RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 09:45 AM
seanlin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
I just picked up a 2011 450h on Friday and took a road trip up to Boston this past Sat. In hour 3 of the trip while the temp was hovering at 97 or so and the A/C was on, I started to hear 'tapping' noises. Turned the radio down and sure enough, it sounded like it was coming from the passenger door area. However, my wife was insistent that it was coming from behind the glove compartment.

It only lasted about two minutes and didn't come back within the last hour or the trip (when it got even warmer) nor did it duplicate itself during ride back when it was considerably cooler. Will keep an ear out for it to see if and when it comes back and under what conditions.
For the passenger side rattle noise, I had the same noise in my car before. I removed car manuals and reduced the weight in the glove storage. And the noise has been gone since. You can give it a try.
Old 07-23-13, 11:26 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an interesting discovery. I will test that to see if mine has the same behavior.

Originally Posted by onlyFacts
On my recent trip, instead of concentrating on side seat belt assembly area, I focused on the moon roof / roof handle area above the driver side door. Here is what I found out [still want someone else to confirm], when I was hearing the noise while driving, I pressed the area around the roof handle above door and noise stopped [miracle]. It came back soon but now I think it is something in the roof and not the sides. Need to keep on trying to figure this one out.
Old 07-27-13, 07:26 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Has anyone found anything new fix?

Last edited by seanlin; 07-27-13 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-27-13, 10:47 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Not from my side.

I tried to press the ceiling headliner area around the handle and the handle itself on the driver side and rattle is still there.
Old 07-30-13, 07:39 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by wilchan
Not from my side.

I tried to press the ceiling headliner area around the handle and the handle itself on the driver side and rattle is still there.

It seem like it is the roof handle. I tried to pull the handle while driving for a little bit while. No noise.
Old 08-01-13, 08:53 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Another observation from mine is that I could not hear any rattle when I sit in the left rear passenger seat. In my case, it seems that rattle really comes from B-pillar and is next to the driver's ear.

I wonder if it is easy to take of the B-pillar cover.
Old 08-07-13, 05:40 PM
Doney01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took off the drivers side Oh-s#1t handle and added some felt tape to the spring loaded clip contact points and seams to have relieved some of the last few annoying noises that still exist in my 450h...

Looks like Lexus chooses to use this spring type clip instead of actual screws to mount the handle probably to act as a break-away feature in case some fatty pulls too hard..

Will look into doing the other 3 handles at some other time but so far so god...

You can remove the handle by taking a flat tipped screw driver and gently pry off the covers on both sides(you can see a slotted section on each side of the covers once you pull down on the handle) and once off, pulled out the clips...
Attached Thumbnails Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350-image-2044383542.jpg   Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350-image-3328706056.jpg   Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350-image-3362217038.jpg   Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350-image-1127640798.jpg  
Old 08-07-13, 10:03 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Thanks for the finding.
This handle makes a lots of pop sound noise.
Since I dont use driver side handle at all. I am wondering if I can just remove it. Is there a big hole there if I remove the handle completely?
Old 08-08-13, 12:19 AM
Doney01
Driver School Candidate

Yes, two square cut-outs in the headliner. Leave it alone if your not willing to do it right.
Old 08-08-13, 10:48 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doney01
did greasing the rubber door stopper alleiviate the creeking and ticking noise on your drivers side? I have tried, but mine still creeks and makes an annoying ticking sound
Old 08-08-13, 11:19 AM
Doney01
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that creaking sound was the loudest noise in my RX but once that was taken care of, I've noticed other minor noises/popping sounds were also present... Still trying to get rid of all of them although I realize I'm knit picking at this point because it really is minor at this point.

I suggest removing the door stopper temporarily to confirm if that is indeed the source of the creaking sound in your case... That's what gave it away in my case...
Old 11-17-13, 12:22 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Just took the car in for 10K service to Fremont Lexus and they said they insulated some spring in seat belt adjustor, but rattle is still there. Took the car in for the 2nd time and they said they couldn't reproduce it. I guess they just don't want to spend time on it.

Just wondering how hard is it to pull the b-pillar cover off? I feel dealer just won't care about it.
Old 11-18-13, 01:06 PM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

Thanks @Doney01 for the instructions. I will definitely share with the body shop head at Cherry Hill Lexus on my next service trip.

@wilchan, sorry to hear that your issue is still not resolved. Do not remove anything on your own, you don't want the dealership to void your warranty if you end up damaging your vehicle further.

I myself have basically given up on the issue. I went to Cherry Hill Lexus in NJ and they were extremely nice, the head of the body shop department spent a fair half an hour with me, we drove around for quite a while on all types of roads. Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce the noise that day. I can still hear the noise now and then but I have basically started to live with it After all how many times can one try to fix an issue. I just hope that Doney01's tips help in getting the issue resolved once and for all, good luck!
Old 11-20-13, 08:21 AM
nmnunna32
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattling noise from dash

I observed rattling noise from dash for last 2-months, since I owned my 2010 RX 350. It has been driving me crazy.

1) it is intermittent
2) outside temp dependent
3) it occurs after 5 minutes of starting/driving the car
4) more prominent when I hit bumps
5) It goes away, generally after about 20 minutes of driving

Then I thought about fan blower which doesn't turn on at high speed right away. I put my climate control in AUTO. So, I suspected some bearings in blower motor which only shows up when the blower goes to MED/HIGH depending on the demand from thermostat.

This morning after started hearing the rattle, I turned off the FAN completely (pushed OFF several times). And it appears that the rattle went away. Needless to say, more observation is required.

So, I am thinking, if this fan blower theory is correct, then for some people it could show up on lower speeds of blower as well. I was told once by Toyota (I owned a Sienna before) tech that even if you turn off FAN control, the blower will still constantly run at very low speed. So, if your rattle situation is worse than mine and if the root cause is blower motor, then you could very well hear it all the time.

My 2 cents on this nasty rattle on a luxury vehicle which so many people complain but Lexus doesn't do any thing about it.
Old 11-20-13, 09:52 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by nmnunna32
This morning after started hearing the rattle, I turned off the FAN completely (pushed OFF several times). And it appears that the rattle went away. Needless to say, more observation is required.
Have you cleaned out your cabin filter? Long shot, but perhaps a twig or stone or two got in there and the fan is blowing them around, which sounds throughout your ventilation system.

Quick Reply: Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350