ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   2010 RX 350 AFS headlight aim adjustment - HELP! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/691581-2010-rx-350-afs-headlight-aim-adjustment-help.html)

jyousc 05-07-13 09:25 PM

2010 RX 350 AFS headlight aim adjustment - HELP!

I am trying to adjust the vertical (up) AFS headlight aim on my 2010 RX 350. They currently point too low and do not illuminate the roads well enough at night. Note that the vehicle has the AFS HID headlights that are located next to the front grill.

The owner's manual provides do-it-yourself (DIY) instructions. Electronic version may be linked here: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04_03.pdf

I found adjustment bolt A elsewhere. Adjustment bolt B was found as illustrated.

Following these instructions on p. 512, I have tried adjusting the two silver bolts for the left and right AFS headlights by manually turning each pair of bolts on both sides with my fingers rather than a Phillips screwdriver, but no effort appears to affect the AFS headlight aim either vertically or horizontally.

The instructions also recommend taking the vehicle into the dealer if the headlights cannot be adjusted this way, but I wanted to check this forum before doing that. I'd rather do it myself.

Has anyone tried this before successfully?

Your advice is appreciated!

jyousc 05-10-13 05:37 PM

The vertical headlight aim was adjusted up/higher at the dealer. The service adviser was kind enough to take photos and videos while the technician made the adjustment.

Although the owner's manual and the stickers on the headlamps give instructions to make the same adjustment to two bolts on each side, the service adviser said it was only one bolt per side. The actual bolt is below a white plastic mount where there is a hole to insert a Phillips-head screwdriver to turn the bolt's teeth located nearby the HID headlight covers under the hood.

I will try it myself and report back here!

jyousc 05-13-13 09:34 PM

Successfully tried on my own. Only needed to adjust one bolt per side for vertical (up/down) aim adjustment.

Sevn86 05-13-13 11:40 PM

i need to do this.

jyousc 05-14-13 09:25 AM

After having picked up the car from the dealer and some night time driving, I noticed the HID headlights reflected off street/highway signs that were high up and far away. This told me that the dealer adjusted the headlights way too high, so I had to lower them myself. In between my adjustments after sun down, I drove alongside parked cars on the street and ensured the top of the light (where it cuts off) does not shine into the cars' cabins and parked behind other cars to ensure they didn't hit above their side view mirrors from behind.

Took a road trip this weekend and was very happy with the new adjustments when driving after sun down. They properly lit the road, road signs, and road hazards perfectly -- even at high speeds.

austinav 10-03-13 05:57 AM

I have this feeling too, the headlight aim is too low aim and i have difficulty to drive in the night. I will send it to the dealer to do this adjustment, but strangely, why 2 bolts when 1 bolt per light is needed to adjust?

Originally Posted by jyousc (Post 7937290)
After having picked up the car from the dealer and some night time driving, I noticed the HID headlights reflected off street/highway signs that were high up and far away. This told me that the dealer adjusted the headlights way too high, so I had to lower them myself. In between my adjustments after sun down, I drove alongside parked cars on the street and ensured the top of the light (where it cuts off) does not shine into the cars' cabins and parked behind other cars to ensure they didn't hit above their side view mirrors from behind.

Took a road trip this weekend and was very happy with the new adjustments when driving after sun down. They properly lit the road, road signs, and road hazards perfectly -- even at high speeds.

vlad_a 10-03-13 07:41 AM

One could always try adjusting suspension sensors. Getting one of them to go up or down, will change aim of both headlights. I didn't look at where they are on the RX yet.

Sevn86 10-03-13 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by austinav (Post 8169630)
I have this feeling too, the headlight aim is too low aim and i have difficulty to drive in the night. I will send it to the dealer to do this adjustment, but strangely, why 2 bolts when 1 bolt per light is needed to adjust?

Maybe the other one is to adjust it horizontally? Just a guess.

austinav 10-03-13 07:30 PM

One of the bolt could be the horizontal aim. :)

vlad_a,

Where is this suspension sensor? But I rather leave it untouched if that is the last option, since it is not in the owner's manual.

Originally Posted by Sevn86 (Post 8169813)
Maybe the other one is to adjust it horizontally? Just a guess.

austinav 10-05-13 07:33 PM

I try to adjust the aim of the headlight, and I found 2 of these. Is it the trumpet shaped adjuster where the philip head screw driver is going to sit on the throat of this trumpet? The trumpet looks like a sort of guide for the screw driver. If it is, I think the philip screw driver needs a very slender shaft.

http://imageshack.us/a/img822/8609/9n64.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/8551/9xdg.jpg

austinav 10-07-13 08:02 PM

Found some documents of the adjustment. Anyone needs the COMPLETE aiming specifications and procedures (for USA, taiwan, china, indonesia vehicle specs....) can PM me. I have the soft copy.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4974/1iw3.jpg

RaleighRX 11-18-15 07:33 PM

Bump from the archives. Long time lurker, first time poster. The forum has been a huge help with my wife's 2008 RX. I would have never thought to look at the spare tire PSI to eliminate the TPMS warning.

Anyway .... About headlight adjustments .... Our 08 RX400h has the AFS HIDs. I found thw gear on the headlight assembly for vertical adjust but I can't turn it. I tried phillips head screw drivers with different sized flanges but I've only bent the teeth. Hopefully didnt damage them too badly. I've done this before on my Hondas,Toyotas, and Mazdas and never had issues.

Am I missing something? Is there a release or stopper that has to be disengaged? My Mazda has auto leveling and the car has to be in ACC (dash lights on but engine off) to do it. Is therea trick for the Lexus?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TommyTT 07-03-17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by jyousc (Post 7931678)
The vertical headlight aim was adjusted up/higher at the dealer. The service adviser was kind enough to take photos and videos while the technician made the adjustment.

Although the owner's manual and the stickers on the headlamps give instructions to make the same adjustment to two bolts on each side, the service adviser said it was only one bolt per side. The actual bolt is below a white plastic mount where there is a hole to insert a Phillips-head screwdriver to turn the bolt's teeth located nearby the HID headlight covers under the hood.

[quote]Successfully tried on my own. Only needed to adjust one bolt per side for vertical (up/down) aim adjustment[quote]

Which way do you turn the bolt to raise the beam?

OttawaPhil 11-08-17 04:33 AM

Adjustment has no effect, any suggestions?

I have a 2013 RX350 with the HID Low beams that point way too low. I would like to adjust them. The picture in the owners manual is totally wrong, like its from a different year car or something. There seems to be only one white plastic adjustment screw for a phillips screw driver. I tried turning this either way, but it does not make any difference to the height. Any ideas?
What about the auto levelling sensors? Are they adjustable? I am not in warranty any more, so I dont want to go to the dealer, I would like to fix this myself.

Thanks for your help,

Phil

tn7con 02-03-19 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by jyousc (Post 7931678)

Could you take a picture showing the exact location of the hole to insert a Phillip's screwdriver? Thanks.