RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

wet carpet - does this sound like a clogged a/c drain hose, or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 03:58 PM
beeleep
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wet carpet - does this sound like a clogged a/c drain hose, or something else?

2010 RX450h, 63k miles. Noticed a bad smell, we thought it might be spilled milk or something, but now I've found that the carpet is wet. Worst under the front seats, but also the mats and under the mats, front and back. Probably worse on the passenger side.

I've read that this might be due to a clogged a/c drain line. I've noticed, though, that there is definitely water dripping underneath the car...I think from where the drain line would be (the dripping is a bit forward of the glove compartment). The thing is, it is still dripping now some 3 hours after the car was last driven. Specifically, I drove from about 10a-11a, then again from 2:45p-3:45p. Noticed dripping beneath the car, maybe a drop every 1-2 sec, 2.5 hours after the last drive ended. Now more like 3 hours after the last drive, the dripping has slowed. I'm wondering, does the dripping mean that maybe my a/c drain line is fine? Or does is the extended dripping time unusual, maybe indicating a partial clog and water then getting into the car?

If it might be the a/c drain hose, can I access it from the engine compartment, and then how to unclog it? I don't want to jack up the car and go underneath...would rather take it to a dealer than do that.

Thanks in advance for any help or other thoughts.
Old 06-23-13, 04:21 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, I thought my 2010h was high mileage having just turned 50K, but you've got me soundly beat. RE: the drain hose, maybe someone else here has figured out how to route it, I've not had to. But if that's the issue, it would be good to know how to do it. Just a thought, have you been changing your cabin filter frequently? It's easy and not that expensive if you do it yourself. Not sure tho if that could have something to do with it. Good luck
Originally Posted by beeleep
2010 RX450h, 63k miles. Noticed a bad smell, we thought it might be spilled milk or something, but now I've found that the carpet is wet. Worst under the front seats, but also the mats and under the mats, front and back. Probably worse on the passenger side.

I've read that this might be due to a clogged a/c drain line. I've noticed, though, that there is definitely water dripping underneath the car...I think from where the drain line would be (the dripping is a bit forward of the glove compartment). The thing is, it is still dripping now some 3 hours after the car was last driven. Specifically, I drove from about 10a-11a, then again from 2:45p-3:45p. Noticed dripping beneath the car, maybe a drop every 1-2 sec, 2.5 hours after the last drive ended. Now more like 3 hours after the last drive, the dripping has slowed. I'm wondering, does the dripping mean that maybe my a/c drain line is fine? Or does is the extended dripping time unusual, maybe indicating a partial clog and water then getting into the car?

If it might be the a/c drain hose, can I access it from the engine compartment, and then how to unclog it? I don't want to jack up the car and go underneath...would rather take it to a dealer than do that.

Thanks in advance for any help or other thoughts.
Old 06-23-13, 05:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, beeleep. On the 2nd gen RX a clogged drain in the moon roof usually caused that kind of problem. We've had some bad downpours in NJ including a few last week. I would check the carpet after the next storm to see if it happens again. Once that's confirmed, the next step would be to unclog the drain. A few people have used compressed air. As far as the dripping underneath, it's typical. I have a pool about an hour after driving and it continues to drip for while. Good luck trying to figure it out.
Old 06-25-13, 01:15 PM
PDReynolds
Driver School Candidate

Default 2012 RX350 Floor Carpeting Saturated with water during rain

Hi All,

Each time it rains and I drive my car, my carpeting under the floor mats in both front and back, drivers and passengers side becomes saturated with water.

Not sure where the source of the leak could be but I would appreciate any assistance from others that may have this problem.
Old 06-25-13, 02:29 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Peter, it sounds like either your sun roof is not sealing or more probably one of your drain tubes from it is clogged.

Welcome to C/L
Originally Posted by PDReynolds
Hi All,

Each time it rains and I drive my car, my carpeting under the floor mats in both front and back, drivers and passengers side becomes saturated with water.

Not sure where the source of the leak could be but I would appreciate any assistance from others that may have this problem.
Old 06-25-13, 02:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

PDReynolds, I merged your thread into this one. Check my response above. Since you're probably still under warranty, I'd advise scheduling an appointment with the dealer ASAP. Good luck.
Old 06-28-13, 04:02 PM
PDReynolds
Driver School Candidate

Took my RX350 to the dealer and definitely confirmed that the AC drain tube was plugged. The service department said it was not a warranty issue but "Lexus was taking care of it". So no charge to me to unclog the hose remove all of the carpeting and dry and clean. Not sure about Lexus statement about warranty.

I did ask him about ensuring that it would not happen again, but he was a little vague about that. He told me that Lexus would check it during my regular service... I prefer to check myself in case I dont make it in for service.

Any thoughts on which filter I could check to make sure the hose does not plug off again. My last maintenance had the cabin filter replaced with the oil change at 20K miles. Could this cabin filter be related to the AC system?
Old 08-31-13, 04:50 AM
winewench
Driver School Candidate

My 2007 RX350 has front and back carpet that is saturated with water. I pulled apart the back cargo area and the carpet is damp to the touch. The carpeted area behind the front seats in the back seat are also damp to the touch. Any idea? I have spoken to my deal this morning and my vehicle is well past warranty. There standard answer is to" bring it in and we can check it out". What I have learned on line is that this is a rather common problem. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has had this problem and what the diagnosis was. If anyone could supply information that I could use as a jump off spot for self diagnosis. Thank you
Old 09-02-13, 06:48 AM
PDReynolds
Driver School Candidate

Winewench,
It sounds like the same issue ad mine. A key point to the issue with the clogged AC drain tube - It is NOT a warranty issue as explained by the dealer in Mass., but Lexus was covering the repair as a good will service. The fact that you are outside of the warranty may not matter.