run that sawzall over his fingers.
Those cheap converters will not last more than a year or two if you're lucky, they will make your dashboard light up like a christmas tree and you will fail inspection.

Seeing as it is a 2010 RX you have plenty of DECADES of life left, you did the right thing by going with the OEM cat.
Old 02-05-14, 05:50 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Wow. Sorry to hear about the theft. It certainly leaves one feeling violated.

I know there were a rash of headlight thefts in Nissan Maximas a few years ago, when HIDs were new and really expensive and for some reason that particular car was considered a ripe target. A number of state attorney generals even joined in the suit against Nissan. I also recall airbag thefts some years ago. It is just hard to imagine them getting enough out of these stolen parts to make it worth the risk.
Old 02-05-14, 06:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

^The 2nd gen RX too. I saw one victim. My heart sank since I was driving one at the time. Lexus offered a bracket to help deter the thefts. A sticker was also affixed to the headlight. Forgot exactly what it said but I think it had to do with the bracket. Fortunately mine were not taken. HID with AFS = $$$$!

Sad part of it all is if a thief wants something that bad, they''ll figure out a way to get it
Old 02-05-14, 06:19 PM
Tom34
Driver School Candidate

Hey Hypervish,

Are the OEM cats really better? I will be honest with you, I know nothing about cats other than what I have read on line since it was stolen. From what I have read, like many parts, they are not made by Lexus / Toyota. In this particular case, most say all cats are made by a handful of co's. Until the damn thing was cut off, I never really gave it any thought.
Old 02-05-14, 06:31 PM
Tom34
Driver School Candidate

Hey Ward,

Seems the going rate is between $100. - $200 scrap. Would much rather pay the neighborhood thug..... who runs the neighborhood where my wife's hospital is located $100. p/yr protection. More than likely she has treated a relative of the thief. We are comfortable and very charitable but would appreciate our cars not being sawed apart.
Old 02-05-14, 06:33 PM
Tom34
Driver School Candidate

Hey Kitlz,

Will be calling the dealer about that bracket 1st am. Thanks.
Old 02-05-14, 06:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Tom34. the bracket was for the 2nd gen RXs. I'm not aware of anything like that for the 3rd gen.

Quick Reply: Stolen Catalytic converter