RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

PDT [EDT/CDT] to PST [EST/CST] auto switch by clock

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-13, 11:29 AM
rx350drivr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDT [EDT/CDT] to PST [EST/CST] auto switch by clock

My settings for the dashboard clock of a 2013 RX350 are as follows:

Timezone=Pacific
Daylight Saving Time=On
Auto Adjust Clock=On

I expected the last setting to mean that the clock would automatically fall back on 11/3/13 after it checked current time with my cell phone or the computer it downloads software from. For example, I do not ever have to set the clock on my cell phone after the switch to Standard Time from Daylight Saving or vice-versa.

This expected automatic adjustment of time has not happened and the clock is off by one hour. Of course if I change the "Daylight Saving Time" setting to "Off", I suppose the clock will adjust itself. But then, what is so 'Auto' about that? Sort of contradicts the whole idea of having the last setting.

Just thought I will check with you guys before experimenting with the second setting. If there is truly an auto-adjustment, I would rather set it and forget about making adjustments again in spring and the coming years.

Last edited by rx350drivr; 11-05-13 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 12:53 PM
nmnunna32
Driver School Candidate

Good question. I stumbled on this myself yesterday.
Old 11-05-13, 03:54 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nmnunna32
Good question. I stumbled on this myself yesterday.
Same problem..
Old 11-05-13, 05:34 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, another annoyance.
Old 11-05-13, 06:57 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

"Auto On" the clock sets itself according to the previous two setting, but not spring ahead, fall behind sorry.
"Auto Off" you have to set the time manually.

Originally I thought it had something to do with the space–time continuum. Nope just setting the clock manually.
Old 11-05-13, 07:35 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I agree it is an annoyance we have to go in and set DST on and off just like all our dumb clocks and watches around the house. Having had Nav in my Lexi over the years me needing to always make these manual changes I figured this was some limitation of how GPS worked or something, especially when I had to set DST on and off in my former BMW as well. ...but, FWIW, and amazingly enough to me, my 2014 Mercedes-Benz figures DST out by itself and changed its clock automagically on Sunday with no action by me. I can override and take it manual if I want, but automatic worked great for me here in SoCal. Humm, Lexus, as much as I love ya, here's another little thing to catch up to the Germans with in your constant pursuit of perfection!
Old 11-05-13, 07:42 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ my 2009 mercedes did not change, in fact it does not have an auto setting on the clock.

We get a thread like this every time there is a daylight savings change

It is because some states do not follow DLS, like arizona for example.
Old 11-05-13, 08:12 PM
rx350drivr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
We get a thread like this every time there is a daylight savings change .
I searched the forum before posting and could not find previous references. Probably, I used the wrong keywords to search. Apologies if I am wasting time.

Originally Posted by RXSF
It is because some states do not follow DLS, like arizona for example.
This does not seem to be a plausible reason. After all, cell phones do this. And desktops and laptops have been doing this for as long as I can remember even before the GPS and before the Internet gained in popularity. And the Benz of BertL is capable of figuring this out!
Old 11-05-13, 10:00 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^ oh I agree completely that the Lexus should change the time, but I have lived with this system all the way back. Its counter intuitive to think something that says auto is not actually auto. The clock must come from a GPS signal...since the US is one of the few places that still uses DLS, I can understand why it is like this. Not too hard to switch the setting from on to off or vice versa.
Old 11-06-13, 09:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I turned DST off on Sunday and the clock switched to the correct time. Beats trying to turn a tiny bezel. Move to Arizona maybe
Old 11-06-13, 11:04 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by kitlz
I turned DST off on Sunday and the clock switched to the correct time. Beats trying to turn a tiny bezel. Move to Arizona maybe
Yes, I agree I can at least figure it out on my Lexus, unlike a couple clocks and this odd watch I have that is so complicated, I keep the instructions for it under in my dresser drawer so I can figure out what to do twice a year. Now, if we could just get our cars to be as smart as most PCs, Macs, and Smartphones, where a majority of people don't have to worry with it, that would be great.

...and Anita, I've tried living in Hawaii and Arizona where I didn't have to change time, which was REALLY TERRIFIC, but I'll tell you, having only those 2 States and Indianapolis (but not the rest of Indiana) that don't change time when you're in business and when you do constant conference calls that include all 3 places like I did most of my career, makes a lot of people's life very complicated -- and I'm glad I don't have to deal with that any more in my retired life.
Old 11-06-13, 11:39 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

GPS satellites send time signals in UTC. Therefore, the Nav system will not be aware of any time changes.
Of course, the Nav could reference its location and make a decision based on a geospacial data, which needs to be up to date with the locales currently observing DST. Then, there's the matter of international regions switching clocks on different dates. On top of that, governments tend to pass new laws changing those dates.
Unless vehicle goes online through a cellular network, the auto-DST implementation may get outdated real fast.
Therefore, a simple change by the vehicle operator may be more efficient.

IMHO, they could have used radio clock that broadcasts atomic clock data from Colorado, and that could trigger DST change, if DST is enabled.

Then again, this is Toyota we are talking about here. Their digital clocks have not changed in decades.
Old 11-07-13, 04:57 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
IMHO, they could have used radio clock that broadcasts atomic clock data from Colorado, and that could trigger DST change, if DST is enabled.
Totally agree! If the Chinese can put a cheapo atomic clock mechanism in a $25 wall clock, why can't Lexus put one in their cars. I suppose not enough owners have complained about it.
Old 11-07-13, 06:02 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ridiculous question: How do I actually change the time on the damn clock?

We just picked up 2010 RX350 and I haven't had time to read the novel, I mean manual for this thing yet.

TIA!
Shawn
Old 11-07-13, 06:47 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by ShawnD
Ridiculous question: How do I actually change the time on the damn clock?

We just picked up 2010 RX350 and I haven't had time to read the novel, I mean manual for this thing yet.

TIA!
Shawn
Congrats on your new-to-you RX.

...to help wet your appetite reading that novel, take a peek at pg344 HERE for your answer.

Quick Reply: PDT [EDT/CDT] to PST [EST/CST] auto switch by clock