RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 06:11 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Hello all

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I picked up a 2014 RX 350 in late November.

I felt compelled to post my experience here, because there was only one issue with our brand new RX that prevented us from calling it perfect: a ticking/rattle from the passenger side B-pillar area. This was especially prevalent when driving over uneven roads (plenty of those here in PA!).

Our local dealer was excellent about addressing the issue. The shop foreman rode with me to hear the sound and a Lexus field tech was brought in to assist. It was indeed the "D-clip" from the front passenger door that needed to be soundproofed and adjusted. No more rattle now!

If needed, I can post the exact verbiage from the R.O. here for all to see. I still find it unacceptable that a new Lexus that was roadtested for 10 miles passed inspection with a tick/rattle like this.
Old 01-11-14, 07:59 AM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the 'D clip' the one that I posted in the pic? If so, it does sound like the same issue. It will be helpful for other members to post the verbiage on your papework.

Oh yes it is disappointing to have this kind of issue on a 50K piece of equipment, just have to deal with it.

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
If needed, I can post the exact verbiage from the R.O. here for all to see. I still find it unacceptable that a new Lexus that was roadtested for 10 miles passed inspection with a tick/rattle like this.
Old 01-11-14, 10:57 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wilchan
Is the 'D clip' the one that I posted in the pic? If so, it does sound like the same issue. It will be helpful for other members to post the verbiage on your papework.

Yes, I think we are talking about the same part. From my papers:

...TECH CONTACTED TAS AND OPENED CASE #133430464. PER TAS TECH INSULATED DOOR STRIKER ADJUSTMENT NUTS WITH NOISE SUPPRESSION MATERIAL. TECH FOUND NOISE TO BE REDUCED. TECH APPLIED NOISE SUPPRESSION MATERIAL TO PARTS OF "B" PILLAR TRIM AND STRIKER ASSY COVER...
Old 01-13-14, 06:40 PM
TorontoRX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my 2010 ultra premium II with a brand new 2013 same model RX. So far, knock on wood, and with only 1,400 kms on the odo there are no rattling sounds yet.

We picked up the car in late Nov so it's only been cold weather. At what odometer reading did you folks notice the rattling?

Great thread and sorry to hear about the headaches. Hopefully, issues are all resolved now.
Old 01-14-14, 09:20 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TorontoRX
At what odometer reading did you folks notice the rattling?
11 miles.

{obligatory extra characters added on this line}
Old 01-14-14, 10:17 AM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ticking on mine became so audible after 6 months (~5k miles) or so even on not so rough pavement.
Old 01-24-14, 04:50 AM
Hallettoil
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350H Rattle

Originally Posted by onlyFacts
We own a 2013 RX 350, purchased less than a year ago. We are experiencing this rattling noise coming from inside the side panels, its frequency changes depending on road and weather conditions like if road is rough or if its windy. We have taken the vehicle to Lexus Service three times so far for the same issue, they have acknowledged the issue. Last service took almost a month but still no remedy.

What I am interested to find out is if anyone else has experienced something similar? As of last service, Lexus took the entire roof liner down to fix the issue but it came back after one day post service.

Noise is extremely irritating because it occurs next to driver's left ear and is annoying as anything can be. Same goes for right ear for the front passenger.

We have owned Nissan Maxima, BMW and Lexus before and none of the vehicles had this issue.

Please do let us know, thanks.
Hi

We have a longstanding rattle also and Lexus have never identified it whilst under warranty. It too appears in the Drivers (RHD) left ear...so I rolled up my sleeves and investigated. The culpit/culprits are the rear seats where the swab joins the frame. As the seat has to tilt, it has a bar into the frame (sort of hinge) and the bar does not enjoy a close tolerance so it rattles. I find that this very small "gap" is multiplied by the height of the seat and thus if you hear it rattle and immediately look in the mirror...you will see the seat moving from side to side. A simple cure...get someone to sit in the seat and drive round the block...if it's cured..that's the culprit.
BUT...don't waste you time talking to Lexus...they will not cure it as it's a design fault...I looked at a showroom brand new model...and THAT rattled!!!

It's a simple design fault and easily cures...however, what can WE do to cure it. At the moment, I have tried cable ties round the offending parts (don't forget it has to "hinge") and it has made a huge difference but the full cure is still not achieved. A heavier cable tie is both sides and then another cable tie round the centre of the first ties to pull then really tight. Not got round to it yet, but watch this space.

