RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 350 Question - Would you buy another?

Old 01-01-14, 06:32 PM
wase4711
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a 08 400h, that I loved, but was getting long in the tooth, so I traded it on a 2012 MDX..Nice car, bigger than the 08 400h, and I never used the 3rd row of seats; also, buying premium gas was annoying, especially in Chicago, and once I switched to regular, the car didn't run well at all..We've had 4 lexus before, and after awhile, I missed the ultimate smoothness, and the lighter feel of the Lexus, so I just grabbed a new 2014rx Tuesday, and I love it!
The MDX is nice, and I didn't drive the 2014MDX(looked too much like my 2012), and I got a nice trade in on it from my Lexus dealer, but, I am very happy to have a lexus in the garage again..I saved over 2k by passing on NAV, since Google maps is so much better and free..Also, sick of all the "normal" colors, so I got a Cashmere Metaliic, and this is the first "brown" car I ever had, so this is a welcome change!
Old 01-02-14, 12:00 PM
alanbussey
Driver School Candidate

Yes - drove a '99 for almost 10 years and 140K miles then traded for a 2010. Totally happy with both.
Old 01-02-14, 01:30 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I would buy it again. I have an F sport (2013) that I have driven as my daily driver for 6+ months.

The F sport ride is firmer, but I only notice it on the bumpiest roads. Overall, I find it very comfortable in handling the normal road imperfections. The ride is also very smooth. I also diagree that this is a noisy car. Our other car is a Honda Odyssey Touring, and THAT thing is loud. I never realized how loud until I got the lexus. Now we are looking at getting rid of the minivan.

My last point about the ride quality, is that if you want a buttery ride without feeling anything from the road, I would look into a sedan, not a high riding SUV...this would be much safer from a rollover risk standpoint. I test drove a 2008 rx when they came out and the body lean the car experienced around a typical turn really scared me. I truly felt like I was going to tip over. There has been a major emphasis on reducing rollover risk in SUVs for the past 15 years due to this issue. This is why, across the board, most car manufacturers are making cars with stiffer suspension systems....particularly those with high centers of gravity. I am no expert on this by any means, but I test drove a bunch of cars before buying the lexus, and noticed that there weren't ANY that had the kind of soft ride people recall from years ago.
Old 01-02-14, 04:18 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viperdoc
Yes, I would buy it again. I have an F sport (2013) that I have driven as my daily driver for 6+ months.

The F sport ride is firmer, but I only notice it on the bumpiest roads. Overall, I find it very comfortable in handling the normal road imperfections. The ride is also very smooth. I also diagree that this is a noisy car. Our other car is a Honda Odyssey Touring, and THAT thing is loud. I never realized how loud until I got the lexus. Now we are looking at getting rid of the minivan.

My last point about the ride quality, is that if you want a buttery ride without feeling anything from the road, I would look into a sedan, not a high riding SUV...this would be much safer from a rollover risk standpoint. I test drove a 2008 rx when they came out and the body lean the car experienced around a typical turn really scared me. I truly felt like I was going to tip over. There has been a major emphasis on reducing rollover risk in SUVs for the past 15 years due to this issue. This is why, across the board, most car manufacturers are making cars with stiffer suspension systems....particularly those with high centers of gravity. I am no expert on this by any means, but I test drove a bunch of cars before buying the lexus, and noticed that there weren't ANY that had the kind of soft ride people recall from years ago.
I have suspected something like this regarding ride differences. I have ruled out all sedans due to ease of entry/exit and better viewing from being higher. Darn.
Old 01-02-14, 04:31 PM
zmanRX350
Driver

no. many items I'm unhappy with my RX350 that I was expecting much more.

1) better fuel economy
2) better Mark Levinson audio system
3) better OEM tires than Dunlop's
4) smoother ride
5) Better XM sat radio display on NAV screen
6) better Hill Assist option
7) better heating system
8) better Garage Home Link system
9) better iPhone interface
Old 01-02-14, 05:41 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmanRX350

1) better fuel economy
4) smoother ride
7) better heating system
Better meaning what, please explain with how it could be made better and by what brand.
Old 01-03-14, 12:19 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

1) better fuel economy
4) smoother ride
7) better heating system
Same with jgr7, what's your definition of better?

Let's take number 1. Fuel economy, Excluding the 450h, i have to say the 350 can hold its own. For a midsize CUV, it's pretty good. The only way you can get more mpg is to change the V6 to an i4.
And im sure most owners won't like that.

Real world observation, my 2013 RX 350 has a higher mpg than a 2011 Honda CRV. ( owned by a family member.) Check the gas milage thread.i have posted some pictures.

