RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Changing opening Image

Old 12-02-13, 04:22 PM
titomang
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a heads up, I've tried it on my 2011 RX and it doesn't work. I think this only works for the 2013+ RX since they updated the software.
Old 12-02-13, 05:32 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I loaded up my USB drive from my Mac using the correct folders names, and 700k-800k .jpg images. The system said no images found. I then started over re-copying the files and folders from a PC, and it worked fine. I suggest using a PC to load your USB drive.
Old 01-27-14, 12:31 AM
my1strx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am experiencing some issues loading my personalize pic. I do understand the folders are case sensitive and pics should be JPEG. But still I can't upload pics. I am using MAC. Any suggestions on the same for me ?
Old 01-27-14, 06:22 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by my1strx350
I am experiencing some issues loading my personalize pic. I do understand the folders are case sensitive and pics should be JPEG. But still I can't upload pics. I am using MAC. Any suggestions on the same for me ?
Look at the post right above yours and give that a try.
Old 01-27-14, 07:17 AM
wallykeys
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my1strx350
I too had problems uploading pics from my Mac. I transferred the pics I wanted to use over to our PC and it read the files without a problem!
Old 02-03-14, 09:19 PM
Timofey
Driver School Candidate

Guys! Please take note, the system (Enform) support only FAT32 formating, that means, those who use Mac instead of Windows operating computer, will not be able to transfer their image.
Old 02-04-14, 01:11 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Timofey
Guys! Please take note, the system (Enform) support only FAT32 formating, that means, those who use Mac instead of Windows operating computer, will not be able to transfer their image.
Why not? FAT16 and FAT32 devices have been supported on the Mac for a long time now. The Mac even supports exFAT in newer versions of the OS.

Does the Lexus support all FAT32 device sizes and all cluster sizes? We have seen previously on this thread that it works for FAT32 and 32kb cluster (allocation unit) sizes. Not sure we have enough data to know why past attempts have not worked when a Mac is involved.

For those who have tried this using a Mac and have failed, what size USB Flash Drive are you using? How was the USB Flash Drive formatted? As it came from the factory? Still as MS-DOS FAT32 as seen in a Get Info window or in Disk Utility? Or, did you format it on the Mac as MS-DOS (FAT)?

For those who tried the Mac and failed and had success using the same USB Flash Drive on a Windows computer to copy the files, was the drive reformatted on the Windows computer before you copied?

If you format a USB Flash Drive MS-DOS (FAT) on a Mac you do not get to select between FAT16 and FAT32, it selects if for you based on device size though most of the large USB Flash Drives would be formatted FAT32, and you have no way to set the cluster size when using Disk Utility. You also need to make sure the partition is of type MBR which should be the default.

Another reason why this might fail when using a Mac is the lack of filename extensions when copying the files. If you do not see the filename extension displayed on the files after being copied to the USB Flash Drive I would add them.

Finally, the Mac has a nasty habit of including hidden files on a volume when you copy something to it even to those formatted FAT32. These files can be seen in Windows and begin with a period or dot (.). Some devices do not like these and as they appear at the top of any directory listing may cause the device to give a pass on reading any further information from the drive.

As a test I pulled a Mac out of inventory and formatted a 4GB USB Flash Drive using Disk Utility as MS-DOS (FAT). When I tested the device it was formatted as FAT32 with a 4kb allocation unit size. Not the 32kb as described previously as necessary for this task. So, if you are using a Mac to format the USB Flash Drive this is likely where many will fail unless you know how to use Terminal and the appropriate switches.

Do not believe this precludes the ability to use a Mac to copy the files. Not enough data as mentioned previous. However, most will need a Windows computer to format the USB Flash Drive to the appropriate parameters before you begin.
Old 02-04-14, 07:32 AM
armadillo
Driver School Candidate

I am at a loss why the Mac won't work. Here's my procedure:
- Virgin 4GB flash drive MS-DOS FAT32 formatted
- 2 Music folders (102 and 396 mp3 files) - they are recognized and played properly
- 2 image folders (properly named and containing 3 jpg each) - not recognized

So then I accessed the flash drive on a PC
- removed all dot files (trash and spotlight stuff) so that only regular files remain - no luck
- copied the 2 image folders to PC desktop - deleted the ones on flash - returned the folders to flash - still no luck
- finally, trashed the folders on flash again and created new folders on flash, then copied jpgs into them - success

