RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

13RX350 windshield headache

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-13, 11:08 PM
wchen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13RX350 windshield headache

I previously owned the 00 rx300 and recently got the 13 rx350. I've noticed that the 13s windshield is more slanted towards me than the 00 is. Driving the first week made me nauseous and dizzy and it was not until a week later that I got used to the change in the windshield angle... Anyone experience this?
Old 08-23-13, 11:51 PM
droopy128
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

no issue here.. maybe i don't drive it enough to notice..
Old 08-24-13, 04:48 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No problem at all with the windshields on my RX300, RX400h or RX450h. My only visual concern has been with the prescription sunglasses I wear -- they wrap around and give an odd effect in my wider-than-normal peripheral vision (according to my Optometrist) that took me ages to get over. The issue is unique to the glasses, not my Lexus windshields, as the visual oddity happens in my MBZ and other vehicles as well only with the glasses on. OP, glad you got over whatever the problem was you were having -- IIRC, you are the first to report such a concern.

BTW, Congrats on that new RX!
Old 08-24-13, 07:09 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This might not be related, but before my Lexus I felt my eyes would ache after long distance in my car. There ended up some type of substance (slight white powder when I ran my finger on the windshield) or something on the inside of the windshield that distorted my vision ever so slightly. After doing a good cleaning with some Windex I never had the problem again. Since you just got it maybe their is some very clear oil or something on the windshield that can't be seen or easily felt.
Old 08-24-13, 03:53 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I see better with my '12 RX than my Daughter's '10 Honda Civic weird huge windshield.
Old 08-25-13, 12:25 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you visit your eyes dr. For a checkup?
Old 09-29-13, 08:02 PM
JBC12C
Driver School Candidate

Yes! I have had my RX 350 for 2 Months and cannot stand the optical issues with the windshield. The windshield warble is awful. I just took it in to have them replace the windshield.
Old 10-04-13, 10:46 AM
mbrahmer
Driver School Candidate

No issues with the windshield once I got it clean.
I am having trouble getting the driver's and passenger front windows clean; they streak with something possibly on the felt.
Old 10-04-13, 11:18 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Am wondering if one were to take a clay bar to the windshield to remove any overspray or other such chemicals/waxes/sealants used during production and prep if it would help matters any.
Old 10-04-13, 11:51 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone define "warble"... thx
Old 10-04-13, 01:16 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolphin
Can someone define "warble"... thx
An attempt to describe possible imperfections in the glass. Whether it be from impurities or other problems with the glass or the film sandwiched in between, you can sometimes get a distortion effect. This can be a problem in different situations such as either in bright sunlight or at night with the glare of headlights coming at you. Some individuals also seem to be more susceptible to being affected by this distorted view. Not out of focus. Almost like an interference pattern or looking at an object through water depending on the cause.

I have seen similar issues when a wax overspray was causing a distorted field of view out the front windshield which is why I mentioned about using a clay bar on the windshield to remove any contaminants.
Old 10-04-13, 01:35 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Interesting, thx for explanation...I am very well versed in optics and human vision, but that word is new to me...

I notice my windshield is hard to keep clean... this has puzzled me, never experienced this with any other car.... seems there is always a film on it... I have every glass cleaner ever made :-)

I can relate to the visual issues with the glass though, as when my windsheild gets in some wind storms, the pitting also effects my ability to focus on the car in front of me. It seems, my brain forces focus at the specular highlights that appear as a result of sun refraction in the pits. Its really annoying to me. Sometimes I change the windshield every other year to avoid this... but, others would find this a non-issue. On the same note...I also HATE reflections of the dash that appear on the windshield...same problem, my brain wants to focus on them. The RX is not the worst in this regard, but it exist... fortunately, some very good polarized Oakleys solve this.... while at the same time, still allowing me to see the HUD. The only problem is the rear glass becomes poka dotted :-)

So I guess some of us have some visual quirks.... or visual OCD :-)
Old 10-04-13, 01:56 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

mbrahmer / Dolphin -- FWIW, a couple of things on windshield cleanliness.

-- Mbrahmer, on your side windows streaking... I suspect you inadvertently got some polish or perhaps some gasket sealer/protectant on the felt that helps seal the doors from water and such dripping down from the windows... I've done this myself when getting over zealous with polish and/or applying protectant to my seals. The only solution I've found is to keep dealing with it until whatever you accidentally got on the felt dries completely or gets worn back off. My new MBZ has the problem on one of the back side windows right now, and I knew at the time I was going to curse myself for months because of what I did. The more you move the windows up-and-down over time, the more you'll have to clean them, but every time you do, a little less will be left on the felt so your problem should diminish as time goes on.

-- Dolphin, in terms of film seeming to "come back" onto the interior windshield (and likely the other windows, but perhaps not as noticeable), my experience is this is generally caused by other products used in the vehicle that throw off something into the air that settles on the glass... Through process of elimination years ago, I found my use of AmorAll back-in-the-day on my dash was the culprit. I removed whatI could, tossed the product in the trash, and in a matter of weeks, no more film -- just normal dirt accumulation over time. I suggest you start a process of elimination and see if there is something you're using on the interior that may be causing your issue -- I suppose it could be anything like even aftermarket floor mats causing the issue. You're a detailed guy, so start your list of what it could be, and go from there.

Good luck to you both.
Old 10-04-13, 03:34 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Its the outside of the windshield, not inside....
the inside of all windshields are vulnerable to off gassing...so new cars are the worse, specially if you don't crack ur windows. As you mention, user -introduced substances can off gas as well... simple condensate can dirty the inside windshield as the wet windshield attracts dust.

I need to try a glass cleaner that cuts grime better...my go-to glass cleaner was Armor All glass cleaner...but when u have an oily windshield, well, that is the achillies heel of Armor All, not as effective. Invisible Glass spray works equally as good IMO as the Armor All... hard to find the Armor All glass cleaner. Vinegar cleaners probably cut the best, but the odor is just too much for me to stomach....