RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A few noob questions about RX350...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 10:25 AM
simkesh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink A few noob questions about RX350...

Hey everyone!

I am new to this forum and i've got a few questions about my RX350 (2011) for which i couldn't find any answers!
First things first, can i watch/play video files from USB drive (any video file like wmv, mp4,...)?
And also, is it possible to make the front screen show DVDs as well (currently, only the two screens on the back show DVDs due to driver distraction, but i promise i wont watch when i am driving I just want my right passenger to be able to watch it)?

Thanks a lot!
Old 06-20-13, 10:46 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by simkesh
Hey everyone!

I am new to this forum and i've got a few questions about my RX350 (2011) for which i couldn't find any answers!
First things first, can i watch/play video files from USB drive (any video file like wmv, mp4,...)?
And also, is it possible to make the front screen show DVDs as well (currently, only the two screens on the back show DVDs due to driver distraction, but i promise i wont watch when i am driving I just want my right passenger to be able to watch it)?

Thanks a lot!
Do you have Mark Levinson system? If not you have no video player so the answer is no, no video on the main screen. Even if you have ML you can't watch videos while moving unless you hack the system.

Keep your eyes on the road.
Old 06-20-13, 10:54 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The USB drives will only play audio and only Mp3 and WMA formats up to 320 kbps. As for the screens, you'll have to search the forum for that. I think there is a product that you can install that will open up the main screen for video playback while driving, as well as letting you enter a destination while driving.
Old 06-20-13, 11:25 AM
simkesh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Do you have Mark Levinson system? If not you have no video player so the answer is no, no video on the main screen. Even if you have ML you can't watch videos while moving unless you hack the system.

Keep your eyes on the road.
Yea i do have ML. Is there any guide for hacking the system though?

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
The USB drives will only play audio and only Mp3 and WMA formats up to 320 kbps. As for the screens, you'll have to search the forum for that. I think there is a product that you can install that will open up the main screen for video playback while driving, as well as letting you enter a destination while driving.
Thanks! so no video files from USB drives even if u could hack them right?
Can you explain what's that product that you are talking about?
Old 06-21-13, 04:24 AM
dlchandler
Driver School Candidate

Check this site http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=5
Old 06-21-13, 05:58 AM
simkesh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dlchandler
This one sounds good! Except that most of their products are not compatible with Lexus RX i think.
Thanks
Old 06-21-13, 06:03 AM
simkesh
Driver School Candidate

Alright! so my next question is, is it possible to play songs in random mode for the entire disc/USB drive?
For me, it only randomizes the songs that are in a folder but not the entire disc which is kinda disappointing...
Also, when switching off the car, it would ask if u want to close the windows before leaving the car. Is it possible to make it close the windows by default all the time? It's a bit hassling to go through the steps of closing the windows every single time and it would be awesome if the windows would close automatically after the car is locked!
Old 06-21-13, 06:51 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Lexus likes to emphasize safety. Having windows that operate automatically would potentially have disastrous effects on unsuspecting children.
Old 06-21-13, 09:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

You may want to check out what VAIS has to offer.
Old 06-21-13, 12:05 PM
simkesh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Lexus likes to emphasize safety. Having windows that operate automatically would potentially have disastrous effects on unsuspecting children.
True
I wish Lexus would have given us the option to choose whether or not we want it to be automatic though.

Originally Posted by kitlz
You may want to check out what VAIS has to offer.
Thanks! this is basically the same website as "dlchandler" gave me.
But i am not sure if their products are compatible with Mark Levinson system?
Old 06-21-13, 12:28 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks! this is basically the same website as "dlchandler" gave me.
But i am not sure if their products are compatible with Mark Levinson system?
VAIS probably is compatible with ML. They come out with new products often so it's best to check with them directly. You can send a PM, they're a CL vendor.
Old 06-21-13, 01:00 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright! so my next question is, is it possible to play songs in random mode for the entire disc/USB drive?
For me, it only randomizes the songs that are in a folder but not the entire disc which is kinda disappointing...
Also, when switching off the car, it would ask if u want to close the windows before leaving the car. Is it possible to make it close the windows by default all the time? It's a bit hassling to go through the steps of closing the windows every single time and it would be awesome if the windows would close automatically after the car is locked!
On my '13 there is a random mode. From my experience so far it randomizes the entire usb drive and not just a folder.
Old 06-24-13, 11:58 PM
simkesh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
VAIS probably is compatible with ML. They come out with new products often so it's best to check with them directly. You can send a PM, they're a CL vendor.
Originally Posted by sc400
On my '13 there is a random mode. From my experience so far it randomizes the entire usb drive and not just a folder.
Thanks a lot guys!
I will see if i can get my hands on any of those hacking devices, and report back
Old 06-27-13, 03:39 AM
simkesh
Driver School Candidate

Alright so apparently there are two wires that are responsible for deactivating some of the features while driving. One is connected to the speed sensor and the other one is connected to the gear.
Im taking my RX to the dealership this Sat to disconnect both of them. I will report back then
Old 06-28-13, 11:56 PM
simkesh
Driver School Candidate

K so its done!
They disconnected both wires and now i can play video files while driving. I can also browse through the list of folders and songs (on my USB drive) while driving. This wasn't possible previously (i could only see a limited number of folders before).
Good thing is that the camera below the mirror still works fine and when you hit lower speeds, the screen automatically switches to that camera (even though the speed sensor for the DVD is now disconnected).
But my main concern is still intact is there a way to actually play video files from USB drive?

Quick Reply: A few noob questions about RX350...