RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Improved Stance With Wheel Spacers

Old 10-20-13, 06:19 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some excellent input above.

My perspective.... Altering anything on a well engineered car will have an effect. As the diagram demonstrates, a spacer changes the wheels center-line, (wheels center to center distance) which is surely a design criteria for the entire steering and suspension system. Of course, as with most mods, the issue comes down to a question of degree, i.e. how much are you altering the original design parameter...and will that change impact the performance modeling in terms of steering and suspension enough to be noticeable? Only the design engineers would know the answer to this, and, only after re modeling in software with the new parameters. Hence why there is a lot of trial and error on these type mods. It's very possible some car models have a large center-line spacing tolerance, while other models do NOT.

I contemplated the spacers since the day I got my 13RX. I too hate the way the wheels are buried in the wheel wells. Instead, I recently went with wider rims, which had approx. the same effect as adding 25mm spacers (except it splits the added width in both directions) However, if offers a benefit over spacers, the wheel center-line remains the same. I have noticed NO benefit in the wider stance...in my case, prob. more traction from the larger tire footprint, but no performance gains. I actually lost some cornering ability, as my new sidewalls on the Mich. HP's 20" are not as stiff as the replaced 19" Duellers. So lots to consider when doing such a mod, every detail matters! This thread should help a lot of people in the future who are considering moving the wheels outward.
Old 10-20-13, 07:56 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always increase sidewall stiffness when upgrading size. Always found this to help.
Old 10-21-13, 09:07 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

All this talk of cornering and "stance" upgrades, my biggest issue is staying comfortably in the seat. My RX can corner better than I can already. I guess I need to do more sit-ups.
Old 10-21-13, 03:48 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Droid13
All this talk of cornering and "stance" upgrades, my biggest issue is staying comfortably in the seat. My RX can corner better than I can already. I guess I need to do more sit-ups.
Poor bolstering from the seating... My FX and BMW seats hug you on the corners.
Old 10-21-13, 04:11 PM
tak06
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolphin
Some excellent input above.

My perspective.... Altering anything on a well engineered car will have an effect. As the diagram demonstrates, a spacer changes the wheels center-line, (wheels center to center distance) which is surely a design criteria for the entire steering and suspension system. Of course, as with most mods, the issue comes down to a question of degree, i.e. how much are you altering the original design parameter...and will that change impact the performance modeling in terms of steering and suspension enough to be noticeable? Only the design engineers would know the answer to this, and, only after re modeling in software with the new parameters. Hence why there is a lot of trial and error on these type mods. It's very possible some car models have a large center-line spacing tolerance, while other models do NOT.

I contemplated the spacers since the day I got my 13RX. I too hate the way the wheels are buried in the wheel wells. Instead, I recently went with wider rims, which had approx. the same effect as adding 25mm spacers (except it splits the added width in both directions) However, if offers a benefit over spacers, the wheel center-line remains the same. I have noticed NO benefit in the wider stance...in my case, prob. more traction from the larger tire footprint, but no performance gains. I actually lost some cornering ability, as my new sidewalls on the Mich. HP's 20" are not as stiff as the replaced 19" Duellers. So lots to consider when doing such a mod, every detail matters! This thread should help a lot of people in the future who are considering moving the wheels outward.
I too contemplated aftermarket wheels, which I had on a 2nd gen. RX, however, finding non OE rims with a hub size of 60.1 mm is virtually impossible which necessitates the use of hub rings and in most cases plastic ones at that. In my 2nd gen. with the plastic hub rings, any speeds above 60 mph generated noticeable vibration and I didn't want to chance that on the current RX.

Last edited by tak06; 10-21-13 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-26-13, 09:14 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm currently thinking about putting spacers on the rear of my 01' GS430. After reading many threads, this is the most INFORMATIONAL one I've found yet. I have just 1 question. Specifically to do with the "vibrations" aspect of these spacers. I see allot of members go with the ICHIBA spacers.. So to Tak06, are H&R spacers a better brand to go with then Ichiba????? I just wanna get the best brand with no problems later on. I'm not worried about saving a couple bucks. If anyone can let me know they're HONEST opinion, I'd deeply appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 11-26-13, 09:35 PM
tak06
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
I'm currently thinking about putting spacers on the rear of my 01' GS430. After reading many threads, this is the most INFORMATIONAL one I've found yet. I have just 1 question. Specifically to do with the "vibrations" aspect of these spacers. I see allot of members go with the ICHIBA spacers.. So to Tak06, are H&R spacers a better brand to go with then Ichiba????? I just wanna get the best brand with no problems later on. I'm not worried about saving a couple bucks. If anyone can let me know they're HONEST opinion, I'd deeply appreciate it. Thanks!
I've used H&R hubcentric spacers on several vehicles and have not experienced any issues
or vibrations, (http://www.trakplus.com/ )I also like the fact that these are spacers manufactured in Germany and are used on many European/domestic/Japanese vehicles.
I do not have any experience with the Ichiba's but have heard that they are quality units also, and used extensively by many, I also understand that although "ICHIBA" is a Japanese name, in fact these are manufactured in China, I have nothing against Chinese products but having said that, if I had to pick between products from those two nations, well you know....

Last edited by tak06; 11-26-13 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-25-15, 01:54 PM
LEXJG
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I fitted 20mm spacers on my 3GS but had to remove the fron ones as the vehicle Tracked to the road majorly has any one had this on the RX as I don't want to put them on if am going to get this same problem ?
Old 05-28-15, 09:33 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

I have them and they have improved handling and vehicle dynamics with no downsides. Only get H&R spacers as recommended in the posts at the start of this thread.