RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Updated 2014 Lexus RX Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 09:43 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Updated 2014 Lexus RX Pricing

Saw this online with MotorTrend this evening:

http://wot.motortrend.com/updated-20...#axzz2gRSGc58n
Old 09-30-13, 09:48 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Lexus pressroom released something last week.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...ty+vehicle.htm

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...+crossover.htm

only new things for both the gas and hybrid are:

New for 2014
The available Pre-Collision System now features Pre-Brake technology and forward collision warning system.
Luxury Package adds rear-seat 115v AC power outlet.
F SPORT adds rear-seat 115v AC power outlet
Exclusive Ultra White exterior color for F SPORT model
Siri Eyes Free mode
Old 10-06-13, 10:35 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

> The available Pre-Collision System now features Pre-Brake technology and forward collision warning system.

I think the Radar Adaptive Cruise option on the 13 has all this? But, I am not positive.... hard to keep track of all this...
Old 10-06-13, 12:42 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

PCS with Radar Cruise Control was and still is ordered together as a single option. I have it on my special ordered 2013. Basically, when PCS is there, the radar system is, so cruise control is updated with the ability to temporarily slow your vehicle down to match the one in front of you if it is going slower that you are (within certain speed limitations)... a wonderful feature unto itself, not just on freeways, but on a lot of the 50MPH surface streets I travel around town. PCS as it was until the 2014 was primiarly the ability for the vehicle to detect potential impact, and in-addition to what the standard safety features will do, it pretensions seat belts and makes your brakes have more immediate braking power when you hit them. I'm not sure I would have bought PCS by itself (it's one of the more pricey options) without what it provides enhancing cruise control -- the combo is till a lot of money, but I'd order it every time now that I've owned it.

The generic high-level Lexus marketing descriptions for the added 2014 PCS capability don't do a lot for me to really describe what specifically has been added to 2014 PCS. FWIW, my 2014 MBZ is simply awesome with what it's optional special ordered Distronic Plus will do (and is not as sophisticated as the new S-class) -- far more than PCS on my RX450h, e.g. In addition to pretensioning seat belts and prepping brakes in case I hit them, my MBZ will literally bring my SLK to a complete stop if it thinks I'm going to hit something, by applying the brakes even harder than I do on my own if necessary, or performing 100% of the braking action by itself. It's a lot more complicated than that, and not perfect as some may have seen with a couple UK reviews done with multiple mfgrs, but I'm finding it very interesting how Lexus is rather slow to implement many of these technologies, and tends to be several years behind what MBZ is doing on some of these safety systems. Part of that I'm sure is Lexus being even more conservative and wanting to ensure reliability in what they provide, but just the same, MBZ is also beginning to take what has always been special-ordered safety options for the few customers willing to wait and pay for the technology, and put it back into the standard base price of their vehicles. Personally I love this stuff that helps ASSIST the driver, but if it makes sense to anyone else, I have no trust in self-driving vehicles for the time being. I just don't trust the automation that far, and likely won't for many more years.
Old 10-06-13, 01:19 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

I have the PCS / Radar Adaptive Cruise option on my 13 350...and it's by far the crown jewel of safety options and long trip convenience.

The system will brake when your front safety buffer (u set to 1,2 or 3 car lengths) is breached. At times, it will provide an audible beep. IIRC, the beep occurs when the car senses a "close call" requiring driver intervention. It works remarkably well, so far, flawless, and I constantly pay attention to it. (not very trusting)

However, IIRC, when radar cruise is NOT engaged, the car will not beep or provide audible beep. Reading between the lines of this thread...it sounds like the 14 will now brake at all times to avoid a collision, i.e. even if Radar Cruise is NOT engaged.
If this is the case, a very sensible upgrade...something I wondered why the 13 would not do this... yes, Lexus seems to be 3-5 years late on everything...

can anyone confirm this?
Old 10-06-13, 01:33 PM
RXSF

the 14 version allows the car to brake itself if it detects a full front collision as long as you are traveling at around 25mph of less. This is kind of like the Volvo city safety system as there are statistics that claim a vast majority of front end collisions happen at that speed. At higher speeds, it will brake for you but not enough to prevent the accident.

In the past, the pre collision system will not brake itself at all. It will only give you an audible warning and also, if equipped with the head up display, will flash a message on the windshield. Seat belts will tighten automatically, and then right when you push on the brake pedal, it will apply full force.
Old 10-06-13, 01:49 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

RXSF, thx for response....

so on my 13Rx with HUD and PCS....
If the car senses a possible accident, it will beep, and flash something in the HUD, while the car is NOT in Radar Cruise Control mode....
Is this correct?
It's not something I want to find-out, through a test :-)
but would like to have the knowledge...
thx
Old 10-06-13, 04:39 PM
RXSF

Yeah that is my understanding. I have yet to see anything on my HUD, but I am planning on going to an empty parking lot and then erecting some sort of life sized foam column to try it out

#toomuchtime
Old 10-06-13, 04:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Yeah that is my understanding. I have yet to see anything on my HUD, but I am planning on going to an empty parking lot and then erecting some sort of life sized foam column to try it out

#toomuchtime
You need something like what they used for testing here:

http://money.cnn.com/video/pf/2013/0...ex.html?iid=GM
Old 10-06-13, 05:00 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Don't forget chest padding for when the seat belts tighten up. Then again you guys don't have to worry about protection as much as I have to, LOL! I don't recall if anything showed up in HUD the two times PCS engaged. I believe something flashed on the dash. It happened so quickly. All I care about is the fact it worked. Idiot drivers
Old 10-06-13, 05:18 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

RXSF, love ur tenacity... pls do report your findings.

My guess is, in an empty lot, with a dummy setup, (fridge box?) you can approach at high speed, fast enough whereas contact is imminent. Either steer away from the dummy (the cars computer should not comprehend u have this option) or have the dummy pulled out of your line of travel by a friend. (with a string of course

can't find any mention of audible warning on 13...

The optional Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control uses millimeter-wave radar to measure and help maintain a pre-set following distance from a vehicle traveling directly ahead. The radar sensor can detect certain obstacles in front of the car, and a PCS computer with vehicle speed, steering angle and yaw-rate inputs helps to determine whether a collision is imminent. In such a situation, PCS preemptively retracts front seat belts and pre-initializes Brake Assist so that increased braking will be applied the instant the driver depresses the pedal.
Old 10-06-13, 05:21 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Anita.... sorry to hear about your episodes...

would you say, the seat belt tightening is equal to an audible? In other words, is it obvious, or a silent operation?
Old 10-06-13, 06:10 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Dolphin
Anita.... sorry to hear about your episodes...

would you say, the seat belt tightening is equal to an audible? In other words, is it obvious, or a silent operation?
The seat belt tightening is somewhat audible because the slack is taken up literally in a second. Kind of like the whir of a recoiling cord. The first time it happened was a little startling. So was the way the brake pedal felt after stepping on it hard. The best thing to do is test it in an empty parking lot so you have the benefit of knowing how PCS works before you might need it. I hope you don't.
Old 10-06-13, 06:16 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

OK, that is good news.... seems like an obvious notification PCS has engaged, thx for sharing that.

did you have a parking lot suggestion? :-)
Old 10-06-13, 06:36 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

^ a large empty one

Glad to see the changes to PCS and minimal price increase. I go in for service next month and plan on finding out more information. It's definitely a feature I plan on getting again.

Quick Reply: Updated 2014 Lexus RX Pricing