ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   12th speaker - curiosity question (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/713571-12th-speaker-curiosity-question.html)

ownerrx350 10-15-13 12:04 AM

12th speaker - curiosity question

According to the window sticker, my RX350 has a "Lexus 12-speaker Premium Sound System".

I can see 3 speakers in each of the front doors, 2 speakers in each of the rear doors and one speaker on the driver side of the SUV in the cargo area. I was surprised to see there is no speaker symmetrical to the 11th one in the cargo area. Instead, there is a first aid kit strapped with velcro opposite to the 11th speaker in the cargo area.

So I am curious where is the 12th speaker located?

ddhleigh 10-15-13 12:49 AM

Isn't it on the front dash center?

BertL 10-15-13 05:00 AM

See if THIS POST of mine from data I researched on TIS early last year answers your question.

Sevn86 10-15-13 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ddhleigh (Post 8188235)
Isn't it on the front dash center?

i thought that was for the nav?

BertL 10-15-13 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sevn86 (Post 8188751)

Nope... not according to TIS. Click the link in my previous post. Answers are revealed there. ;)

ownerrx350 10-15-13 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BertL (Post 8188340)
See if THIS POST of mine from data I researched on TIS early last year answers your question.

Checked your URL which is very informative.

Are you referring to the recessed inset on top of the Nav screen in the dash? I checked it and I cannot feel any vibrations when I place my hand over it unlike the other speakers where I can feel vibrations when playing music.

Am I looking at the wrong place? It is impossible to verify by putting my ear to the dash and listening because of the slant of the windscreen.

07LexusGuy 10-15-13 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ownerrx350 (Post 8188935)
Checked your URL which is very informative.

Are you referring to the recessed inset on top of the Nav screen in the dash? I checked it and I cannot feel any vibrations when I place my hand over it unlike the other speakers where I can feel vibrations when playing music.

Am I looking at the wrong place? It is impossible to verify by putting my ear to the dash and listening because of the slant of the windscreen.

The center speaker may not make as much vibrations as the woofers in the doors. You may need to turn the volume a little bit higher to notice it - also turn on your SURROUND setting in the Sound menu.

You can also see its reflection on the windshield under certain lighting conditions and that will confirm there's something in there (or use a small step ladder and look through your windshield from the top).

BertL 10-15-13 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy (Post 8188975)
The center speaker may not make as much vibrations as the woofers in the doors. You may need to turn the volume a little bit higher to notice it - also turn on your SURROUND setting in the Sound menu.

You can also see its reflection on the windshield under certain lighting conditions and that will confirm there's something in there (or use a small step ladder and look through your windshield from the top).

Exactly. I was just out with a flashlight looking through my windshield in my somewhat darkened garage to confirm the speaker is under the center grille as you were also responding the same way I would have. Yes, it's there. TU.

ddhleigh 10-15-13 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sevn86 (Post 8188751)

Should have clarified even more. On top of the dash in the center. Glad you found it though.

satnav 10-16-13 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy (Post 8188975)

do the older 2010-2012 12 speaker systems include surround. I see DSP, but there is no or off option for it. It's a static window title. I know in the 13-up their is option for surround on and off. Also my audi with bose center point 5.1 had settings to adjust in DSP. I wonder if older RX is really surround and have a digital signal processing.

07LexusGuy 10-16-13 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by satnav (Post 8191293)
do the older 2010-2012 12 speaker systems include surround. I see DSP, but there is no or off option for it. It's a static window title. I know in the 13-up their is option for surround on and off. Also my audi with bose center point 5.1 had settings to adjust in DSP. I wonder if older RX is really surround and have a digital signal processing.

Oh, good catch, I based my post on my own RX; I didn't realize the surround on/off option may only apply to ML systems.