RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Newbie's humbling the Vets with good info (Tips and Tricks)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-13, 12:32 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here is another gotcha I just learned about, which was not in the manual, at least I could not find it....

The passenger side temp settings, also controls the air temp coming out of the vents on rear-end of console, for 2nd row. I raised the temp of the passenger side +6 deg, so no AC would be wasted on that side while driving solo, as I could not reach over and close the far vent by passenger window.... then I felt a rush of heat coming out of the rear vents when it was 100 deg. outside, not good.

So two lessons just learned. temp control for rear vents is controlled by passenger temp control, and if you raise one of the temps much higher than the other side, the RX brain will allow simultaneous heating and cooling... would love to chat with the genius who allowed this to occur in firmware. Talk about a waste of energy!!!

Last edited by Dolphin; 06-24-13 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 07:14 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ran fuel tank down, so needle was perfectly aligned with Empty line, on level ground. Nav screen showed ZERO miles cruising range.

Filled up tank, it took 17.5 gallons. On the 350, 19.2 - 17.5 = 1.7 gallons remain. So the NAV screen and gage is relatively conservative. BEWARE, not same on 450h.
Old 10-22-13, 09:39 PM
rx350drivr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 Less known features

I read some posts and realized that I do not know some of the features in the RX350. For example, I learned about the hill assist feature, pressure pad around the hatch, etc. from posts. A friend showed me how to turn on the self-folding capability of the side mirrors when you lock the doors.

I confess I do not have the patience to read 1,413 pages of the 2013 RX350. I am hoping people will share various features they know are unique to the RX350. Many of us may benefit from the posts on this thread.
Old 10-23-13, 12:24 AM
ownerrx350
Driver School Candidate

You could link your preferred driver seat memory pre-set position to the key you normally carry. Page 105 in the manual has the following steps listed:

Record your driving position to button “1”, “2” or “3” before performing the following:
Carry only the key (including the card key) to which you want to link the driving position. If 2 or more keys are in the vehicle, the driving position cannot be linked properly.
Step 1: RX350: Shift the shift lever to P and close the driver's door. Turn the “ENGINE START STOP” switch to IGNITION ON mode. RX450h: Shift the shift lever to P and close the driver's door.

Step 2: Turn the “POWER” switch to ON mode.Press the desired button (“1”, “2” or“3”) to recall the position. Then,while keep pressing the button, press the driver's door lock switches (either lock or unlock) until the signal beeps.

The driving position is recalled when the driver's door is unlocked using the entry function or wireless remote control and the driver's door is opened.
Old 10-23-13, 12:34 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stand on your left leg, hop three times and close your right eye... WHY can't Lexus do this tasks with a menu setting instead of going through all these arcane steps?
The following 2 users liked this post by Poisson:
jaylmw08 (09-30-19), SJM (08-21-21)
Old 11-06-13, 05:33 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Poisson
Stand on your left leg, hop three times and close your right eye... WHY can't Lexus do this tasks with a menu setting instead of going through all these arcane steps?

Why not a simple voice command. "Pair seat memory to key fob". ?
The following users liked this post:
jaylmw08 (09-30-19)
Old 06-04-14, 10:50 PM
msat
Driver School Candidate

Okay, so if I have the lights on and get out of the car, no ding. Is there a way to turn it on?

2010 Rx 350 fwd no nav
Old 06-05-14, 05:23 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Your settings are likely for the lights to turn off after a predetermined time. Just like mine . In that case, no dingaling sounds.
Originally Posted by msat
Okay, so if I have the lights on and get out of the car, no ding. Is there a way to turn it on?

2010 Rx 350 fwd no nav
Old 06-05-14, 03:54 PM
msat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Your settings are likely for the lights to turn off after a predetermined time. Just like mine . In that case, no dingaling sounds.
Lol but I want the hey dingaling turn off the lights sound...

So here's what happened. I'm in Pittsburgh during the winter. I had several short drives and stops in a row (like three or four, but each stop was with a valet which really means at least six or eight on/off cycles). Poof, dead battery.

