RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation not recognizing my voice commands

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-13, 08:37 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Unlike some I know, you can shut the 'Ahem Lady' up by just pressing her button when she starts talking , it's the same as letting her rant on. Then you can go ahead and speak your command.
Originally Posted by markrivers
Are you trying to answer "YES" right away?
let the Navi finish the whole question, pause for a while then give your response.

My wife used to have this problem. She treats the Navi just like any other person where she " unwillingly" cuts them of while their talking.. and the result is a disaster.
Old 04-06-13, 05:52 AM
hank1414
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

markrivers..thank you for that info that of not waiting to say yes, I will try that. However after 50 times she has never understood the word 'weather'.
Perhaps after some getting use to the NAVI hopefully we will have a better understanding???
Old 04-06-13, 09:29 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

@ Cruiter, you know what, i do that when i'm driving.
However, when " Mrs. Robinson" is behind the wheel, i learned from experience, NOT to push any buttons. Literally and Figuratively.
It's no fun sleeping at the dog house. LOL!
Old 03-21-15, 08:58 AM
CerealKill
Driver School Candidate

Among uncountable other examples, I can not have my girlfriend and my father as phone voice tags because, according to my car, "Sherri" sounds to much like "Dad"
Old 08-26-17, 07:36 PM
Yechave
Driver School Candidate

I bought A CPO 2013 RX350 four months ago. I took the car back to Lehigh Valley Lexus four times because voice recognition and the navigation system did not respond to my commands. I was told they checked it out and it worked. I took it to another dealer and they told me it worked as good as they do, what voice didn't do you could manually imput.

Well, I then took the car to another dealership with the intent to trade the car. I test drove a 2015 RX350 with the same voice recognition and navigation system, and it worked flawlessly!

It had nothing to do with what or how I talked. It worked!

I am now trying to get a dealer to replace this on my car.

Now a word about Lehigh Valley Lexus. These folks sold me a CPO for over $30k. That's what I expected. What I found after the purchases was, the car needed a windshield, the rear door was not closing properly, the rear glass and door were scratched. In my attempt to locate the previous owner to verify that damage was on the car when I bought it, I visited Lehigh Valley Lexus' dealership's body shop, Duncan auto in Allentown, PA.

Turns out the car had been taken there for an estimate, but it was fixed elsewhere and not done properly. Damage estimates to the car were $2900 for paint and rear glass. The nav screen and bezzle were scratched, estimated at $1500. The windshield was replaced after I refused to let them repair the stove chips that were in my line of vision.

Texts to Carl Hesse (GM) were never answered. The last visit to their dealership to have the voice recognition and navigation tested, they disconnected my surveillance camera and left me with 2.5 gallons of gas.

A week later the owner Peter Cooper called and quite rudely tells me I am not welcome and to never come back! We spent $110,000 buying three cars from this place.

I allege they are in breech of contract.

Long story short and the reason I went through the trouble to post here is, Lexus did make some of these voice recognition systems that do work.

Last edited by Yechave; 08-26-17 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 05:42 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Weird post
Old 08-27-17, 08:39 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I gave up on my '13 RXh's voice recognition almost four years ago.

There are only two words that I'd really love for her to respond to: "Pause Navigation" or "shut up".

Lexus Enform's navigation works fairly well.
Old 08-27-17, 10:50 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Nav is only one use of voice command. How about other functions such as phone?

Salim
Old 08-27-17, 04:14 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Yechave
I bought A CPO 2013 RX350 four months ago. I took the car back to Lehigh Valley Lexus four times because voice recognition and the navigation system did not respond to my commands. I was told they checked it out and it worked. I took it to another dealer and they told me it worked as good as they do, what voice didn't do you could manually imput.
Well, I then took the car to another dealership with the intent to trade the car. I test drove a 2015 RX350 with the same voice recognition and navigation system, and it worked flawlessly!
It had nothing to do with what or how I talked. It worked!
I am now trying to get a dealer to replace this on my car.
Now a word about Lehigh Valley Lexus. These folks sold me a CPO for over $30k. That's what I expected. What I found after the purchases was, the car needed a windshield, the rear door was not closing properly, the rear glass and door were scratched. In my attempt to locate the previous owner to verify that damage was on the car when I bought it, I visited Lehigh Valley Lexus' dealership's body shop, Duncan auto in Allentown, PA.
Turns out the car had been taken there for an estimate, but it was fixed elsewhere and not done properly. Damage estimates to the car were $2900 for paint and rear glass. The nav screen and bezzle were scratched, estimated at $1500. The windshield was replaced after I refused to let them repair the stove chips that were in my line of vision.
Texts to Carl Hesse (GM) were never answered. The last visit to their dealership to have the voice recognition and navigation tested, they disconnected my surveillance camera and left me with 2.5 gallons of gas.
A week later the owner Peter Cooper called and quite rudely tells me I am not welcome and to never come back! We spent $110,000 buying three cars from this place.
I allege they are in breech of contract.
Long story short and the reason I went through the trouble to post here is, Lexus did make some of these voice recognition systems that do work.
In all fairness you cannot compare the software of a 1213 with that of a 2015 as in this field 2 yrs are a lifetime and software improves every year, you ought to have compared with another 2013.
Did you go through the speech recognition procedure? There is a procedure to follow so that the computer can recognize your manner of speech. I too had problems because i expected the computer to know that I am in Ontario, but it does not and if I don't specify it it takes me all over the US. Bummer!
Old 08-28-17, 08:56 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

try saying "Sepulveda Boulevard" and/or "Rancho Cugamonga."

Toyota should stop paying for whomever the outsourcing partners is and just license the darn thing from Google. Or just spend the money on making a seamless connectivity between your phone and the car.
Old 08-28-17, 09:11 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Toyota uses the same program as Apple