RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Did you get the Lexus recall letter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 04:12 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the accelerator pedal as modified by Lexus dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Did you get the Lexus recall letter?-lexus-gas-pedal.jpg  
Old 06-06-13, 05:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Yup, that's what mine looks like. I can't see how Lexus would do anything so I'll keep searching for acceptable replacements.
Old 06-06-13, 06:19 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

That is definitely a hatchet job.
Old 07-05-13, 12:03 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Default UPDATE: Lexus did it right by me!

I took my Rx to the Lexus dealer today and they replaced the modified gas pedal with a new one. So I am happy with it.

Just to refresh, I was not happy with how Lexus tried to fix the accelerator pedal. They shave the bottom part at an angle. The shaved end is white and rugged. I wrote to Lexus Consumer and complain. They called the local Lexus dealer and the dealer gave me a call two weeks ago. They said I can bring my car in when the gas pedal part arrive. It did and I went today to have it installed.

Below is a picture of the new gas pedal. I believe you guys who had the shaved gas pedal ought to complain and get a new one installed. The new one looks shorter.

Old 07-07-13, 04:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thanks for posting the update. I was at the dealer over the weekend and asked if I could get a pedal from an '11 or '12 to replace mine. After looking it up, the parts guy couldn't recommend changing to the newer pedal because the numbers are different. He also mentioned something about sensors. I will e-mail the service manager per the advice of my SA to see what can be done. Besides looking hideous post recall, the pedal feels like a balance beam that gets thinner.
Old 07-08-13, 06:24 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Anita,
I would send a letter like I did to Lexus. They seemed to accomodate such letter and request. Here is the letter I sent them. After a couple of weeks I got a response from the local Lexus dealer. They said they got a call from headquarters about my unhappiness with the recall solution. So they ordered the gas pedal and called me again when the part came it. Obviously there is a replacement part for it then. They filled the gas tank and wash the car too.

Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
Lexus Customer Assistance, L201
19001 South Western Avenue
Torrance, CA 90509

Lexus sent me a recall letter on a potential floor mat interference and accelerator pedal. So I took my 2010 Lexus RX350 to our local dealer in Reno, Nevada.

I am not very happy on the work they did with the accelerator pedal. I asked the service rep exactly what they are going to do with the car. He said they will modify the accelerator pedal. However no work is to be done to the floor mat. The service rep did not elaborate on exactly what modifications is to be done.

When I got the car after 2 hours, I examined the gas pedal. They shaved the bottom end of it. I am dumbfounded. When the service rep said they will “modify” the pedal, I thought they will replace a part of it with a new one. My shaved pedal looks UGLY! The shaved portion is now whitish whereas the rest of the pedal is black. This is a $50,000 car.

A modification for a recall should have taken into consideration the aesthetic effect of Lexus’s solution. Lexus should have replaced the entire accelerator pedal assembly with a new assembly. I did not take my car for the recall to be mutilated in this manner. I want Lexus to replace my gas pedal with a new corrected one. If this is not possible, I want Lexus to put back the original pedal.

With Regards,

Last edited by LeoDLion; 07-08-13 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-08-13, 06:34 AM
XDTechs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal appearance after recall

Little know fact.. Lexus has replacement pedals. If you go into the dealer and tell the manager you have an issue with the pedals appearance the can get a new replacement pedal. It can be a hassle, because people do not ask, or know to ask, for a new pedal assembly. They may have to contact lexus to release the part, I don't know if it is still on manual release, and how long it has been seen the recall was performed might be an issue. The replacements parts were reasonably priced as well. Very simple install, just make sure that the battery is disconnected DIY'ers.
Old 07-08-13, 08:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thanks. I plan on contacting the service manager first since I've known him for almost 10 years and he is just as awesome as my SA. I don't anticipate any problems getting a suitable replacement especially after mentioning a few medical issues I have with my right foot and leg. There is a noticeable difference with the pedal post recall.
Old 10-19-13, 08:46 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Thanks Anita and everybody. I took my car today. They shaved the gas pedal. I am not happy about it. I am writing a letter to Toyota/Lexus Customer Assistance to complain. The shaved bottom part is whitish where the rest of the gas pedal is black. It is ugly and reflects badly on Lexus for doing a solution that looks cheap and trashy. I will update when they reply.
Did Lexus ever reply? My shaved pedal is pretty ugly too...
Old 10-20-13, 06:41 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the replacement pedal done before, but was told that there is now a software fix that needs to be made for this issue.
Old 10-20-13, 09:27 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
I had the replacement pedal done before, but was told that there is now a software fix that needs to be made for this issue.
Really? They replaced my pedal earlier this year. How did you hear about the software fix? Letter? Dealer?
Old 10-21-13, 06:29 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus Owners site is much more up to date than letters. After I saw it I emailed my service assistant at the dealer who confirmed it.
Old 10-21-13, 09:55 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
Lexus Owners site is much more up to date than letters. After I saw it I emailed my service assistant at the dealer who confirmed it.
Ok, ill check on there. I know i need to go in for that one recall about pressing the brake and gas pedal at the same time and making sure the brake overrides both pedals.