RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation not recognizing my voice commands

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 10:23 AM
Ev43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation not recognizing my voice commands

Folks,

My nav system has difficulty recognizing my voice commands. Are there any settings that can be adjusted? I did look through the navigation manual and see that there is a voice volume setting
but my guess is that is the volume of "her" voice? Our car is a 2013 RX 350 if that matters.

Regards,

Everett
Old 03-30-13, 10:46 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The ability of your Lexus to recognize voice isn't unique to the Navigation function per se. It works for some people, not others. There is no training ability, other than to say try speaking clearly, at a moderate volume. Past threads here indicate it is a hit-and-miss proposition for all types of people -- not related to male, female, young or old, e.g. I gave up after 6 weeks of trying to get my RX to recognize my voice consistently and don't use it. It's one of the two larger disappointments I have with my RX. OTOH, Cruiter (one of the moderators) has indicated he has good luck with voice recognition, as have some others.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-30-13, 10:53 AM
Ev43
Driver School Candidate

Thanks once again Bert. Maybe we are speaking too loudly to the thing! :-)
It is hit and miss.
Old 03-30-13, 10:53 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

I find it doesnt recognize my parents most times, and I have much more success with it when I speak slowly and enunciate.
Old 03-30-13, 11:43 AM
Ev43
Driver School Candidate

Default microphone....

The microphone for the voice recognition feature appears to be in the center headliner area.
I don't know if it makes sense to speak "at" it or just speak naturally straight ahead.
I guess some experimentation is in order! Drat, another cruise in the new car!!
Old 03-30-13, 12:11 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Unless it's been changed since the 2010 model (it's possible), the mike is in the mirror. Try orating in that direction and see how it goes.
Originally Posted by Ev43
The microphone for the voice recognition feature appears to be in the center headliner area.
I don't know if it makes sense to speak "at" it or just speak naturally straight ahead.
I guess some experimentation is in order! Drat, another cruise in the new car!!
The following users liked this post:
AzRX450h (09-11-17)
Old 03-30-13, 01:50 PM
Ev43
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Cruiter. We have much to learn about the computer on wheels!
Old 03-30-13, 02:21 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may or may not work for you, and obviously, based on the replies here, this is not a universal 'fix'. However, in our case, I generally haven't had any issues but my wife has. She took it on a trip once and it didn't do very well recognizing what she was saying, so, she decided just for the helluvit to try lowering (as in more male) her voice and 'Bingo' !!!??? Who knows, but it worked for her......
Old 03-30-13, 04:35 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That's a good line and the main reason I named him 'Watson'. Some may say it's sic but I've named all my cars that I really liked. Yep, the gender is male, I hear the brass clanging every now and then when I step on the throttle .
Thanks Cruiter. We have much to learn about the computer on wheels!

Last edited by Cruiter; 03-30-13 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-30-13, 05:28 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Unless it's been changed since the 2010 model (it's possible), the mike is in the mirror. Try orating in that direction and see how it goes.
I think you're right. It may have changed after your's at the mid-year model update. It could be up in the overhead console with telephone/SOS/Destination Assist microphone(s).

Still as you said, in the direction of the mirror.
Old 03-31-13, 08:12 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm one of the bunch where I find it generally works 99% of the time for me. Volume wise, I speak to it at about the same volume level I would use for speaking to someone in the back seat, all windows closed. As far as speech goes, I guess the nearest I could describe it would be as if I was giving commands to a dog. I make sure to clearly enunciate each word, keeping the tonal quality as an instruction (as opposed to a question or any other variation), but also to make sure not to unnaturally break up the words into separate units of speech.

My 2 cents anyway...
Old 04-02-13, 10:32 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
I'm one of the bunch where I find it generally works 99% of the time for me. Volume wise, I speak to it at about the same volume level I would use for speaking to someone in the back seat, all windows closed. As far as speech goes, I guess the nearest I could describe it would be as if I was giving commands to a dog. I make sure to clearly enunciate each word, keeping the tonal quality as an instruction (as opposed to a question or any other variation), but also to make sure not to unnaturally break up the words into separate units of speech.

My 2 cents anyway...
+1 on this!
Old 04-04-13, 12:43 PM
hank1414
Driver School Candidate

I have an RX450h as of March1 2013.The few times she understands the command given she says "is that correct" I answer "yes" then she doesn't understand "yes" and tells me to ask for help????
She has problems with many words but she has never understood the word "WEATHER".
A friend has a Sante Fe Hyundai he can adjust his voice following the manual to the GPS command system.
His vehicle cost about half of what mine cost.
Old 04-04-13, 04:18 PM
Ev43
Driver School Candidate

Hank 1414...yes, that is exactly how my nav responds. I don't know why "yes" is so difficult for the system to interpret.
Old 04-05-13, 06:21 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hank 1414...yes, that is exactly how my nav responds. I don't know why "yes" is so difficult for the system to interpret.
Are you trying to answer "YES" right away?
let the Navi finish the whole question, pause for a while then give your response.

My wife used to have this problem. She treats the Navi just like any other person where she " unwillingly" cuts them of while their talking.. and the result is a disaster.

Quick Reply: Navigation not recognizing my voice commands