I can comment on numbers 2-9 as well, but i'll just wait for your response.
Old 01-03-14, 07:33 AM
wase4711
Rookie

1) better fuel economy
4) smoother ride
7) better heating system
1- Name a gas powered large SUV that gets much better mileage...
2. You aren't blown away by the Mark Levinson????
3. My 2014 has Michelins, so you never know what you get when it comes to OE tires.
4. HUH????
5. What improvements would you like to see?
6. works fine so far for me
7. HUH? its 10 below zero today, and I was warm as toast in my car
8. Took me about 30 seconds to setup, the fastest on ANY car ever
9. No I phones here, Androids only

I guess you just can't please everyone every time...This vehicle is far from perfect, as every vehicle has its flaws, but not sure why your issues are with the things you posted here..
Old 01-03-14, 08:25 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably stay with Lexus but will go with an AWD sedan. My wife is the primary driver & has complained about the stiffer ride vs. a sedan. Sitting a little higher from the road on a wheelbase about the same as previous sedans she's getting a rougher ride. We're running everything factory stock except the Summer tires are 19" vs. the 18" for Winter.
Our '05 Accord seems to have more storage space in the trunk than the RX.
Compliments only, no complaints at all, to our local dealer. Lexus stepped up a couple times on what we thought were minor issues & surprised us.
Old 01-04-14, 08:06 AM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

I'm a new owner of 2010 RX 350 CPO. I Used to have ES-300. It seems to me that quality has gone down. My ES had almost 120k miles and less rattles then my Rx350 with a 20k miles. I can only imagin how it will be at 120k miles. Also my experience with the Lexus dealer was that of a small lot used car dealer. Not so good! I was so surprised. On top of that at the end, sales mgr pulls me aside and shows me how he wants me to fill out the customer satisfaction survey. Of course he doesn't want me to take in to consideration of my experience. So all that put together, if I had known before I would not buy a lex.
Old 01-04-14, 08:42 AM
wase4711
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES300_NJ
I'm a new owner of 2010 RX 350 CPO. I Used to have ES-300. It seems to me that quality has gone down. My ES had almost 120k miles and less rattles then my Rx350 with a 20k miles. I can only imagin how it will be at 120k miles. Also my experience with the Lexus dealer was that of a small lot used car dealer. Not so good! I was so surprised. On top of that at the end, sales mgr pulls me aside and shows me how he wants me to fill out the customer satisfaction survey. Of course he doesn't want me to take in to consideration of my experience. So all that put together, if I had known before I would not buy a lex.
don't let a bad experience at a shady dealership slant your opinion of the car..
you should have left and went to a different lexus store if you were being treated rudely at this dealership. If you have rattles, take it back and make them fix, take it to another lexus dealer and have them fix it, or call the local lexus zone office and ask them where to go.
When you talk to the zone office,report the dealership if something improper was going on during your visit..
Old 01-04-14, 10:44 AM
dsinn
Driver School Candidate

Just bought a new 2013 RX 450h (premium and comfort packages) I have not even hit 2000 miles yet
Had a 2004 Camry XLE and as I really like the higher ride of the RX - it is way easier to get in and out of
Dunlop tires do seem a bit noisy and when time comes I will replace with a softer tire
Also considerable wind noise from rear doors if going 50 MPH or greaer which I intend to have the dealer deal with as wind noise should be correctable
Everything else is great so far
Old 01-06-14, 06:32 AM
zmanRX350
Driver

Originally Posted by wase4711
1- Name a gas powered large SUV that gets much better mileage...
2. You aren't blown away by the Mark Levinson????
3. My 2014 has Michelins, so you never know what you get when it comes to OE tires.
4. HUH????
5. What improvements would you like to see?
6. works fine so far for me
7. HUH? its 10 below zero today, and I was warm as toast in my car
8. Took me about 30 seconds to setup, the fastest on ANY car ever
9. No I phones here, Androids only

I guess you just can't please everyone every time...This vehicle is far from perfect, as every vehicle has its flaws, but not sure why your issues are with the things you posted here..
1) my 2011 AWD V6 sticker says "Fuel Economy 18/24 mpg" I do not get this.
2) No, Mark Levison has MAX volume of 60 which is not nearly enough.
3) Agree, the Dunlop's I have stink.
4) Yes, smoother ride. Many others in this same thread had negative comments about the lack of soft ride.
5) Full text display on song artist and song title. More than three SAT menus
6) My hill assist engages on flat ground when I'm parking in my garage. Lexus tech told me this is normal and he laughed too.
7) The floor fan does not get warm enough. No rear seat heated seat option.
8) Does not work with 433MHz garage systems.
9) ok
Old 01-06-14, 06:50 AM
wase4711
Rookie

4) Yes, smoother ride. Many others in this same thread had negative comments about the lack of soft ride.
6) My hill assist engages on flat ground when I'm parking in my garage. Lexus tech told me this is normal and he laughed too.
9) ok
1. maybe you are driving too aggressively; some folks get better, some get worse
2. I could never listen to mark Levinson that loud; maybe u have slight hearing loss from listening to music too loud in the past?
3. No fan of Dunlop here either
4.Maybe your tires are too hard; try letting a few lbs out and see if that helps
5.Music meta data is iffy on almost all cars
6. call Lexus Zone office and ask them if that is normal; I don't see that on my 2014 rx
7. rear seat heaters would be a nice luxury option; your fan motor may be defective if the floor fan isn't warm enough, or your heater core could be defective. How old is your antifreeze/thermostat?
8. What garage door operates on 433MHZ?
9. Android Rules!!(Sorry IPhone owners)
Old 01-06-14, 07:27 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

9) ok
So did you test drive before you purchased? Hill assist will engage when you push hard while stopped, you RX doesn't know if you are on a hill it is your foot input that triggers it. Need more than 60 volume, wow. The floor fan doesn't control warmth it only pushes the warm air out, have it looked at while still under warranty, maybe your mix door is broken. This is my 3rd RX and all have gotten the mileage stated or better, could be a driving style issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX 350 Question - Would you buy another?