I think what happened is that the lights are on for only a few minutes before turning off, but that happened more than a half dozen times, which prolly meant half hour of lights on time.

Is there a way to make the lights turn off immediately?

I often drive with my lights on during the day, so the auto setting doesn't work
Old 06-05-14, 04:16 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, you can go into the settings and do it or just give them 30 seconds so you can get into your house. If you haven't read your manual yet, it's time for some good reading to give you a good nights sleep .

Likely the valet was playing your radio . I never use them myself.
Originally Posted by msat
Lol but I want the hey dingaling turn off the lights sound...

So here's what happened. I'm in Pittsburgh during the winter. I had several short drives and stops in a row (like three or four, but each stop was with a valet which really means at least six or eight on/off cycles). Poof, dead battery.

I think what happened is that the lights are on for only a few minutes before turning off, but that happened more than a half dozen times, which prolly meant half hour of lights on time.

Is there a way to make the lights turn off immediately?

I often drive with my lights on during the day, so the auto setting doesn't work
Old 06-05-14, 04:22 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are two settings you might be interested in:

Originally Posted by Carista App
Instruments / Display / Dings:

Ding when headlights are left on
*YES* / NO

Lights:

Coming-home lights duration
OFF / *30 SECONDS* / 60 SECONDS / 90 SECONDS
I don't know if they are available through the owner's vehicle setup, a dealer configuration change or only through the Carista app. I just looked through the settings the app found for our 2014 RX350. I don't know what would be available on the 2010 but a trip to the Owners Manual might be in order.
Old 06-05-14, 05:59 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

msat, you can program the headlights to turn off when you open the door. And according to the Lexus Personalized Settings, they'll turn off even if the headlights are manually turned on. Take a look at page 3. But I'm not sure how it's programmed for non-nav RXs. Try checking the folders button on the steering wheel. Otherwise you may need to visit the dealer to program it. As far as the dead battery, when was the last time you had it checked? It might be time for a new one after four years.
Old 12-29-14, 03:58 PM
rdh4190
Driver School Candidate

Default Headlights

In my new to me 2013 RX 350, the headlights if set to auto will automatically shut off after 30 seconds of the car being off, however if set to 'ON' they do not turn off and when I open the door the car beeps and has a message on the dash to turn off the headlights. My old ES headlight would turn on automatically whether on auto or set to ON.

I can not figure out how to change the settings for the headlights to turn off automatically if set to the ON position. On the Navigation menu under Vehicle settings, it just says Headlights Auto and that is the only one it controls apparently.

Anyone???
Old 01-05-15, 07:09 PM
msat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dolphin
here is another gotcha I just learned about, which was not in the manual, at least I could not find it....

The passenger side temp settings, also controls the air temp coming out of the vents on rear-end of console, for 2nd row. I raised the temp of the passenger side +6 deg, so no AC would be wasted on that side while driving solo, as I could not reach over and close the far vent by passenger window.... then I felt a rush of heat coming out of the rear vents when it was 100 deg. outside, not good.

So two lessons just learned. temp control for rear vents is controlled by passenger temp control, and if you raise one of the temps much higher than the other side, the RX brain will allow simultaneous heating and cooling... would love to chat with the genius who allowed this to occur in firmware. Talk about a waste of energy!!!
Now that is interesting. So in times of high ambient temperature and fog conditions, the windows fog something terrible. I'd like to have the AC on the vents (since it is hot), and heat coming out of the defroster (to defrost the windows, of course). I wonder if I can use this trick to do that? Unfortunately, the not so wise engineers designing the RX decided that the defrost temperature should be controlled by the vent temperature.
Old 04-15-15, 10:41 AM
mtmendez
Driver School Candidate

I had wondered what that little dimple/*** was about. After reading this post I tried it to see if it locked the doors and it worked beautifully! Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Newbie's humbling the Vets with good info (Tips and Tricks)