RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

ARROW UP OF THE cabin air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-13, 01:51 AM
michaelcao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARROW UP OF THE cabin air filter?

today, i install the air filter and carbin air filter, the first time to DIY for my car. But i see the post of link here
"I assumed the Air Flow is from Top to Bottom - hence the new Filter would be installed with the Arrow DOWN, to match the airflow in the housing. Aside from being confusing, does anyone see a problem with this? "
but someone said that
So the arrow parts to the top as that's the supply side of the filter
i got confused about these words and i found the manual said the arrow goes up, but the previous cabin air filter installed by the dealer goes down.
i choose the arrow goes up but i hear louder voice when i turn on the air conditioner than before. Any suggestion?
Another bad but lucky experience is that i set up these two air filter too long and finally the battery is down.At first, i didn't know it and I can't push the break pad when i start the engine and the check engine light is on. i don'y know why the battery light is not on but the engine light is on. finally i call the aaa,and change the battery for $110 plus tax and it has three year warranty and three year to fix it. lucky, i will travel from sacramento to los angelas through the highway 1 and i don't need to worry about the battery at all.
Old 12-22-13, 10:03 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Air flow Direction

Originally Posted by 506709631
today, i install the air filter and carbin air filter, the first time to DIY for my car. But i see the post of link here
"I assumed the Air Flow is from Top to Bottom - hence the new Filter would be installed with the Arrow DOWN, to match the airflow in the housing. Aside from being confusing, does anyone see a problem with this? "
but someone said that
So the arrow parts to the top as that's the supply side of the filter
i got confused about these words and i found the manual said the arrow goes up, but the previous cabin air filter installed by the dealer goes down.
i choose the arrow goes up but i hear louder voice when i turn on the air conditioner than before. Any suggestion?
Another bad but lucky experience is that i set up these two air filter too long and finally the battery is down.At first, i didn't know it and I can't push the break pad when i start the engine and the check engine light is on. i don'y know why the battery light is not on but the engine light is on. finally i call the aaa,and change the battery for $110 plus tax and it has three year warranty and three year to fix it. lucky, i will travel from sacramento to los angelas through the highway 1 and i don't need to worry about the battery at all.
You are right. Air flows from the top down, therefore, arrows down for filter. The "UP" arrow on the cover is just so the cover fits properly. That arrow does not pertain to air flow.
I don't think there's a need to involve the engine with the filter changes.
I live in Lincoln near Sacramento. Feel free to email me privately if you have any cabin air filter questions.
Here is a link to Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Lexus RX350 maintenance with cabin air filter pictures.
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04_03.pdf
Hope this helps.
Ray
PS Great price on the installation of a new battery by AAA.
Old 12-22-13, 10:42 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
PS Great price on the installation of a new battery by AAA.
I have been a AAA member for over 40 years but am not impressed with their battery service. My wife's 2002 Highlander battery died and the AAA Battery service guy came out, jump started the car, tested the battery and told me it was shot. I told him I wanted to drive across town to my own mechanic and he got angry and rude telling me it probably would not make the trip of 2 or 3 miles. I decided to risk it and made it to the garage where they tested the battery right away and said there was nothing wrong with it. We did have to replace the battery, over 2 years later. A bit of reading online showed a lot of dissatisfaction with the AAA battery service in both the quality of the battery they sold and the difficulty in getting any warranty service. I sent two emails to AAA complaining about the service and never got a reply. We still have AAA road service but unless I was really stuck someplace I would not purchase a AAA battery.