RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 Rx 350 with 18,750 miles won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 01:07 AM
Jmbrowne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2010 Rx 350 with 18,750 miles won't start

A few weeks ago I was in New York City after driving an hour to get there. I stopped for an appointment and when I returned my car was totally dead. It took almost an hour to charge it enough to start it. The Lexus dealer kept it for 3 days and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Battery checked out and they did several checks on all the electrical.

Five weeks later, I again drove into the city, did an errand, drove in slow traffic for an hour, and went shopping for another hour. When I returned the car was dead again. This time it was so dead the tow truck couldn't get it into neutral even though the inside lights would go on. I had it towed to my house because it was so late and will have it towed to the same Lexus dealer in the morning.

If its not the battery, what else could it be? I noticed before it happened I had to start it twice and when I tried to turn it off it stayed in accessory mode until I held the start button for several seconds. I also couldn't get my iPhone to sync for several days. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-13, 06:31 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, you should be able to jump a car in less than a minute (if it's the battery). I'm going to assume it's not the battery.
Other things to check (at the top of my head):
1. Your key battery. Try your other key fob, or just go ahead and replace the battery in both of them. There is a method in the manual you can use to start the car even if the battery in your key fob is dead. Hopefully it's as simple as this.
2. Faulty wiring or circuit board, which would be a pain in the butt to diagnose, because it could be just about anywhere in the ignition process.

I'm a little confused as to why it stayed in accessory mode when you turned the car off. This makes me think that the button thinks you pressed it twice.
Old 12-13-13, 08:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, JmBrowne. Sorry to hear about the problems with your RX. I assume since the two incidents happened in the city with tons of attended parking garages, someone else is parking your vehicle. Maybe they left the RX in accessory mode A few members have done this and their batteries died within an hour. I'd try using the second key fob with a fresh battery which has already been mentioned. The dealer said your battery is fine but it may actually be at the end of its life. About four years is the norm. Ask the dealer to replace it especially now with the cold weather. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-14-13, 05:53 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmbrowne
A few weeks ago I was in New York City after driving an hour to get there. I stopped for an appointment and when I returned my car was totally dead. It took almost an hour to charge it enough to start it. The Lexus dealer kept it for 3 days and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Battery checked out and they did several checks on all the electrical.

Five weeks later, I again drove into the city, did an errand, drove in slow traffic for an hour, and went shopping for another hour. When I returned the car was dead again. This time it was so dead the tow truck couldn't get it into neutral even though the inside lights would go on. I had it towed to my house because it was so late and will have it towed to the same Lexus dealer in the morning.

If its not the battery, what else could it be? I noticed before it happened I had to start it twice and when I tried to turn it off it stayed in accessory mode until I held the start button for several seconds. I also couldn't get my iPhone to sync for several days. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sounds like the shift linkage issue. You couldn't get the car into neutral. The car thought it was already in neutral. Can't start the car in neutral.

Just curious, you towed the car using a flat bed truck right? Unless your car is a FWD.