RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Had a 2013 RX350 for a loaner while my '13 GS was in the shop...my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 01:26 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
What year is their Grand Cherokee? If its older than 2011 which is the current generation I can understand that. I never would have bought a GC until this latest WK2 generation. In the current Jeep the room in the rear is fine for 2 or three adults, headroom is fine, seats recline and are comfortable. We've taken road trips with 4 and 5 people and all are fine. Issue is the space between the seat and the back of the seat in front would make it impossible to install a rear facing child seat level without moving the front seat up to where the person in front would be uncomfortable. To Jeep's credit most vehicles are that way, in the RX it would be fine, but at the cost of cargo space, the cargo area is probably 6-8 inches shallower in the RX than the Jeep. The Jeep cruises down the highway beautifully at 80, velvety smooth and quiet. .
It's either an '11 or '12. They've had it for two and half years now and will probably turn it in soon. It's a lease. I'm glad about that after reading about all the problems you've had with yours. I've only had a forward facing child seat in the RX once behind the driver seat. I can't say I was comfortable since I normally keep my seat almost all the way back. It might have been better with a rear facing child seat, I don't know. Someone else will have to tell you. I don't like how high the cargo area is in the GC compared to the RX. Puppy has to use a ramp to get in. He doesn't like it at all. Same with the seats. They're higher too. That's been probably one of the biggest appeals of the RX, the ability to get in and out easily.

Again depends on the year. I did not feel the 2013 RX I had rode better than our Jeep. The Jeep rides very, very well. Its very smooth and quiet, its a little truckier feeling than the RX which is appealing IMHO. I would say the RX rides as good as the Jeep. Bear in mind that at the RX price point the Jeep would have Quadra Lift which is their adjustable air suspension and the ride would be better than ours. Previous Grand Cherokees rode like crap..
The ride on the GC is ok. I don't think the huge ground clearance helps. I haven't really paid attention to it in curves. I had air suspension on the RX330. It was part of the performance package, their 'sportier version.' It didn't do anything.

The only reason I would choose an RX over our Jeep, or especially a Jeep trim costing what the RX costs (you could get a Summit model for that money which is way more vehicle than the RX IMHO , leather dash, nappa leather seats, alcantara headliner, radar cruise and PCS, quadra lift, better power, better drivetrain, way more capability offroad and in bad weather. ) is reliability and the Lexus dealer experience. Chrysler is just not there yet, I hope they will be someday because the quality and execution of the product is excellent otherwise..
I have to agree with you there. Don't like the plastic in the GC. All the extras wouldn't make up for it.

Even with the issues I've had I would probably try another GC before i gave up on them, I like the vehicle that much. Its my wife's primary drive and she's done because of the little issues.
You sound like my father, LOL! I wouldn't call them little issues. I'm on her side

This is what I don't understand...why? The rear seats stow to a flat load floor when you don't need them. I can understand not caring about a third row, 95% of the time we don't either, but I don't understand being an "unhappy camper" if its there or is an option.
I don't want a Lexus bus. 99.98% of the time it's just me. Plus there wouldn't be a place to put the spare if the third row stowed under the floor.
Old 07-02-13, 01:46 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've read several reviews of the new MDX and they have all been favorable. It's sounding they've done a good job with the new model.
Did they finally install keyless start and button free dor entry?!?
Old 07-02-13, 01:49 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie1600
The '13 RDX has it.The MDX must have it.
Old 07-02-13, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I've only had a forward facing child seat in the RX once behind the driver seat. I can't say I was comfortable since I normally keep my seat almost all the way back. It might have been better with a rear facing child seat, I don't know.
I think you've got your forward and rearwards mixed up, a forward facing car seat where the child sits looking towards the front will fit in most any car, its the rearward facing seat where the child looks towards the rear thats the issue.

I don't like how high the cargo area is in the GC compared to the RX. Puppy has to use a ramp to get in. He doesn't like it at all. Same with the seats. They're higher too. That's been probably one of the biggest appeals of the RX, the ability to get in and out easily.
Yeah the GC is high, its a tradeoff, its that high stance that makes it so capable offroad and in deep snow. We don't really utilize those benefits much so I'd rather have the lower step in.

The ride on the GC is ok
Its more than okay, I would say actually that outside of the LS's, the GC has the best highway ride of any vehicle I have ever owned. Its very planted (partly because its so heavy), very stable, and very smooth and quiet. In curves its an SUV and it lumbers, but driving down a highway at 80 MPH there aren't many vehicles I'd rather be in than the GC.

I have to agree with you there. Don't like the plastic in the GC. All the extras wouldn't make up for it.
Quite frankly there just is not one material in the RX that is higher quality than whats in the my almost base model Jeep, several materials its the opposite, and certainly when you look at an Overland or Summit the interior is a significant upgrade from the RX.

I know you're an RX fan, but we have to give credit where credit is due. The JGC has a great interior, which is why its won Ward's 10 best, etc and a myriad of other awards for interior design and execution. The RX never has.

