RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Who Changes Their Own Oil/Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 04:19 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I agree with you totally with similar experiences......not just with Lexus, but also with MB's.

The "monkey wrench" changing your oil at most dealerships (even high end dealerships) are the "lowest paying dude" in the entire shop!!!

Question: So which one is better? The Mobil One filter or the OEM Lexus (Toyota) filter? I usually use the OEM Lexus (Toyota) filters, but sometimes use the WIX WP filters.

Originally Posted by 14RX350
Doing some simple maintenance on your car is just like most things in life... It appears so complicated at first because you're not familiar with it, but once you've done it you realize there's really nothing to it.
I like doing the maintenance items on my car because I like to know that the work has actually been done, done correctly, and done with quality parts/ fluids. And I also find it rewarding. The $ savings is nice, but the other reasons are of more importantance to me.
Every place is different, but one thing I noticed when I was taking my cars in for oil changes when I was younger was that it seemed they would always overfill it no matter where I went.

I purchased the OEM Lexus filter and the Mobil 1 extended performance filter to compare the two. I thought you guys might like seeing a comparison as I thought it was kinda shocking the difference in quality and weight. You can guess which one I went with...

Old 07-27-18, 06:08 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Weight is an interesting issue, and can be a helpful point of reference. In this case, though, you simply cannot make a direct comparison between filter weight and "better/worse filtration" because the metal components (primary source of M1's extra weight) do not perform any filtration whatsoever. After all, "filtration" is the real issue here. That said, it is clear that the M1 element is built more robustly, but that only matters if there is a historical problem with the OEM filter falling apart... and I do not believe that is an issue at all, so the heavily built M1 is almost a moot point altogether.

The true test of a filter's capability is found in three characteristics (I believe it is a rare thing for ANY filter to come apart and let gross junk pass into the engine):
1. flow rate (if you can't get enough oil through the filter fast enough, you cannot achieve adequate lubrication in the engine)
2. pressure loss across the filter (if the downstream oil pressure is too low, you cannot achieve adequate lubrication in the engine)
3. particle size/quantity allowed through the filter (if you cannot trap enough abrasive particulate inside the filter, you will experience premature internal wear in the engine)

Testing the above three issues cannot be done with a simple scale. What we CAN do is the following:
A. Tear open the filter element and measure the amount of surface area of the filter media
B. Weigh JUST the filter media
C. Measure the thickness of the filter media

However, all three of the A-B-C steps above are only surrogate indications of quality because we cannot measure the differential pressure at flow and temperature or the particle rejection efficiencies without extensive lab setups. That means that we have to rely on large third party unbiased organizations to perform these kinds of filtration tests, but they are rarely available. Consequently, we have to rely on "reputation" and marketing, for the most part, but we need to recognize that a lot of word of mouth reputation is heavily influenced by fear-based marketing. It's just the way it is.

For grins and giggles, I've linked three oil filter test/comparison studies just to demonstrate the level of detail required for a true evaluation of an oil filter. NOTE... I neither support nor oppose any of the linked studies because I have not studied them in detail, and have provided the links as EXAMPLES ONLY. Incidentally, none of the links below include a Toyota filter element.
https://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html
https://filtrationcomparisons.weebly...d-results.html

Below is one more filter comparison (includes Toyota, but not M1). Again, this one is not a true performance comparison, just technical data about the filtration media differences between brands, and is a more in-depth explanation of what I've mentioned above.

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/tacom...ter-comparison

Last edited by F250; 07-27-18 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (07-27-18)
Old 07-27-18, 10:25 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you for the info. Of course, there are many variables to consider. What made me think about the difference in the two filters was the mention of extended drain intervals and running our oil and filters longer than before. My point was just about the ruggedness of the filter. It appears to me to be built to last longer. I will not be taking to the lab and conducting the tests and research mentioned, so I can only make a choice based on the limited information that is readily available to me.
Old 07-27-18, 12:23 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Along with the engineering [least cost for the purpose] there is a trend to go green.
I grew up with a car that needed felt (or felt like) filter. That was given up for a quick 1/2 minute remove and install .. all in one can filter ... and now a green (er) filter which takes more time to remove and install. We have made a full circle.

