RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

LOOKING FOR: Tips/Advice on Detailing Starfire Pearl

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-14, 09:41 PM
jst17
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile LOOKING FOR: Tips/Advice on Detailing Starfire Pearl

I have a 4 year old Starfire pearl RX350. It was garage stored, and has never been detailed before. It is really hard to see any imperfection in a white pearl car unlike the Obsidian car...My questions is can/should I use the following products on it using a dual action polisher:

1. Meguiars Ultimate Compound (Meg Foam Cutting Disc/Pad)
2. Meguiars Ultimate Polish (Meg. Foam Polishing Disc/Pad)

Of course it will be prepped using high pressure wash and claying. Also will be finished off with a synthetic sealant and a Carnauba wax.

P.S. keep in mind I live in Vancouver, so the weather is very mild. kind of like Seattle weather, no snow in the winter.

Last edited by jst17; 12-20-14 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-21-14, 02:49 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you don't see any imperfections then I'd avoid a polish as it will by virtue of 'polish' remove some of the clear coat. Mine has been garaged stored and is like new as well. The clay bar cleaning and Carnuaba wax should be sufficient. If you keep it in a garage for the future you'll be in good shape.
Originally Posted by jst17
I have a 4 year old Starfire pearl RX350. It was garage stored, and has never been detailed before. It is really hard to see any imperfection in a white pearl car unlike the Obsidian car...My questions is can/should I use the following products on it using a dual action polisher:

1. Meguiars Ultimate Compound (Meg Foam Cutting Disc/Pad)
2. Meguiars Ultimate Polish (Meg. Foam Polishing Disc/Pad)

Of course it will be prepped using high pressure wash and claying. Also will be finished off with a synthetic sealant and a Carnauba wax.

P.S. keep in mind I live in Vancouver, so the weather is very mild. kind of like Seattle weather, no snow in the winter.
Old 12-21-14, 07:41 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Meguiars' web site:

How often do I need to wax or polish my car?
It depends on environmental elements your car typically endures. If your vehicle is kept garaged on a daily basis, then a polish or wax can last as long four to six months. If your car is kept outdoors under harsh conditions, then it will need to be waxed as often as once a month. As a general rule of thumb, we recommend that a light colored car be polished and waxed at least every two to three months. Dark colored cars on the other hand, will usually require more frequent and specialized attention.
Old 12-22-14, 05:40 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

After 4 years with Starfire Pearl RXs (our first was a 2010), I finally figured out what works best for me. By way of a disclaimer, I'm probably more obsessive than some, but not as bad as others. I do a full detail in the spring and fall, and wash them weekly .... except when I don't. Our cars are also garaged, but they sit outside during the day at work.

For the detail, I start with a claybar, I use a light polish (low abrasive) and a low abrasive pad (white) on a dual action polisher to simply polish the paint with no paint correction unless it's needed. This really brings out the pearl qualities that I love about the color. Then all you need is a good sealer. Because the cars are garaged, I figure the sealer will last a full 6 months, but I also take full advantage of quick detailers (between washes) and spray sealers when I wash it. I personally use Prima products. Swirl for paint correction, Finish for normal polishing, HydroMax is the sealer, Slick is the quick detailer, and Hydro is an awesome light duty sealer spray, which I really like a lot and is SO easy to use. Some people use Hydro when they wash, and don't ever use a true sealer. That said, everyone has their own opinion/preferenceabout the best products to use. A lot of folks recommend Maguiars.

Good luck, and enjoy you car! And take a look at the "Automotive Care and Detailing" section here on Club Lexus. There are a lot of people (some are professionals) that really know whet they're talking about, and are more than willing to help.