Now, none of that makes up for a bunch of freaking switches that keep failing...but its a really nice vehicle otherwise which is what makes it all the more frustrating.

You sound like my father, LOL! I wouldn't call them little issues. I'm on her side
LOL, they are little issues, but its the fact that there are a bunch of them that adds up. I went into this knowing it would not be as reliable as what we're used to, but I didn't expect it to be this bad! Forgot one...the steering rack was replaced under warranty as well because of a leak.

I liken your Dad's and my reaction to people who love their quirky German cars despite their issues I never really understood that before, but I kinda do now.

I don't want a Lexus bus. 99.98% of the time it's just me. Plus there wouldn't be a place to put the spare if the third row stowed under the floor.
The new MDX has the spare under the rear floor, and it has a storage space on top of that, AND a third row seat all while feeling smaller and nimbler than the RX. I agree, you don't want it to feel like a bus (the JX35 kind of feels buslike), but it doesn't have to feel like a bus to accomodate a third row. I'm a fan of flexibility...

Originally Posted by cossie1600
Yep, it finally has keyless entry and start.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-02-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-02-13, 03:19 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Minuses:
-Standard audio was several notches below the standard audio on my GS, but that can always be dealt with by getting the ML.
I agreed with this the most your list! I was really wondering why it was so bad with XM and BT streaming. It was fine with CD and FM not ML clear but you get what I am saying clearer that the XM and BT.
Old 07-02-13, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I use the BT streaming in the GS all the time and the quality is great, it was flat and lifeless in the RX...didnt try a CD. In fact I don't think I've ever played a CD in the GS...
Old 07-02-13, 06:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I think you've got your forward and rearwards mixed up, a forward facing car seat where the child sits looking towards the front will fit in most any car, its the rearward facing seat where the child looks towards the rear thats the issue.
My seat was pretty far forward because I was trying to avoid having the back of my seat kicked, LOL! I'm sure rear facing shouldn't be a problem. I do know the difference between the two.

Its more than okay, I would say actually that outside of the LS's, the GC has the best highway ride of any vehicle I have ever owned. Its very planted (partly because its so heavy), very stable, and very smooth and quiet. In curves its an SUV and it lumbers, but driving down a highway at 80 MPH there aren't many vehicles I'd rather be in than the GC.
Didn't mean to offend. When I said the ride was OK, this was from the back seat where there's more feedback from the road and bumps. And less flexibility with regards to seating position. I'm sure the GC kicks butt in the snow. And it's perfect for off roading with its stance, something the RX isn't known for. It's certainly not recommended. How much does the GC weigh?

Quite frankly there just is not one material in the RX that is higher quality than whats in the my almost base model Jeep, several materials its the opposite, and certainly when you look at an Overland or Summit the interior is a significant upgrade from the RX.
Never seen the Overland or Summit up close so I can't comment.

I know you're an RX fan, but we have to give credit where credit is due. The JGC has a great interior, which is why its won Ward's 10 best, etc and a myriad of other awards for interior design and execution. The RX never has.
The RX is credited with creating the LUV class. It's been a standard other car companies have strived to match for years. Plus it's been top rated for reliability. Looks on the other hand can be subjective. I do like the nav system in the GC. It shows road speed and altitude. Nice. The surfaces seem more durable. The plastic trim, not so much. It just takes away from the rest of the interior IMO.

Now, none of that makes up for a bunch of freaking switches that keep failing...but its a really nice vehicle otherwise which is what makes it all the more frustrating.
Been there, done that with the Ford Explorer lemon I had. It was a heck of a lot more than a bunch of broken switches. I wanted to like the vehicle, I really did. But I guess I wasn't meant to be. No complaints though since it got me into Lexus.

LOL, they are little issues, but its the fact that there are a bunch of them that adds up. I went into this knowing it would not be as reliable as what we're used to, but I didn't expect it to be this bad! Forgot one...the steering rack was replaced under warranty as well because of a leak.

I liken your Dad's and my reaction to people who love their quirky German cars despite their issues I never really understood that before, but I kinda do now.
Most people I know with German cars don't experience too many problems. Lexus just has me spoiled with no problems.

The new MDX has the spare under the rear floor, and it has a storage space on top of that, AND a third row seat all while feeling smaller and nimbler than the RX. I agree, you don't want it to feel like a bus (the JX35 kind of feels buslike), but it doesn't have to feel like a bus to accomodate a third row. I'm a fan of flexibility...
And I think the RX is perfect the way it is without a third row.

Truce
Old 07-02-13, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My seat was pretty far forward because I was trying to avoid having the back of my seat kicked, LOL! I'm sure rear facing shouldn't be a problem. I do know the difference between the two.
Ah, I understand now. Yeah the kicking is something I'm not looking forward to down the line.

Didn't mean to offend. When I said the ride was OK, this was from the back seat where there's more feedback from the road and bumps...How much does the GC weigh?
No offense taken. You really should drive it, if only for giggles.

Curb weight is like 4,700 and gross vehicle weight is like 6600.