Salim

Old 07-27-18, 01:00 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

id like to see an oil filter element comparison between the toyota, wix and fram ...it would be more of a comparible review because they don't have metal or plastic caps..just the pleated media.
Old 07-27-18, 02:33 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

This is an article by Amsoil that contributed to my decision to go with a "premium grade" filter.
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2192.pdf
They did test a Toyota filter.
Again, I understand that there are many variables.
And yes, I know that it is for Amsoil and not Mobil1
Old 07-30-18, 07:29 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Thank you for the info. Of course, there are many variables to consider. What made me think about the difference in the two filters was the mention of extended drain intervals and running our oil and filters longer than before. My point was just about the ruggedness of the filter. It appears to me to be built to last longer. I will not be taking to the lab and conducting the tests and research mentioned, so I can only make a choice based on the limited information that is readily available to me.
Your point as to filter ruggedness is certainly a valid point, for sure, especially when planning extended OCI's. None of us can really do the necessary lab work, and your point about working with whatever limited info we have available is certainly valid as well. I guess I should have clarified that my primary goal in posting what I did was to try to help folks NOT gain confidence in quality based weight alone.

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
id like to see an oil filter element comparison between the Toyota, Wix and Fram ...it would be more of a comparable review because they don't have metal or plastic caps..just the pleated media.
This is an article by Amsoil that contributed to my decision to go with a "premium grade" filter.
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2192.pdf
They did test a Toyota filter.
Again, I understand that there are many variables.
And yes, I know that it is for Amsoil and not Mobil1
There are some vendor-specific evaluations of filter elements, but I wanted to avoid those reports because of the "fox in the hen house" effect.
Old 07-30-18, 05:07 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hlu
3. I doubt most dealers follow the maintenance manual to blow cleaning air filter etc. Mine did not.
Just on this point, not to intentionally deviate from the original topic, I would *never* blow out the paper filter engine air element - it creates microscopic "holes" in the element, which will allow really fine particles to pass through.

Re the Mobil1 oil filter, the number of pleats (folds?) look substantially more than the Toyota part. So in theory, there is siginficantly more filter material surface area. This could account for the "extended performance" claim. I would still go with the factory OEM, but will only purchase from a Toyota dealership over the counter, as there are lots of fakes out there.
Old 07-30-18, 05:30 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I think the air-blow reference was for cabin filter and not the engine air intake.

I generally shake or tap the engine-air intake filter in-between the recommended replacement time.

Salim
Old 07-31-18, 08:05 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Tiny holes in the air filter are a much more significant issue when running a turbocharged intake system. As long as you're not doing extended OCI's, tiny microscopic holes will not create any significant issue at all. Saying that, though, I would not blow out an air filter either for risk of actually creating a tear or rupture in a place where you can't see it. Alternatively, you could vacuum it with a brush attachment, but in all honesty, air filters are cheap and there is no justification (in my mind) to risk compromising its integrity for the sake of a few dollars. Just change it every year and worry about bigger things!
Old 07-31-18, 03:26 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Does anyone suck the oil out through the dipstick tube? I know folks with german vehicles who do this and no need to get under the car and open any drain plug. Just wanted to see if this was an alternative with the RX. Have a 2012 RX 450h myself. TIA
I have an oil suction device, which I have not tried on the Lexus before. I bought it for the C class Merc I had a long time ago. Will try it and let you know. I guess it's a bit redundant for a Lexus because one does need to get underneath the vehicle to replace the engine oil filter anyways. On a Merc engine, the filter is right at the top, and can be easily accessed, so an oil suction device makes sense.

Old 08-01-18, 02:32 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tempestv8
I have an oil suction device, which I have not tried on the Lexus before. I bought it for the C class Merc I had a long time ago. Will try it and let you know. I guess it's a bit redundant for a Lexus because one does need to get underneath the vehicle to replace the engine oil filter anyways. On a Merc engine, the filter is right at the top, and can be easily accessed, so an oil suction device makes sense.
Waste of time. I have MityVac that I use for my Audi and I tried it on the Lexus once. Redundant, as you already said.
Not worth the risk getting the suction tube stuck in the oil dipstick tube.
Old 08-10-18, 07:16 PM
Rojalio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

Can I use Quaker State 0W20 full synthetic in my 2013 Lexus RX350?
Old 08-10-18, 07:43 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

You can use any 0W20 synthetic oil you want to.
I use Mobile 1 as you can find it on sale at Walmart and a rebate from Mobile a couple time a year. Puts it at less than $2 a quart.
Old 08-12-18, 09:13 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Back from my drive 1200 miles a week, for a year, times, I became very partial to Quaker State. As I then did oil changes every 3000 miles (2002) and I got real tired of doing it every 3rd week. Out of all oils I tried then, QS was the best lasting one.
Otherwise, nowerdays, I call a synthetic a synthetic. They are all about same in quality and I am not the type to pay premium for fancy name. For casual driver, what we are 99%, oill is oil. It's when you get into racing on autobahn or ripping tires in the ciy, that minor additives make difference. But who really does this...
The following users liked this post:
EA6BMECH (09-24-18)

Quick Reply: Who Changes Their Own Oil/Filter?