RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

HID Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 01:09 PM
gholla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morimoto Elite HID System Shadows on 2013 RX 350

Has anyone used Morimoto Elite HID System on 2013 RX 350? I recently upgraded my stock halogen low beam bulbs to HID using this kit (H11) and I am not impressed at all. However, I do think the HID Kit is of great quality, it has something to do with the projector.

Please see the attached picture. It produces a red thick line on the output which becomes a bigger shadow while driving. I don't think its with the bulb since it is happening on both the sides.

Has anyone seen this before and was able to resolve it? Please let me know..!

I also have some issues with the passenger side light, as it is not as bright as the driver side and also not focussing much. I tried to adjust the aiming better, but still no luck.
Attached Thumbnails HID Question-photo-4-1.jpg   HID Question-photo-3-2.jpg   HID Question-photo-2-2.jpg  
Old 04-29-13, 08:10 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HID Question

I'm so furious! I was on vacation this past weekend and I got a call from my parents that they bought a brand new RX350! They got everything right, navi/parking sensors/the works.. except.. HID!!

How can they forget that?! It makes me so angry at Lexus for building such a nice vehicle but not equip it with HID's.. all IS models have it so why can't the RX?

Anyways, I noticed that adding an aftermarket kit is an option but itll look terrible on the road. Has anyone successfully added an HID headlight into a non-HID vehicle? A lot of IS members trade up to the LED headlights and the AFS modules are all intact with the headlight for only $1200. Is this possible for the RX?
Old 04-30-13, 05:18 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My HID look great. Also 90% of the Navigation packaged RX350 comes with comfort package, which includes HID

LED aftermarket is possible, but their beam is not far enough on the road vs HID.

Last edited by Whitigir; 04-30-13 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-30-13, 05:23 AM
kryten
Rookie

Yeah, comfort package has the HID's and when I was looking they always came with that if you had Nav! Sucks they got one without the comfort package. Maybe CA has some different options to MA in that regard.
Old 04-30-13, 09:29 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I have Morimoto XenGreens and I am not impressed. I'll post a full review later.
Old 04-30-13, 11:59 AM
gholla
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I was also furious when I saw that HID was optional. I did look for HID when I bought the car, but didn't have it with the color option & BSM I was looking for. I sacrificed HID for color:-)

Me and my friend bought a new car together and he went for Acura RDX with tech package. When I saw the headlights in it, I realized what I missed! Also, the Acura ELS audio is much better than my Lexus and I have paid 10k more than him!

Now on the HID "ground shadow issue", I received an email from TRS:
"The Morimoto 3Five H11 HID bulbs are designed according to the industry standard for H11 bulb orientation. Toyota is one of the few manufactures who sometimes goes against the grain and uses an inverted bulb holder in their factory headlights. The reason why is unknown, but the resulting side effect is a shadow from the ground wire on the standard H11 HID bulb. Our H11-B bulbs are a solid choice for those facing this problem though since when locked in, their ground wire will still remain at 6-o-clock.

As such, you can modify your H11 bulbs to allow you to rotate the bulbs and no longer have those shadows--the easiest route to resolve this issue."

Looks like I need to mod the bulb. I also found out that there are some other vendor who sell HID Kits which will have no ground shadow issue.

I will try to mod the bulb and will update. If it doesn't work, I think I can buy the bulbs separately which has this issue fixed (Prius latest generation as well).
Old 04-30-13, 05:32 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That looks poor, I like DDM tuning HIDs. They also have a lifetime warranty
Old 04-30-13, 08:34 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusNN
That looks poor, I like DDM tuning HIDs. They also have a lifetime warranty
Yes! I have DDM tunning, they are cheap, and very reliable
Old 04-30-13, 10:36 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gholla

Me and my friend bought a new car together and he went for Acura RDX with tech package. When I saw the headlights in it, I realized what I missed! Also, the Acura ELS audio is much better than my Lexus and I have paid 10k more than him!
Don't worry, you still got a superior vehicle.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 05-01-13, 02:10 PM
gholla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ecr72
Don't worry, you still got a superior vehicle.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
:-) yeah. The only thing that I am unhappy about my RX apart from HID is its audio/speaker system. I always like to have the best audio in my car and just for that reason I had gone for Camry (2009 model) XLE with JBL speakers earlier & I loved them. When I was purchasing RX, I told the salesman that I need premium audio and he said this car has it. It was my mistake that I didn't do much research on RX speaker system and hence didn't know anything about Mark Levinson. If I knew, I would have definitely bought it:-( The current, premium, sound system doesn't even have a powered subwoofer!

Anyways, I have taken care of at least HID now:-)
Old 05-02-13, 06:14 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

^^^^
Check the driver side in the trunk. You'll find the sub there. The 12-speaker system (non-ML) has that.
It had exceeded my expectations. The surround sound (home theater) is awesome, BTW.

I am also not happy with Toyota for not offering HID headlights on their models, unless they were optioned with top packages, such as Nav. When I got our Prius, I got the lower package, figuring I would add LED housing and lights myself. In 2 years of having it, I never got to it. RX now has HIDs, so problem solved. My IS300 came with HIDs standard. Even the base model had them. Too bad that didn't help the sales numbers.
Old 05-02-13, 08:58 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with Vlad_a. The premium sound system in the RX350 is really good. Though, you can have better from Aftermarket....but this is true for even Mark Levinson. Don't feel bad, because this ML is very rare
Old 05-02-13, 12:18 PM
gholla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
^^^^
Check the driver side in the trunk. You'll find the sub there. The 12-speaker system (non-ML) has that.
It had exceeded my expectations. The surround sound (home theater) is awesome, BTW.

I am also not happy with Toyota for not offering HID headlights on their models, unless they were optioned with top packages, such as Nav. When I got our Prius, I got the lower package, figuring I would add LED housing and lights myself. In 2 years of having it, I never got to it. RX now has HIDs, so problem solved. My IS300 came with HIDs standard. Even the base model had them. Too bad that didn't help the sales numbers.
Yes, it has the subwoofer. But it is not a powered subwoofer. Means, I don't have an option to change the subwoofer gain (like Bass/Mid/Treble).

Regarding the Surround Sound - yes, it is very good:-)
Old 05-02-13, 01:42 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, it still is a powered sub - there are wires going into it. Typically, you wouldn't set the crossover frequency, once it is been tuned. Same goes for gain. Even if you get ML system, it will not be any different. Ideally, the sub should not stand out on its own.
You can change the Bass/Treble/Mid by pressing tuning wheel. It will change for all speakers, including the sub.
Since sub is not directional, it has no fader option. Adjust the bass setting and it would change the amount of power going to the sub.
Old 05-06-13, 04:50 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Well, it still is a powered sub - there are wires going into it. Typically, you wouldn't set the crossover frequency, once it is been tuned. Same goes for gain. Even if you get ML system, it will not be any different. Ideally, the sub should not stand out on its own.
You can change the Bass/Treble/Mid by pressing tuning wheel. It will change for all speakers, including the sub.
Since sub is not directional, it has no fader option. Adjust the bass setting and it would change the amount of power going to the sub.
Exactly! The subwoodfer was designed to bring out the lowest realistic frequency. To audiophile, a good audio system should be finely tuned that every instrument sounds can be all listened separately.

I have seen cars where people has shaken subwoodfer in it, like when i stand outside their car, all i hear is Woom Wam Wam, Woom Woooo, Waaaash Zaa Zaa.

I laugh all the time when i see them. Because i can never find any musical Instrument to produce that same sound

Quick Reply: HID Question