Never seen the Overland or Summit up close so I can't comment.
Very nice, the Overland has real wood trim and napa leather, wood leather wheel, leather dash and door panels. The 2014 Summit has an alcantara headliner and pillars which makes it feel very upscale inside.

The RX is credited with creating the LUV class. It's been a standard other car companies have strived to match for years.
No question there...

The plastic trim, not so much. It just takes away from the rest of the interior IMO.
Which plastic trim do you mean? The silver trim around the vents and on the console?

And I think the RX is perfect the way it is without a third row.

Truce
BUT, if it had a third row I'd probably have one too

I personally think its inevitable that the next RX will have a third row option to better compete with the JX, MDX, etc. Bear in mind the MDX gives you the flexibility of a third row without compromising cargo or second row comfort and while only being about 5 inches longer...

These vehicles are all about the day to day conveniences, and it seems that the segment is moving towards 3 rows vs 2. I bet Lexus follows suit.

No truce necessary! All in good fun.
Old 07-02-13, 08:36 PM
velopod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you. When we were looking for this size SUV for my wife (RX for her of course, I like to drive ...) we were both VERY surprised how nice the interior of the Grand Cherokee Overland was! MUCH nicer than the RX and the "ride" was extremely planted and quiet. I was quite impressed. After living with the RX for a while now, we are mostly happy with our decision except for the Lexus "tech" which is surprisingly WAY behind the Jeep (go figure there).

We ended up with the RX of course, but I would have been equally happy with the Overland/Summit, but she had her heart set on the RX after considering everything.
Old 07-03-13, 08:19 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

All this talk about GC reminds me of this video:
Old 07-03-13, 09:02 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Steve, I'm glad you saw it as light hearted banter. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to other cars, with a few exceptions Wow, the GC is heavy. That's about the same as my RXh. I will take the GC out for a drive, maybe even open up the panoramic roof. That's one thing Lexus should bring back. The only problem, power liftgate is not available on the GC with that option. At least it has Michelins so that should make the ride fun. I'll report back on my thoughts

Oh, the plastic trim I was referring to is the fake looking wood around the cabin. I think it's on the dash and doors. I'm not a big fan of wood overall so I'd rather see aluminum or nothing at all. I do like the GS F-Sport interior. That's one car I've had a soft spot for. How are you enjoying yours? The RX would look great next to it, LOL!
Old 07-03-13, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ericsan13
All this talk about GC reminds me of this video:
Jeep Grand Cherokee moose test -- the full story - YouTube
Somehow only those testers were able to make the vehicle do that. I've put 30,000 miles on it in all kinds of conditions, loaded down, highways and country roads and I am 100% confident that it is a stable, safe vehicle.

However, I am not 100% confident the windows will roll down when I push the switch

Steve, I'm glad you saw it as light hearted banter.
Absolutely, its these exchanges between car fans that make forums like this fun IMHO. As long as everybody respects each other all is well.

I will take the GC out for a drive, maybe even open up the panoramic roof. That's one thing Lexus should bring back. The only problem, power liftgate is not available on the GC with that option. At least it has Michelins so that should make the ride fun. I'll report back on my thoughts
I assume theirs is a Limited? You can get power lift gate with the panoramic roof, the limited has to have the luxury group to get the power liftgate. All Limiteds and up have the panoramic roof.

Oh, the plastic trim I was referring to is the fake looking wood around the cabin. I think it's on the dash and doors
AH I gotcha. Yeah if theirs is a Limited it has that reddish fake wood which I dislike as well. Thats one reason I got a Laredo X instead of the Limited, mine also has fake wood but its a dark charcoal wood which is much more attractive. At the RX Price point though the GC has genuine wood. 2011-2013 it was a red wood for the Overland and a charcoal ash for the Summit, now there are several options including matte finishes, etc. The genuine wood is very nice with chrome accents, etc.

I do like the GS F-Sport interior. That's one car I've had a soft spot for. How are you enjoying yours?
I love it! Mine's the luxury package which has the linear espresso wood instead of the aluminum in the F Sport. I've had several Lexuses as you can see in my sig, but this one is special.
Old 07-03-13, 02:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I just received a new issue of CR and they did a Road Test on a GC Limited. Their comments, "The Jeep GC shines in a group of fresh models." Highs among other things were quiet cabin, fit & finish and easy to use Uconnect system.
Old 07-03-13, 03:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, I just drove it tonight to run a couple errands since it was raining and the Lexus is nice and clean. Haven't driven it in a week and a half or so and am reminded how much I like it.

Sigh...I just really wish the small component quality was there.
Old 07-04-13, 04:24 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, When you get to "kid time", bring a tape measure with you to compare the Jeep to the Lexus. My daughter has a 2yr old and now a one month old. Her husband " loved the technology" in the jeep, but there was SO much more room in the back of the RX for all the kid stuff--strollers, potty chairs, etc that practicality and the Lexus won out. I seem to recall her saying that you couldn't even lay a stroller flat because of the wheel wells in the Jeep. Just some food for thought......

Quick Reply: Had a 2013 RX350 for a loaner while my '13 GS was in the shop...my thoughts