RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX 350 - Loud Noise while shifting from Reverse to Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 02:03 PM
gholla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX 350 - Loud Noise while shifting from Reverse to Drive

Hello,

I recently leased a 2013 RX 350 and started hearing a weird loud noise almost in the first week itself. It seems to happen whenever I shift the gears from Reverse to Drive. The loud noise comes from the back of the car and anyone sitting in the car (speakers turned off) can hear/feel it. It seems to be worse in the morning (or when the engine is cold).
I took it to the lexus service center and the person told me something about differential pressure, which I really didn't understand:-). However, he said nothing can be done and its not a safety issue and sent me back home without any fix:-(

I have driven many cars in my life so far and never ever came across something like this. Is it something normal at all? Is anyone else with Lexus RX 350 has observed this?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-13, 03:51 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not normal. go to a different Lexus dealer...
Old 04-04-13, 04:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Not normal. As suggested above, try a different Lexus dealer or go back and insist on them replicating the thump with another RX on the lot if they say it's normal. Now of course, the assumption here is that the car is full stopped and not rolling when changing from R to D...

Keep us posted.
Old 04-05-13, 07:56 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MjThind
DITTO!
Old 04-05-13, 09:54 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MjThind
This is a new purchase for the OP. Why should they do to a different dealer at this point? Give the selling dealership a chance to make things right.

Agree with corradoMR2 about going back to the dealership, getting the Service Manager, and working this out. Tell them that this is not acceptable. Try another RX like yours. Does it do the same thing? Am going to guess it will not.

If you still do not get satisfaction I would be calling Lexus Customer Service to voice a complaint. The phone number is in your Owner's Manual.
Old 04-05-13, 01:34 PM
gholla
Driver School Candidate

I have scheduled another appointment with the same dealer for now.. Will keep posted.
Old 04-24-13, 12:20 PM
gholla
Driver School Candidate

I have an update on this now. This time they kept the car with them for a week, but still couldn't diagnose the problem. They then contacted Lexus Engineering and were told that Lexus knows about this issue! But still they don't have a fix yet. I was told that its not a safety concern and I will be contacted when they come out with a fix for this issue. Needless to say, I am bit disappointed with Lexus quality control and engineering team.

By the way, I was able to hear this sound in my loaner vehicle as well (2013 RX model) on one day. I was so happy to hear that sound in a loaner!
Old 04-24-13, 01:14 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Oh my ghosh....i am going to put my new 2013 rx350 into reverse and drive for many times now, and hope i dont see this problem :-(

Wut kinda noise is that ? I never really paid enough attention. Is it the lock engaging noise ?

Last edited by Whitigir; 04-24-13 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-24-13, 01:56 PM
gholla
Driver School Candidate

Well, it happens only when the engine is cold. Most of times, when I start my car in the morning every day. However, if I start the engine and wait for a minute before putting it in reverse/drive OR if I just change it from R->D->R couple of times without driving OR if you take it to the service center and try to explain them - IT DOESN'T HAPPEN!

The sound is like a big THUD. It happens everytime I start the engine in the morning (first time) and immediately put it in R and take reverse and then put it in Drive and immediately start driving. The key word here is immediate. No time given to the engine oil to warm up or transmission to become smooth.
Old 04-24-13, 02:01 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

If the engine is cold, it will run at higher RPMs. What is the RPM range when this occurs?
If it is normal occurrence and so far nobody else complained, it doesn't sound like a big deal to me.
Old 04-24-13, 05:04 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Cold engine should only run around 2500 rpm... I am pretty sure. I will try it tomorrow morning
Old 05-26-13, 07:31 PM
CargoPants
Driver School Candidate

In my 2011 RX 350 AWD, starting the car, waiting a few seconds for idle to settle down a little, then back out of the driveway, then click into Drive and press the gas pedal soon afterward, I hear a clunk from the back of the car. If I click into Drive and then wait almost two seconds before pressing the gas pedal, no clunk. When I hear the clunk, the car jerks a tiny bit.

Not sure if it is related to the 2013 problem, but thought I would share what sounds like a similar problem.
Old 05-28-13, 01:19 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gholla
Well, it happens only when the engine is cold. Most of times, when I start my car in the morning every day. However, if I start the engine and wait for a minute before putting it in reverse/drive OR if I just change it from R->D->R couple of times without driving OR if you take it to the service center and try to explain them - IT DOESN'T HAPPEN!

The sound is like a big THUD. It happens everytime I start the engine in the morning (first time) and immediately put it in R and take reverse and then put it in Drive and immediately start driving. The key word here is immediate. No time given to the engine oil to warm up or transmission to become smooth.
This doesn't sound like an engine problem but more like a user problem to me. Why couldn't you give it a few seconds for the engine to properly warm up before you put in reverse?
Old 05-29-13, 11:50 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

When shifting from P to R to N to D i hear a thud but its more noticeable when im at a slight incline like my drive way. Dealer told me it was normal. I dont believe it but im out of my 4 year 50 k mile warranty so i cant do anything.
Old 05-29-13, 01:43 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you did have a problem and it was internal in the transmission for instance, it should be covered under the extended power train warranty.
Originally Posted by Sevn86
When shifting from P to R to N to D i hear a thud but its more noticeable when im at a slight incline like my drive way. Dealer told me it was normal. I dont believe it but im out of my 4 year 50 k mile warranty so i cant do anything.

Quick Reply: 2013 RX 350 - Loud Noise while shifting from Reverse to Drive