RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

locking doors while walking away with fob in pocket

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 09:37 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quick..or not so quick question.
What do you guys do when stepping out to get some milk or candy from the gas station? ( 3-4 minute trip)
Do you leave the engine running? or just the radio?

Anyway, i turn everything OFF.

Now here's the scenario.

You have the key FOB inside your pocket/ purse AND you have people inside the car ( wife/GF/ husband).

1.with the proposed setting of AUTO locking the doors when the key FOB is a few feet away, that means you'll be locking everyone and activating the alarm... (which will be triggered once anyone tries to open their door and cause undue panic.)
OR
2.take the key FOB out and leave it with your partner so that it won't be activated as you step away for a few minutes. ( cumbersome if you ask me)
OR
3. Keep the engine running, leave the vehicle and let the warning sound/beep ( key not detected in the vehicle) go ON Forever. ( everyone will be annoyed waiting for you)

Now, i understand why this feature will work for a Corvette, whose passenger is MOSTLY the driver VS a Crossover that normally hauls a FAMILY around.

Last edited by markrivers; 10-29-13 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-29-13, 10:23 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr72
I too appreciate the folding mirror feature on our 2010.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Me too, lol...
Old 10-29-13, 10:53 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
'13 's have a button at the back to the right of the lift handle to lock so you don't have to find a side handle...
I've got an 11 450, but definitely good to know. I guess enough people complained.

Originally Posted by markrivers
Quick..or not so quick question.
What do you guys do when stepping out to get some milk or candy from the gas station? ( 3-4 minute trip)
Do you leave the engine running? or just the radio?

Anyway, i turn everything OFF.

Now here's the scenario.

You have the key FOB inside your pocket/ purse AND you have people inside the car ( wife/GF/ husband).

1.with the proposed setting of AUTO locking the doors when the key FOB is a few feet away, that means you'll be locking everyone and activating the alarm... (which will be triggered once anyone tries to open their door and cause undue panic.)
OR
2.take the key FOB out and leave it with your partner so that it won't be activated as you step away for a few minutes. ( cumbersome if you ask me)
OR
3. Keep the engine running, leave the vehicle and let the warning sound/beep ( key not detected in the vehicle) go ON Forever. ( everyone will be annoyed waiting for you)

Now, i understand why this feature will work for a Corvette, whose passenger is MOSTLY the driver VS a Crossover that normally hauls a FAMILY around.
I've never knew it continuously beeps if FOB is not in the car. I turn off and leave radio on (Power once) so she can listen to the radio or roll down the windows. She has never complained.

But she's also been trained. Once I take the key out of the GS (2001 GS430) and open the door, the alarm sets and everyone is locked in. Same when pumping gas or stopping at a rest stop. I like it, cause my rule is, if the driver (ME) is ready to go, then EVERYBODY should be ready to go or risk getting left ('accidently' of course)
Old 10-29-13, 12:17 PM
drich2905
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the comments guys and seeing my point. In addition to the vette and the RX I also own an LX470 and old GMC. Obviously they all work differently in regards to the locking mechanisms but day in and day out I appreciate the convenience of walking away with the fob and the vehicle locking with or without the horn/lights thingy.
I am far from lazy but feel this would a great option to the RX.
So, maybe Lexus will add our locking suggestion in the future.
Old 10-29-13, 01:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I wouldn't call it lazy, it's just car companies set up features differently. Being able to keep the key fob safely tucked away and just swipe the door handle or press the button on the tailgate to lock up has been great for me. The only time I take out the key fob is when I wash the RXh and remote start. It's one of those convenient features I really appreciate having compared to previous gen RXs.

The key not detected beeps three times in my RXh. It doesn't go on forever. I'm not sure if Lexus changed that. I won't leave it running unattended. It's just not worth taking the chance.