RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Text messages in 14' rx350

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 04:45 AM
Browninggo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Text messages in 14' rx350

Both the wife and I have the iPhone. Series 5. Both paired ez to the Lexus. I wanted to check out how messaging worked..so I message her while on her way to work. She said the music quit playing but didn't notice anything on the screen. Is there a setting I have to change/activate to have the message show on screen? Thanks
Old 01-14-14, 05:01 AM
Lexipro
Driver School Candidate

That is not possible. However; new for 2014 is a feature called "Siri eyes free". Just press and hold the talk switch and this will prompt Siri. Then say "read back that last message" and Siri will read that message for you. You can also send a text or email the same way. I find that Siri recognizes my voice much better than the Lexus voice command; therefore I use Siri for all my phone calls. Especially since not all contacts upload to the Lexus.
Old 01-14-14, 05:59 AM
wase4711
Rookie

too bad Lexus didnt enable this for android phones as well...
Old 01-14-14, 06:12 AM
Browninggo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexipro
That is not possible. However; new for 2014 is a feature called "Siri eyes free". Just press and hold the talk switch and this will prompt Siri. Then say "read back that last message" and Siri will read that message for you. You can also send a text or email the same way. I find that Siri recognizes my voice much better than the Lexus voice command; therefore I use Siri for all my phone calls. Especially since not all contacts upload to the Lexus.
So on the 14' Lexus the voice is Siri? Didn't know that. Thanks. Push the talk button, release and say "read back last message"..Thanks Lexipro!
Old 01-14-14, 06:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Not sure about the '14, but on our '13, when a text message comes in, a screen pops up and asks if you want to play the message, and it will stop the music and read it to you. It's a fairly handy feature.

Did the '14s axe this feature, and only use Siri now?

Last edited by JDR76; 01-14-14 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 08:06 AM
Snype
Rookie

Originally Posted by Browninggo
So on the 14' Lexus the voice is Siri? Didn't know that. Thanks. Push the talk button, release and say "read back last message"..Thanks Lexipro!
Push and hold the Off Hook button to get to Siri. The Talk switch is Lexus VR so you can't do the messaging through that.
Old 01-14-14, 08:22 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Not sure about the '14, but on our '13, when a text message comes in, a screen pops up and asks if you want to play the message, and it will stop the music and read it to you. It's a fairly handy feature.

Did the '14s axe this feature, and only use Siri now?
On the 2014 with an iPhone 5, you can receive Text messages, and have them read to you. On the iPhone, you have to turn on Notifications to make this happen.

On the 2014, you can also use Siri to read and reply to Texts and Emails.
Old 01-14-14, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by dmccombs
On the 2014 with an iPhone 5, you can receive Text messages, and have them read to you. On the iPhone, you have to turn on Notifications to make this happen.
That's what the '13 does as well. My question was to see if this function had been replaced by Siri in '14, but your answer makes it clear that Siri is in addition to this feature on the '14. Thanks.
Old 01-14-14, 08:48 AM
wase4711
Rookie

does the text message reading work with Android phones as well, or just Iphones?

thanks
Old 01-14-14, 09:33 AM
Snype
Rookie

Originally Posted by wase4711
does the text message reading work with Android phones as well, or just Iphones?

thanks
If the phone supports the Bluetooth MAP profile, then it should provide for at least some capabilities for text messaging. Apple is the most restrictive.
Old 01-14-14, 10:51 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wase4711

thanks
Actually, this is a trick question, or more accurately a trick answer, and Snype used the correct and key wording.

Weather an Android phone will do work for Texts and Emails comes down to which version of the Android OS they are running. The OS must have Bluetooth MAP profiles working.

In earlier versions of the Android OS, the MAP profiles were included. In version 4.1 or 4.2, they were left out for some unknown reason. They were not put back in version 4.3, but they are now back in version 4.4 (Kit Kat).

So, some android phones will work, and some won't, depending on what version of Android they are running.
Old 01-14-14, 10:57 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Our phones are Samsung GS3s (Verizon) and recently updated to Android 4.3. I could not get text messaging to work prior to the Android update but it works now, at least a limited test sitting in the garage.
Old 01-14-14, 10:57 AM
wase4711
Rookie

Originally Posted by dmccombs
Actually, this is a trick question, or more accurately a trick answer, and Snype used the correct and key wording.

Weather an Android phone will do work for Texts and Emails comes down to which version of the Android OS they are running. The OS must have Bluetooth MAP profiles working.

In earlier versions of the Android OS, the MAP profiles were included. In version 4.1 or 4.2, they were left out for some unknown reason. They were not put back in version 4.3, but they are now back in version 4.4 (Kit Kat).

So, some android phones will work, and some won't, depending on what version of Android they are running.
thanks; I'm on 4.3, on an htc one max, but 4.4 is coming soon...
I was joking with my wife that we should go "backwards" to an Iphone, so some of these features would work, and she gave me the look of death!
Old 01-14-14, 10:58 AM
Browninggo
Rookie

When I tried this function messaging to the wife she stated the music cut off but she did not notice anything on the screen. Maybe she missed the message to be read or for some reason it did not show on screen..I'll do some checking tonight when she gets home. Does the you have a message stay on screen long?
Old 01-14-14, 11:00 AM
mlerskine
Driver School Candidate

Have the '14 RX350 and Samsung S4 running android 4.3. System reads back texts just fine. I didn't need to change any settings... car came normaled that way. In fact the bluetooth integration works remarkably well. Would'a been nice to have Siri for what sounds like better voice integration, but don't do apple! Voice integration still works remarkably well!

Quick Reply: Text messages in 14' rx350