Good Luck

Richard
Old 02-01-14, 11:23 AM
daskin12
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I had same noise problem as you. The noise came from the pedals and it sound like something is burning noise . Guys try it press your brake pedal and you will hear if. Their mechanic and service advisors said this problem existed but not gonna fix it. Or need more peoples to complain it.
Old 03-27-14, 06:39 PM
4speed
Driver School Candidate

I haven't read through all 5 pages of posts, but here is my rattle fix. I bought a 2011 RX 350 4 months age. It has had this rattle in the interior that occurred on rough roads. It was hard to isolate where the rattle came from. My best guess was the rear seats or the sun roof. I was getting ready to start pulling out the rear seats to find the rattle and I bumped the flap that attaches to the lift gate and aligns with the cargo cover. One end of the flap was loose. This flap snaps on and off. I snapped the flap back on and no rattle.
Old 03-31-14, 11:27 AM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

Guys,
The noise still comes now and then, it is not related to back seats or something loose around the luggage area cover hinges on both corners. When I originally posted this issue, Lexus failed to fix or even identify the exact cause, they tried their best though. At the moment, I am in a waiting period basically to reproduce the noise for at least one full week before going back to Lexus of Cherry Hill. They have been extremely helpful and have told me to come in anytime i hear the noise [which I can't reproduce at the moment regularly]. It comes on smooth or bumpy road, windy days, extremely hard to make it happen basically.

I will let you guys know if anything concrete happens as far as the fix goes, thanks for everyone's inputs, they are all very valid and helpful, thanks.
Old 04-02-14, 01:08 PM
kayakdude
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattle

I've been experiencing an imperceptible rattle that sounds like it could be the interior paneling around the back seat/luggage area. When I sit in the back seat in seems to disappear, which lends me to think that the seat is just loose enough to cause it, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-02-14, 04:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by kayakdude
I've been experiencing an imperceptible rattle that sounds like it could be the interior paneling around the back seat/luggage area. When I sit in the back seat in seems to disappear, which lends me to think that the seat is just loose enough to cause it, but I'm not sure.
Yeah a few of us have the rear seat rattle unfortunately. When passengers sit, not a peep. Search the forum for some workarounds but none are true fixes, like one is stuffing towels behind the seat in the space to help secure he backside of the seat more. I have yet to bring it to Lexus and see what they say.

As for the door panels, I tend to agree it's temperature related and I suspect the plastic clips and other contact points need felt.
Old 04-04-14, 06:21 AM
rparian636
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattle noise in door panel

I have the same noise in my door panel on the drivers side. It goes away once the car is warmed up.
If I bring it to the dealer, the car is warmed up and not there. UGH! they want to keep it overnight and test it cold in the morning. This is just to much effort to deal with it since it goes away once the car has warmed up. My guess is that cold plastic parts stiffen and rub against each other.
Old 04-07-14, 09:49 AM
kayakdude
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattle

I've stopped on numerous occasions when I heard the rattle and had my wife drive. After I get in the back seat the rattle stops, but I don't think it's the seat. I had a new 87 Honda Accord that developed a noise like this and it turned out to be a flawed body weld.
Old 04-07-14, 11:10 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rparian636
I have the same noise in my door panel on the drivers side. It goes away once the car is warmed up.
If I bring it to the dealer, the car is warmed up and not there. UGH! they want to keep it overnight and test it cold in the morning. This is just to much effort to deal with it since it goes away once the car has warmed up. My guess is that cold plastic parts stiffen and rub against each other.
Originally Posted by kayakdude
I've stopped on numerous occasions when I heard the rattle and had my wife drive. After I get in the back seat the rattle stops, but I don't think it's the seat. I had a new 87 Honda Accord that developed a noise like this and it turned out to be a flawed body weld.
I disassembled the B-pillar and both front and rear doors and took a video. Ticking sound is there and I've concluded it's a weld/glue issue. I've completely eliminated the noise by adding rubberized asphalt and expanding foam in the b-pillar. Also tightened door panels added fabric tape on the door clips to reduce door panel squeaks. Car rides even a little quieter now.

See video and DIY here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-squeaks.html

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-07-14 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350