RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

So my take on the '13 RX350(3.5RX) vs. '10 RX350(3RX)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 05:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I certainly don't use three fingers to operate the RTC. I use my pointer finger or maybe my pointer finger and my middle finger...just as I do on a computer mouse

Why would you try and use three fingers to operate a simple mouse controller?
Old 07-02-13, 06:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

how does one finger have enough friction to move the pad around? Unless you are gripping the side of the pad with your thumb and index finger
Old 07-02-13, 06:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The pad is very easy to move around...how could it need more than one finger? I typically use my index and middle finger just because thats the most comfortable, but not because you need two fingers. No need to grip anything on the sides of the pad...

I just totally don't get where you're coming from...
Old 07-02-13, 08:15 PM
RXSF

I think this is how most people use remote touch. This is what I mean by three fingers to move the pad around and then using three fingers to push down, which is tricky since most people dont have much control or feedback from those three fingers.

Notice how the thumb rests on the side of remote touch, which makes sense to put the enter button there.

and this is what I mean by gripping it on the sides and then pushing down with three fingers

I dont see how using one finger is enough for both movement and provide enough pressure for pressing down, but if it works for you that's great
Old 07-02-13, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think this is how most people use remote touch. This is what I mean by three fingers to move the pad around and then using three fingers to push down, which is tricky since most people dont have much control or feedback from those three fingers.

Right...their hand is resting on the pad, and his pointer finger and his middle finger are resting on the control pad. This is how I use the remote touch. This person does not have three fingers on the pad, he has two fingers on the pad, his ring finger is to the side of the pad.

Notice how the thumb rests on the side of remote touch, which makes sense to put the enter button there.
But pushing the enter button there is not a natural movement because people are used to operating a computer mouse and selecting with the two fingers they have on the top of the mouse. Yes there are computer mice out there still with a button for the thumb, but what % of people do you think use a mouse like that? 1%? I haven't seen one in many years.

Hence why they made the change in the controller, because their focus groups showed a majority of people had an issue using the enter button on the side.

I dont see how using one finger is enough for both movement and provide enough pressure for pressing down, but if it works for you that's great
Its not necessary to hold the controller in that way to get enough traction to move it. The controller is easily moved and has a high traction surface where the finger pad touches it. Pushing down is easily accomplished with one finger, it takes very little effort. If you don't have enough strength in the pointer finger of your right hand to move the RTC and push down...you need to see a doctor.

I own the car, trust me it doesn't take "3 fingers". Perhaps the older system does, but the new system does not.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-02-13 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-02-13, 08:43 PM
RXSF

Of course the first picture is just one I found off the internet, so it may have two fingers, I could probably find one where someone uses three. Like this one:

I guess the point I am trying to make is that people seem to be complaining about remote touch because it is easy to overshoot the button you want. Hence the gripping of the sides might help people get to the screen option they want without going too far. Using more than one finger might also help them better control the pad to get them to the proper selection. I think its a mistake to remove the curser too
Old 07-02-13, 09:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My point is that is just the natural way the hand falls on the RTC, you do not *need* three fingers.

Here's a video I just took of me using the RTC in my GS with my pointer finger:

Now, obviously its an unnatural position designed to illustrate that I'm only using one finger, but there is no issue moving, selecting with, or pressing the RTC button with one finger...

I think its a mistake to remove the curser too
It still has a cursor. It snaps from button to button, but there is also a cursor.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-02-13 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-02-13, 09:13 PM
RXSF

thanks for that. Is precision improved when more fingers are used? I would assume so which is why I referenced the three finger position.

how do you have the feedback set to?
Old 07-02-13, 09:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
thanks for that. Is precision improved when more fingers are used? I would assume so which is why I referenced the three finger position.
Not really, its just more comfortable to hold your hand so that two fingers rest on the RTC pad, precision is helped by the more natural hand position, but even like that I have no issue precisely selecting what I want to do.

how do you have the feedback set to?
Its fairly high, I don't remember off the top of my head. I set it the first week and haven't changed it.
Old 07-03-13, 12:47 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the enter button on the side, you can enter your info much quicker as you can work your thumb separately from the fingers/palm that is moving the controller at the top. With everything said, it is still personal preference at the end of the day.
Old 07-03-13, 08:21 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The console cover may be shorter than the 2010. I don't really remember, but it still slides and covers the cool/heat seat switches if you desire.
Old 07-03-13, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mac12
The console cover may be shorter than the 2010. I don't really remember, but it still slides and covers the cool/heat seat switches if you desire.
Correct...
Old 07-03-13, 03:51 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '13 loaner while my '10 is in the shop. There are several things that I found I liked better in the '13: 1) The Nav graphics are much brighter and more appealing, 2)I still found myself trying to 'click' the sides to enter rather than pressing down on the 'mouse', but I'm quite sure it wouldn't take long to get out of that habit, 3)I definitely like the feel of the new, fatter steering wheel better (I didn't even know they had changed it until I saw it mentioned here), it just felt better, 4) the new front grill is growing on me but I don't have a strong preference, 5) I do like the look of the leds, 6) I feel they ride about the same--both are on Michelins,
Here's what I like better in the '10: 1) the 6cd changer--I'm not "hooked up" with ipods or pandora, 2) they will NEVER find a prettier color than my Black Sapphire beauty!!!!