RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Paint swirls after washing

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 12:42 AM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint swirls after washing

I was reading the thread here --> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-rx-issue.html

And wondering if the issue of paint swirls cropping up after washing is peculiar only to Obsidian color. Is it also an issue with Claret Mica (dark brownish-red color) which is what I have? I just bought the car a few weeks back and have not yet washed it. So I want to find out the do's and dont's before a wash next weekend.
Old 10-15-13, 03:23 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elba123
I was reading the thread here --> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-rx-issue.html

And wondering if the issue of paint swirls cropping up after washing is peculiar only to Obsidian color. Is it also an issue with Claret Mica (dark brownish-red color) which is what I have? I just bought the car a few weeks back and have not yet washed it. So I want to find out the do's and dont's before a wash next weekend.
My car is garnet, which I think is very close to what is called claret in the US. Despite very careful washing there are some swirl marks, which I find disappointing. I think Lexus paint in general is less robust than the Europeans (my 7 year old Benz has barely a mark on it). There are lots of good threads in the Automotive Care & Detailing forum on this site.
Old 10-15-13, 03:40 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

elba123, we have an entire forum dedicated to Automotive Care and Detailing. I'd suggest you search there for suggestions from our resident experts. There are also detailing websites like Autopia and Meguiars, to name a few. I like Detailed Image's detailing guide with their step by step instructions and product recommendations. And remember, CL vendors will answer any questions you have, and give us discounts too : D
Old 10-15-13, 08:46 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Swirls are gonna show up on any color. Its not just darker colors. Lighter colors hide the swirls marks better then darker colors, thus making it seem like lighter colors dont get swirl marks.
Old 10-15-13, 09:00 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Firstly, it is correct that Lexus paint is softer than German paints. However, this can be a good or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. As for older cars, they have even more durable paint as they contain lead, which is no longer allowed.

Bad - Marks more easily
Good - Much much easier to correct and a less abrasive polish is needed.

Also, swirls are NOT completely caused by washing technique! Its is a VERY common misconception that washing is the ONLY thing that causes swirls on your paint! Swirls can be caused naturally by dust, even by just driving on a normal road simply by small particles in the air. Anything touching the paint WILL cause swirls. Its only natural.
Old 10-15-13, 06:19 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I've used a "Hair" brush for many years and it lifts the dirt off without swirls.
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/bohaw...FQkSMwodQQsAXQ
Might give it a try.........
Old 10-16-13, 08:27 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I avoid commercial car washes. I have three cars and last time I washed all three in one morning and wax one car in the afternoon. Next day I do the wax on the remaining two. I do this very infrequent though.
Old 10-17-13, 06:02 AM
heisnuts
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.adamspolishes.com has forums and videos all dedicated to achieving and maintaining a swirl free finish. I always use their 2 bucket wash method and have been able to keep the finish swirl free in my nebula gray pearl paint.
Old 10-31-13, 01:21 AM
rx350drivr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
www.adamspolishes.com has forums and videos all dedicated to achieving and maintaining a swirl free finish. I always use their 2 bucket wash method and have been able to keep the finish swirl free in my nebula gray pearl paint.
I went through their videos which have sufficient detail with good examples. I am now wondering whether I need so many products to clean the clear-coat wheels and remove the brake dust. I have ordered the lug nut brush and the boars-hair wheel brush. Before ordering the various cleaners for the wheels, I thought I would check with you guys what cleaners or polishes you use for the wheels. Will the same Adam's car wash shampoo and detailing spray not work for the wheels?

Last edited by rx350drivr; 10-31-13 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-31-13, 03:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

rx350drivr, I have to again direct you to the automotive care and detailing forum. You will find everything you need over there. Do a search within the forum.