HTH
Old 03-09-14, 10:52 PM
jord533
Driver School Candidate

Good news! I successfully formatted a harddrive using my retina Macbook Pro, added music to it, and played it in my car. Here are the steps I took to get it to work:
  1. Open the terminal
  2. First we need to know the device node. To find this, type the following command in the terminal:
    diskutil info [drive name]
    Drive name is the name you see on your desktop when the drive is connected.
    ex: diskutil info pny8gb
    Device node should be the second item listed. Mine looked like this: Device Node: /dev/disk2s2
  3. Now we need to unmount this drive. Enter the following command in the terminal:
    diskutil unmount [device node]
    Change [device node] to what ever it was called from step 2.
    ex: diskutil unmount /dev/disk2s2
  4. Next, enter the following command:
    sudo newfs_msdos -v [volume name] -F 32 -c 32 [device node]
    Replace [volume name] with whatever you want to name the drive
    Replace [device node] with the result from step 2.
    ex: sudo newfs_msdos -v is350 -F 32 -c 32 /dev/disk2s2
  5. Final step. Mount the drive using the following command:
    diskutil mount [device node]
    ex: diskutil mount /dev/disk2s2
Good luck!

Last edited by jord533; 03-09-14 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-10-14, 08:05 AM
armadillo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jord533
Good news! I successfully formatted a harddrive using my retina Macbook Pro, added music to it, and played it in my car. Here are the steps I took to get it to work:

Good luck!
Please note that music is NOT the issue. Neither is Disk Utilities a problem as it can format flash drives as FAT 32. So for those who prefer GUI functionality it is not necessary to use the Terminal, although your instructions are appreciated by those who are comfortable with it.

The real issue (and the subject of this thread) is the proper recognition of startup images (as I said, mp3s are not a problem). Are you saying that you can load startup images from the Terminal-formatted drive?
Old 03-10-14, 08:53 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
As a test I pulled a Mac out of inventory and formatted a 4GB USB Flash Drive using Disk Utility as MS-DOS (FAT). When I tested the device it was formatted as FAT32 with a 4kb allocation unit size. Not the 32kb as described previously as necessary for this task. So, if you are using a Mac to format the USB Flash Drive this is likely where many will fail unless you know how to use Terminal and the appropriate switches.
Originally Posted by jord533

Next, enter the following command:
sudo newfs_msdos -v [volume name] -F 32 -c 32 [device node]
Replace [volume name] with whatever you want to name the drive
ex: sudo newfs_msdos -v is350 -F 32 -c 32 /dev/disk2s2

Good luck!
Terminal is what you need to use to get you there, IMO. As I stated above, the key to the problem was how the Mac OS Disk Utility formatted the USB Flash Drive and its resultant allocation unit size. The original instructions were very specific about the need for the allocation unit size to be 32kb and nothing else.

-F 32 formats the device FAT32
-c 32 tells it to use a 32kb allocation unit size

Give it a try and let us know. Personally, I have no dog in this hunt. Just a man or can type man.
Old 03-10-14, 12:30 PM
armadillo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Terminal is what you need to use to get you there, IMO. As I stated above, the key to the problem was how the Mac OS Disk Utility formatted the USB Flash Drive and its resultant allocation unit size. The original instructions were very specific about the need for the allocation unit size to be 32kb and nothing else.

-F 32 formats the device FAT32
-c 32 tells it to use a 32kb allocation unit size

Give it a try and let us know. Personally, I have no dog in this hunt. Just a man or can type man.
Please read my previous post #23. Terminal is NOT needed. I have formatted with Disk Utility and everything related to mp3 playback is just fine and I can also access background images. However, while I can use mp3s transferred from the Mac to the flash, I have to transfer the jpgs from the PC. So I have tried exactly what you asked and I can confirm that Disk Utility will format the drive properly for use in the Lexus. The kicker is the jpg writing and I have no logical explanation for that. I should probably add that this was tested with Mavericks and 2014 RX450h in case that is a factor.
Old 03-10-14, 07:36 PM
websailor
Rookie

Default Picture Dimensions

Does anyone know what the picture dimensions should be (in pixels or in inches). I tried 8.5" x 5" but it comes up as a small picture - probably half the size of the actual screen

I read the manuals and did not see any mention of the dimensions. I measure the actual screen, which is why I picked the 8.5" x 5".

I did get a neat new opening screen on my RX450H by following the instructions.

Next I have to see what happens when the USB memory stick with my music on it is taken out by the wife and her USB memory stick with her music is put in.
Old 03-21-14, 10:21 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't have any trouble uploading the images (16GB USB on PC). Put three images in the each of the named folders. I didn't pay any attention to what size they are but didn't encounter any difficulites. I was disappointed to learn that the "screen off" image only comes into play when you turn the screen off (hope that doesn't sound stupid). I was hoping it meant the image would appear as you turn the vehicle off. NOT what it means.
Old 03-21-14, 05:50 PM
websailor
Rookie

Likewise, I figured that out also and thought, "Now that's not properly named!" Oh well!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing opening Image